Old December 3, 2001, 14:58   #1
Melloj
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I am furious forever and ever.
I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but I would like to bring out up regardless.

In my game as the Greeks, I wanted a particular Chinese town that had some resources next to it that I needed. The chinese did not even know about these resources since they were not too technically advanced.

We had a peace treaty, but basically nothing else. At first I demanded the town, thinking my superior military but work as an effective threat.

However Mao rebuffed my generous offer, and became "furious" at me. Seeing no other choice, I declared war, and quite easily capture the town. Obviously Mao was furious and started sending his pikemen and archers, which had a fun time against my musketmen and riflemen.

So after several turns of this, I contacted him, and we developed a peace treaty. This was about 1750 or so. For the next 200 years Mao remained furious with me, even though we signed trade treaties, and so on. In these 200 years, he repeatedly Sneak attacked me, and every single time lost a city for his efforts.

Now my question in all of this is, shouldnt the AI let bygones be bygones after 2 centuries??? I realize they probably wont sign a mutual defense treaty with me any time soon, but to stay furious for so long regardless of future cooperation and gifts on my part is a tad unrealistic.

Any thoughts?
Old December 3, 2001, 15:04   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 12:56
Different civs act different ways toward diplomacy. China, and other militaristic civs, do not easily forgive a military slight. They also consider your conduct with other civs. If you've betrayed them and others, you've made yourself an enemy for life.
Old December 3, 2001, 15:06   #3
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Some Muslims are still pissed about the Crusades.
Bosnia is still an ethic hellhole.
Ireland has Catholic sects fighting over stuff that happened in the 1600s.

Some people just hold grudges.
Old December 3, 2001, 15:10   #4
Libertarian
King

And don't y'all forget the War of Northern Aggression.

We haven't.
Old December 3, 2001, 15:23   #5
Frito
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
And don't y'all forget the War of Northern Aggression.

We haven't.
Old December 3, 2001, 15:24   #6
DATarbell

It has been my experience (OK, somewhat limited by how recently the game was released!) that other Civ's do value different of their cities differently. For example, in my current game (having fun with the 1st Apolyton tournament map) I took two specific cities from the Greeks--in order to deprive them of much-needed resources. They took great offense at that, and threw everything they had at me in an effort to regain those cities. OTOH, I took another strategically insignificant city from them at another time and they had little or no reaction.

As I recall, the resources that those two cities controlled would not yet have been visible to them--but perhaps I am remembering wrong.

Old December 3, 2001, 15:43   #7
Melloj
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:56
I know for a fact the China couldnt have seen these resources. And this was my first "betrayal", as I had only been attacked by the Romans before (oh how I laughed as Rome burned).

Maybe this is another one of those examples of AI telepathy.

In a classic example. everyone was at war with the zulu who were starting to get beaten down, except for me.

However at the same time I had very good relations with all the civs. I noticed that the Zulu had a bit of uranium in their terrirory, but didnt have space flight, so no tactical nukes.

Thinking of my future, with an aim towards weakening my current allies, I gave the Zulu space flight, hoping they could do some nuclear damage.

Next turn, everyone declares war on me???? Geee what flag did I trip, how could anyone have known it was me who gave them space flight, I didnt even think that kind of knowledge was possible in the game.