Old May 13, 2000, 21:20   #1
Dracon

Events in CivIII?
What kind of events would you all like for CivIII scenarios?

Old May 13, 2000, 22:04   #2
OrangeSfwr

Another WWII would be AWESOME but it has to be the best scenario, well thought out and everything. And whole world, not just Europe. It'll only work with a bigger map though

Also, a good Vietnam War, Middle East (Israeli conflict), Cuban Missile Crisis, Roman empire, Korean War, and maybe some well thought out "future" wars. E.G. India/Pakistan, China/U.S., EU vs NAFTA? Imagination can lead us to some really cool scenarios. But I'd like to see many more historical ones as well. I love playing scenarios, but we have to be sure that they're never the same game twice.

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Old May 13, 2000, 22:59   #3
Par4
King

Local Time: 16:20
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I could go for some war in the pacific scenarios. Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal all infantry scenarios with japanese machine gun nests no tanks. Battle of Midway. Lots of carrier warfare. As for future all kinds of stuff China vs US definately(peoples general good ground warfare for this) India and Pakistan would have to be set up with US world missle defense or its gonna be alot of nuking. EU vs russia, EU vs OPEC, EU vs NAFTA, EU vs US, EU vs Africa, EU vs every possible combination of countries in the world More ancient history ones too like the assyrian siege of jerusalem, alexanders conquest of persia, poleponisan(sp) war, punic wars, hun invasion, mongol invasion, construction of the great wall, hundred years war all kinds of stuff. Civ3 needs to be real open to mods like civ2.

------------------
I use this email
(stupid cant use hotmail)
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse
Old May 13, 2000, 23:14   #4
Dracon

what I meant is what kind of cool new events should they include for the events.txt script for scenario developers.

Old May 14, 2000, 07:04   #5
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 02:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
double post, sorry
[This message has been edited by VetLegion (edited May 14, 2000).]
Old May 14, 2000, 07:05   #6
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 02:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I understand what you mean.

I am not very familiar with civ2/CTP event capabilities. I am investigating it.

Perhaps the triggers are easy, I would like extensive creation possibilities, besides CreateUnit:

CreateCiv( location, other arguments.. )
CreateTile( location.. attributes )
CreateCity( owner... pop, etc )
CreateAdvisor( "AIfile.txt", or behaviour params )

maybe like this to allow extensability:
@start paramlist
@end paramslist
create( gameobject, paramlist )

where there would be a txt file gameobj.txt
with a name of the object and a list of variables that can be altered (and most should be):

gameobj.txt
; note! caps are a must-obey!

@start City
owner_civ
improvement
citygold
@end City

@start Civ
gold
tech_accumulated
name
mindset ; human or AI
@end Civ
end of gameobj.txt

so for example in scenario file to create rome:
@start paramlist
owner_civ=Romans
name=Rome
location=70,50
pop=10000
improvement=none
@end paramlist
create( City, paramlist )

This is a model that would allow a parser to create game objects that are defined in gameobj.txt (which is a simplified .h file, with only those things allowed to modify)
A developer should update that file whenever he adds an game object (component) to the game engine.

For triggers, I think they can be mostly divided to Build and Action triggers.
Build can maybe also be made independent of current game state (I mean amount of things implemented):
@paramlist
owner_civ=Germans
@end paramlist
if built( Unit, paramlist )
if built( City, ...
( similar with destroyed )

As for actions, there can be many, and if anyone can make a big list of them I would like it if he would post it

UnitMove, UnitAttack, TechDiscovered

Probably best to write down all civ2, ctp, smac triggers and to see if there is something to add.

As I said, I just started to learn the civ2/Civ2ToT macro language, so I am not sure what do they already have.

There is a plan to make a macro language in openciv3, so I am brainstorming here...
Old May 14, 2000, 10:49   #7
OrangeSfwr

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant about the Scenarios. Maybe I'll start a new thread about new Scenario's that could be included with Civ 3.

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Old May 14, 2000, 17:30   #8
Dracon

Yeah! What they could do is have AI presets that events can trigger off in another civ!
Think of the possibilities....
"King Hammurabi, after the tragic murder of his beloved wife, has vowed not to rest until he finds the killer." Then execute an AI preset that would change him from a Fair, Peaceful ruler into a Firm Militarist, emotionally empty and remorseless.
Or, it could represent a bribe of a leader. You could bribe or blackmail a leader to change his attitude. Or! In the future you could use a spy to implant a mind control chip that would change the enemy leader's attitude! The possibilities are endless!!!

Old May 15, 2000, 17:45   #9
Dracon

I'm compiling a list of all the new events ideas I have.