View Poll Results: Poll: What is bad about civ3? (multiple options)
Captured cities defect too easy 30 7.11%
Peacetime culture assimilation is too strong 8 1.90%
Combat is too random 26 6.16%
Bombardment cannot kill ships 32 7.58%
Planes cannot kill ships/ships cannot shoot back at planes 44 10.43%
Worker management is tedious 23 5.45%
AI's abuse of borders 43 10.19%
AI plopping cities in the center of your empire 35 8.29%
New cities get their 1x1 border, even if culture should give border to another civ 15 3.55%
The tech tree is messed up 17 4.03%
Resources are too scarce. 13 3.08%
Corruption is way too high 42 9.95%
Space race has been made less interesting 17 4.03%
Diplomatic victory less interesting 29 6.87%
No MP wiht release 20 4.74%
Too many bugs 28 6.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 3, 2001, 14:58   #1
simwiz2
Warlord

Local Time: 12:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Culture Poll
poll: is culture assimilation too strong?

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old December 3, 2001, 15:20   #2
Venger
King

Local Time: 11:56
Well, if it's about culture, I have issues, but your poll is really a bug list for the game...I cannot in good conscience simply check them all, although I have problems with all of them (as far as I can tell)...

Venger
Old December 3, 2001, 18:55   #3
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:56
The biggee is corruption. It isn't so much that corruption is too high, as it is that too little can be done about it. My main issue related to culture is the player can't tell how close his or another civ's cities are to jumping and can't be sure what measures will offset this. Some of the choices in the poll are actually strategic choices for the player, in there, more or less, on purpose. If you want sealed borders and no interloping cities, fight for it. Not worth a war? That's a choice on your part, not a bug.
Old December 3, 2001, 23:22   #4
BigNick
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'd like to add in pollution, too - I've been trying to work out for a week how it calculates global warming (as opposed to "wreck-a-square" pollution) and I just can't do it.
Old December 3, 2001, 23:33   #5
TechWins
King

Local Time: 10:56
This poll is disturbing, because Civ3 has so much negative criticism, although, it is rightfully so.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old December 3, 2001, 23:52   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Civ 3 is an excellent game. It was rushed, however, and thus is not perfect. There are some areas that could be changed to improve Civ 3, but hopefully these will be covered in the patch.
Old December 4, 2001, 04:38   #7
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 19:56
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
This poll is disturbing, because Civ3 has so much negative criticism, although, it is rightfully so.
nah, i am not worried, since most of the votes are from 'spearman killed my tank' crowd
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 4, 2001, 04:45   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:56
I voted for planes not being able to destroy ships. I think the programmers should be forced to watch the crappy movie pearl harbor continously for the next 30 days.
Old December 4, 2001, 05:02   #9
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 19:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I voted for planes not being able to destroy ships. I think the programmers should be forced to watch the crappy movie pearl harbor continously for the next 30 days.
why? it's crappy

they should also read more about sitting bull v. caster and make horseman able to kill modern armor
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 4, 2001, 05:37   #10
kailhun
Warlord

Local Time: 17:56
Very odd. I saw this post and thought 'right, we'll select all of them'. But at every one I considered and thought 'Not really' or 'I've learned work around it or live with it'. In the end I selected none of them.

Robert
Old December 4, 2001, 05:41   #11
Nexus VI
Settler

Local Time: 18:56
Gimme resources or gimme death...

Old December 4, 2001, 05:42   #12
kailhun
Warlord

Local Time: 17:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Blaupanzer
The biggee is corruption. It isn't so much that corruption is too high, as it is that too little can be done about it. My main issue related to culture is the player can't tell how close his or another civ's cities are to jumping and can't be sure what measures will offset this. Some of the choices in the poll are actually strategic choices for the player, in there, more or less, on purpose. If you want sealed borders and no interloping cities, fight for it. Not worth a war? That's a choice on your part, not a bug.
Yup, I'd say the biggest problem in Civ III is that corruption can not be tackled effectively. I built a courthouse in a city and it didn't even dent the corruption. But maybe the patch will fix this. This forum has given enough ideas for that.

Robert