Old December 3, 2001, 23:10   #1
Vytae
Warlord

Local Time: 09:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Elite Guard & CO
Awhile back i noticed in the alpha.txt that theres units which when totally upgraded have special names,ie infantry is called elite guard instead of shard stasis shock troosp etc. Ive been unable to get these names ever on any of my units,and everyway ive tried dosent work.

there under #Chassis in the alpha.txt

Another quick question. How do you put faction leaders like Miriam and yang on passive so they build better? is it in alpha.txt or there own .txt's?
Old December 4, 2001, 14:00   #2
T-hawk
C4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Prince

Local Time: 13:57
It's based on cost. I think any unit that costs 8+ mineral rows gets one of the "large" names. I almost never hit that, although I've seen the computer build Shock Troops of something like a 16-6-1*2. I have built a couple "Megafoil" and "Battleship" units on sea chassis.

As for your second question, yes it is in their own .txt's. This is a bit confusing, because the _sample template_ for the faction.txt files is in alpha.txt! But the actual data is in the separate faction.txt files.
Old December 4, 2001, 15:09   #3
Ned
King

Local Time: 09:57
I use the Faction Editor. On the leader tab, set the use of force selection to "Never," and also select interest in Wealth.

Another way is to use Notepad. Open for example Hive.txt. on the first line after #HIVE, you will see M, followed by five numbers separated by commas. Set these number to -1,0,1,1,1,

The first number is corresponds to "passive." The last four correspond to research interests, in order, Conquer (Power), Tech, Wealth, and Growth (Explore).

At the end of the next line, you may also want to add ", UNIT, 1." This will give the faction a free former at start.

If you want to open all faction files at once for quick updating, use Explorer or Find to select all .txt files in the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri folder, group them by size, and you will see the faction .txt files group in the 4-5 kilobyte range. Select them all and then select "OPEN." They should all open at once in multiple windows.

Ned

Last edited by Ned; December 4, 2001 at 15:43.
Old December 5, 2001, 01:38   #4
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 13:57
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
special names for Elite units
The special names for Elite units are applied only to units produced as Elite units, not units whose Morale becomes Elite through successful combat.

If you have a high enough faction-wide Morale (most likely combined with a Command Center and Bioenhancement Center) to produce Elite units, they will get the special name. If your faction's overall Morale is not high enough, the best you'll get is Commando, with the regular names.

So, instead of producing Infantry/Squad (offensive unit, weapon strength greater than or equal to armor strength) or Sentinels/Garrison (defensive unit, weapon strength less than armor strength) at Commando Morale, you'll get your Shock Troops (offensive) or Elite Guard (defensive) at Elite Morale.

Last edited by gwillybj; December 5, 2001 at 02:15.