Old December 4, 2001, 05:50   #1
rid102
Warlord

Local Time: 17:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Shift-C Clear bug?
OK found what I think might be a possible bug but I'm not sure, please tell me what you think:

If you send multiple workers (might also work with just a single worker, I've not confirmed) to clean pollution (Shift-C) but that square also happens to be forest (or other "clearable" terrain) then the workers often also clear the pollution and then clear the forest also, even though I didn't order them to.

With Civ2 there was no real chance of this happening as the key shortcuts for "clean pollution" and "clear forest" were difference ('p' and 'i' IIRC). However, in Civ3 is seems that the game marks the workers as "clearing" once you press shift-C and then clears the entire tile of everything on it - not just the pollution.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this really a bug or is it just a "feature"?
rid102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2001, 06:02   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:58
certainly sounds like a bug.

how many workers did you use?. It is possible that there is a limit to how fast you can clear pollution from forest. And putting any addition workers on it has no effect- but if you press ctrl-c with them, they clear the forest.
Old December 4, 2001, 06:05   #3
rid102
Warlord

I've had it occur several times, I just wondered if anyone else had seen it.

Most of the time I'm using at least two workers and up to seven or eight in some cases, although I've seen it happen twice with just one worker.

Quote:
It is possible that there is a limit to how fast you can clear pollution from forest. And putting any addition workers on it has no effect- but if you press ctrl-c with them, they clear the forest.
I think that might be the case as I've never managed to clear pollution in a single turn (i.e. clear it up the same turn it appears which you could do in Civ2).

It seems as though workers just keep clearing until they can clear no more...
Old December 4, 2001, 06:16   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Im presuming that you used the Shift-C key combination (which is the same for clearing pollution and clearing forests). Hopefully this issue will be addressed in the patch, but in the meantime, heres some hints for this type of situation:

Use Shift-P - this tells a worker to automatically clear pollution. Good for when you have a nice rail network. The workers come back under your control once there is no more pollution.

Or manually:
Just click on the "Clear Pollution" button if there is a forest underneath.

On a related note, ive had a bug with my workers. If i manually get a single worker clearing pollution, other workers refuse to go help him when i use the Shift-P command. Shift-P works at other times, but not when a worker is told directly by me to clear pollution.
Old December 4, 2001, 06:34   #5
rid102
Warlord

Quote:
Im presuming that you used the Shift-C key combination (which is the same for clearing pollution and clearing forests).
Yes, I am.

Quote:
Hopefully this issue will be addressed in the patch
Is this a known problem then? Have you seen this happen also?
Old December 4, 2001, 15:20   #6
DATarbell

It happens whether you use the keyboard shortcut or the button at the bottom-middle of the screen. I presume that it is because the keyboard shortcut is the same, and I am hoping that it is one of the many things fixed by the patch. We should know tomorrow, if/when the patch readme is released!