Old December 3, 2001, 02:27   #1
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 12:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I challenge Soren to a duel.
Okay, enough is enough. I have suffered through the utter lameness of this game without resorting to violence but no more. I want a piece of this Soren guy.

For the fifth consectutive game I have found a ton of strategic resources on an island. It is clear at this point that Soren has done this on purpose.

In this one I have the tech only for iron and horses, the island has four iron and two horse resources.

Are you out of your mind Soren!

Additionally, once again I have watched for 2000 years as the AI has failed to connect its iron resource. This is just stupid. And yes, the AI had the tech. A temple and a road, or a colony would have done it.

But nooooooooo.......just keeps pumping out archers.

Even worse, in the civfanatics GOTM, the Romans had horses connected to Rome for Christ sake and made all of two horsemen while I whittled away at their empire with my 30 horse units.

What is with that? That is only two horse units at something like 230 BC, with the horse resource TWO HEXES FROM ROME!

The only way to fix this is a good ole butt kicking. Soren, put up your dukes.
Old December 3, 2001, 02:36   #2
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 12:54
oh, i forgot to mention...
the other island with deset and plains next to this one. Who wants to bet that there will be less than 4 saltpeter/oil resources on that one. I predict a total of 10 strategic resources on these two islands and would not be surprised to see more than a dozen.
Old December 3, 2001, 02:54   #3
Monoriu
Warlord

Local Time: 17:54
1. Yeah I have seen 4 rubber sitting side-by-side on a remote island as well. I think an uneven distribution is intentional, otherwise there will be no purpose to the entire strategic resource system. Heck in the real world resources are also not evenly distributed.

2. AI not connecting strategic resources: yes that's a problem they need to fix.

3. calm down, man
Old December 3, 2001, 02:58   #4
Frito
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Monoriu
2. AI not connecting strategic resources: yes that's a problem they need to fix.
Wow, I have never seen them not connect resources. They allways connect them in my games. What level are you playing on...maybe they're slower to do so on easier levels??
Old December 3, 2001, 02:59   #5
Badtz Maru
Prince

Weird, three times I have seen the AI build a colony on a distant strategic resource. It seems pretty smart to me.
Old December 3, 2001, 03:02   #6
Monoriu
Warlord

I am playing on Deity. The situation I described happened on my previous emperor game. Yes it eventually connects to the resources, but there are 2 problems:

1. The AI doesn't give it a high enough priority.
2. If the resource stays out of the city radius, especially between 2 cities, then the AI won't build a new city or a colony to get the resource even if it doesn't have it already.
Old December 3, 2001, 03:27   #7
Frito
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Monoriu
I am playing on Deity. The situation I described happened on my previous emperor game. Yes it eventually connects to the resources, but there are 2 problems:

1. The AI doesn't give it a high enough priority.
2. If the resource stays out of the city radius, especially between 2 cities, then the AI won't build a new city or a colony to get the resource even if it doesn't have it already.
Your 100% sure that they don't already have the resourse or that an friend isn't trading it to them...I've noticed that on diety the ai will 'cheat' and always be able to trade for a resourse w/ a friend.

Thats so wierd to me because in all 50+ games I've played they always try to connect a resourse as soon as they get the tech.
Old December 3, 2001, 03:33   #8
Monoriu
Warlord

It happens when a resource is 2 squares from a city, but 2 diagonal squares so it falls just outside the city radius. Or the resources are on a remote island.

Not sure about the trading part. But a good AI should connect to the resources and terminate the trade.
Old December 3, 2001, 04:08   #9
Ethered
Settler

You think that having too much of a strategic resource is a bad thing?? I am playing a game that has only a few mountains with iron on them. This is definately a bad thing, since I haven't been very nice to the other civs. So, I am at 1970 with swordsmen and knights when I am lucky to get a few horses. . Ok, I am done.
Old December 3, 2001, 04:34   #10
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 19:54
in my games, AI is crazy about resources and connects to them ASAP
i play now with indians. i had to survive without iron, without horses, i got 1 saltpeper, 1 rubber, had to figth for oil and it turned out that the oil cities were also sitting on aluminium.

what can i say...this game is fun! i really had to fight and bribe for those resources.....
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 3, 2001, 05:37   #11
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:54
yea sometimes the city is sitting right on the resource!
Old December 3, 2001, 07:00   #12
sophist
Prince

As far as I know, Soren didn't program the map generator, just the AI. But the map's are supposed to clump resources like that. I mean, if you wanted to have the resource available to every civ, you might as well go in with the editor and get rid of resource requirements. The clumping is to force you to trade. Sometimes it really sucks. Other times you get lucky. That's the way it is. Play it or restart.
Old December 3, 2001, 07:09   #13
Wrong_shui
Warlord

can we bet on who will win? I put $0.0000000001 on soren.
Old December 3, 2001, 23:09   #14
BigNick
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong_shui
can we bet on who will win? I put $0.0000000001 on soren.
Put me in for $5 on Soren's turtle. I'll even give odds...

N.
Old December 4, 2001, 00:36   #15
Barbotte
Settler

Soren should not have any trouble beating up a 12 years old kid.
hehehehe