Old December 2, 2001, 08:52   #1
Ralf
King

Local Time: 18:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Editing the Forbidden palace build-costs
The forbidden palace costs 300 shields to build. In cities very close to the capitol city, thats overcomable.

But the problem is that you want to build them far away, in cities plagued with very high shield-corruption - and then you need it the most; under despotism and monarchy gov-types. Sometimes, these cities only produces 1-3 shields per turn - the rest is wasted.

In order to make this mini-wonder a little more overcomeable; why not tweak the Civ-editor -> Improvements and wonders tab -> Forbidden palace? Change the cost from 30 (= 300) to 20 (= 200). That makes as shield-expensive as the Colossus-wonder. While you at it; why not change the Palace-relocation build-costs as well? From 40 (= 400) to 30 (= 300).
Old December 2, 2001, 08:56   #2
Wrong_shui
Warlord

Local Time: 17:51
not a bad point
Old December 2, 2001, 13:12   #3
Ferdi
Warlord

Local Time: 19:51
Why not to make all "corrupted shields" available only to build the forbidden palace? This is not realistic but no one said that civIII is!
Old December 2, 2001, 13:31   #4
Ralf
King

Local Time: 18:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Ferdi
Why not to make all "corrupted shields" available only to build the forbidden palace? This is not realistic but no one said that civIII is!
Hmm - well, why not? If so, then the 300 shield-cost should remain unchanged, or perhaps even raised to 400. This idea cant be tweaked through the editor however - its up to the team at Firaxis to make this change.
Old December 2, 2001, 17:00   #5
HugoHillbilly
Warlord

Local Time: 12:51
In order to maximize the use of your forbidden palace it should be built relatively close to your palace anyway. As stated in many strategy threads the optimal corruption fighting empire is a bar-bell shape with the palace/forbidden palace in the middle. I do this in every game (usually relocating both Palace and building the forbidden one) after Ive decided to stop expanding. Ive had no problems building it, and Ive had no real problems with corruption. (only on cities I build ridiculously far away to grab resources or as a forward base against another Civ)
Old December 2, 2001, 18:18   #6
TitanTim
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:51
The last response is pretty good except that I don't stop expanding nor sit with my first few cities. I conquer.

To combat this, try this strategy. Use the barbell idea but build the two palaces close to but not right at the edges of your Empire. Begin by building the Forbidden Palace very close to the original Palace. After it's built, which shouldn't take long, build your new palace out in the boonies. With this strategy, the Forbidden Palace stays close to your original cites, near where your old palace stood, and now your "real" palace can move around where it makes most sense to do so as you expand.
Old December 2, 2001, 21:40   #7
Vonotar
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:51
Quote:
Originally posted by HugoHillbilly
In order to maximize the use of your forbidden palace it should be built relatively close to your palace anyway. As stated in many strategy threads the optimal corruption fighting empire is a bar-bell shape with the palace/forbidden palace in the middle.

Well as a regular Zulu player I have my capital in the south west of Africa and I always build my forbidden palace in the Egyptian capital this I find sorts out corruption problems for Africa, Southern Europe, the Middle East and even makes most of the western South American continent worthwhile