Old December 5, 2001, 05:51   #1
Expatriate
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Barbarian Workers?
Yesterday in my most recent game of Civ III, I noticed something odd. I was about to order one of my workers to start clearing out a jungle when I saw that it would take him no less than 48 turns! This was under republic so I would expect it to take 24 turns, but it was somehow doubled. I looked a bit closer at him and then I discovered that when I rightclicked him he was called "(Barbarian) Worker" just like some of my captured workers are "(Chinese) Workers" or whatever.

I honestly have no idea how or when I aquired this guy and when I went through all my workers I found another on of the same kind.

Has anyone seen something like this? Any idea how these barbarian workers can show up?
Old December 5, 2001, 07:26   #2
Cedronian
Prince

I think I got one of those when I disbanded a city by building a worker.
Old December 5, 2001, 07:39   #3
IncreduloDriver
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I noticed this and posted a thread about it a few weeks ago. Apparently, it happens to lots of people. My experience with (Barbarian) Workers comes from forcing a worker out of recently conquered city. Also, in the box in the lower right, it showed the unit's name as a bunch of boxes and y's with umlauts, suggesting that it is a bug and not intentional.

...don't you hate pants?
Old December 5, 2001, 07:50   #4
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 14:00
maybe when u destroy a civ the workers from the disbanded cities become 'barbarian'

maybe...
Old December 5, 2001, 09:04   #5
Expatriate
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
maybe when u destroy a civ the workers from the disbanded cities become 'barbarian'

maybe...
That was one of my thoughts too, but no civs had been destroyed at that point. The chinese were wiped out by me and the japanse a few centuries later, but all civs were still alive and kicking when I noticed the bug.

Incredulo, I saw those strange symbols in the name box too, so it looks like we had the same bug.
Old December 5, 2001, 12:00   #6
madmario
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:00
I have had workers from long assimilated civilizations still around in the endgame. No idea where the umlaut y's and boxes come from.

-mario
- Prince Hal
Old December 5, 2001, 13:21   #7
EvilKosh
Settler

Local Time: 12:00
According to the list of fixes in the patch, this bug has been addressed, at least for workers from captured cities. Check out the patch thread for more details.
Old December 5, 2001, 13:39   #8
xane
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:00
The bug happens when you take over a city and wind it down through starvation, then build a Worker or Settler to finish off the final 1 or 2 population and abandon the city. The Worker/Settler ends up as "Barbarian", it operates normally but you can't join it to any of your cities.

I think the point is when the final 1 or 2 population are not your own civilization, I suppose this could happen in a city you'd previously captured, built up with your own citizens and then abandoned, it may still happen that the final population is foreign.

Fixed in 1.16f
Old December 5, 2001, 18:42   #9
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 14:00
Quote:
Originally posted by xane
The bug happens when you take over a city and wind it down through starvation, then build a Worker or Settler to finish off the final 1 or 2 population and abandon the city. The Worker/Settler ends up as "Barbarian", it operates normally but you can't join it to any of your cities.

I think the point is when the final 1 or 2 population are not your own civilization, I suppose this could happen in a city you'd previously captured, built up with your own citizens and then abandoned, it may still happen that the final population is foreign.

Fixed in 1.16f
well i guess that wraps things up...