Old December 5, 2001, 21:15   #181
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 14:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Did anyone ever actually promise anything?
Yes. Do the research if you are curious.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old December 5, 2001, 21:17   #182
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 11:01
Re: The patch will need patching methinks
Quote:
Originally posted by Elowan
However:

Why did they include the ability to replant forests if you can only benefit once per game?

Why did they further cripple Great Lighthouse? In CivII, only the human player seemed to need this anyway since AI ships were able - by some magical means - to sail the ocean blue even in Long Ships. This seems to have carried over into CivIII and now the patch will make that situation worse.

Why didn't they fix resource depletion? Let me elaborate: say you research Iron Working. Naturally, you build a road to the source even though you cannot yet build Swordsman. The iron will deplete before you can use it! Iron can't evaporate! Where'd it go and why?

Even if you don't trade maps with the AI - it seems to know where vacant territory within your realm lies.

If I can't plant a city within the cultural border of a rival Civ - how come the AI can?
By the paragraph:
1. I'll bet it's so you can have a forest square for your city to work (i.e, not a grassland or plains)! Or you can plant forests on a square that wasn't forest, and THEN cut it (oops, that would defeat the whole patch item because you could just rotate the squares it is done on - just never mind). Or, to sabotage a square that someone else may be soon using (after their city radius grows).

2. I haven't seen evidence of AI galleys over the ocean. OTH, my current game is dependent on the Lighthouse - I am currently settling a new continent around 1000 AD (and praying for a leader to build my alternate capital (FP)).

3. Hey, it's just a chance thing, ya know? Maybe your civ only THOUGHT it was there (if it disappeared before you used it, it must have been a false alarm). That the breaks, man. I've been there.

4. It's been discussed before how the AI knows your map. I know how that I get map updates long after I trade maps. If the AI knows your map all the time, then it's to your advantage to get whatever you can for your map, in addition to the continued communications with the civ. The AI's plopping a city in your (high culture) border gap is one of the items addressed in the patch listing (and clarified in this thread).

5. If the AI is plopping a city WITHIN your border, your reaction is YOUR responsibility! If this is happening to you, then they are in contempt of your military and is a result of YOUR neglect. LEARN from this lesson!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 5, 2001, 21:37   #183
joseph1944

Thank you for the patch.

Old December 5, 2001, 21:48   #184
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 15:01
What about the fortress ZOC?
Yeah, will you guys fix it?
Old December 5, 2001, 21:49   #185
kmj
Prince

Local Time: 13:01
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Yes. Do the research if you are curious.
Do the research? I.e. dig through piles and piles of ancient apolyton forum threads without direction? No thanks; and that's not exactly research. For a claim to have validity, it needs to be cited, right? I'm sure you've written papers before yin. But whatever, this really isn't nearly as important to me as it is to you, obviously. You could humor me by mentioning the things that were promised to you that weren't delivered, though.
Old December 5, 2001, 21:55   #186
Hunter Hutchins
Warlord

"1) Setting start locations via the editor still not possible?"

Isn't that done with the overlay button?
Old December 5, 2001, 21:56   #187
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

O.K. Don't do the 'research': Find it out yourself. I'm tired of reminding people of what was said by Firaxis when. Most people here have sudden memory loss the moment a shiny box or a post from Firaxis arrives.

If you are really curious, you'll find it yourself.

Old December 5, 2001, 21:58   #188
Falconius
Prince

A nice start, but...

1. Still no way to set starting positions? You've got to be kidding!

2. Nothing that speeds up the game between turns. What happened to the idea of stopping the AI from needlessly moving around its units?
Old December 5, 2001, 21:59   #189
Disk Killer
Warlord

Quote:
I was figuring the game should be released in April. Looks like the game will be polished beta quality at about that time. However, there will still be no MP, so I guess the XP will come out mid to late 2002, and that will take another patch or two before the Gold Edition comes out...hmmm.

So am I guessing I can buy the game you promised sometime in 2003? Just trying to plan my schedule. Thanks.
Yin, you've disappointed me with your recent posts. They are of extremely low quality humourwise and obviously have not had any sort of testing or quality control.

In fact, it appears you've rushed out your post without any care in the world for your millions of fans - I suppose I'll have to wait for your postings in 2003 before I see another quality post from you. In the meantime, feel free to continue to post patches every once in a while in a sad and feeble attempt to gain my approval.

Thanks.
Old December 5, 2001, 22:01   #190
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

That was a good try as far as trolling goes, but it's still minor league stuff. I have my scouts watching you, though.

Old December 5, 2001, 22:01   #191
Dravin
Chieftain

Actually the burden of proof is on yourself. It's your claim, support it. If you won't or can't then don't be suprised when people don't conceed your points.

Or can I claim the sky is forest green and demand everyone accept this as fact without offering any evidence. Besides, there are those of us who are new to the forum such as myself, why don't you humor me and let these promises be known.
Old December 5, 2001, 22:02   #192
Disk Killer
Warlord

Quote:
O.K. Don't do the 'research': Find it out yourself. I'm tired of reminding people of what was said by Firaxis when. Most people here have sudden memory loss the moment a shiny box or a post from Firaxis arrives.

If you are really curious, you'll find it yourself.
Actually, I am curious. I will do the research since you are too lazy to cite proofs for your arguments. Another bad post. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

I will definately return your post to my local software store.
Old December 5, 2001, 22:06   #193
Xentropy
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Local Time: 10:01
HUGE BUG not fixed?!
Omg, one of the largest bugs I've found in the game so far is not listed in the readme as having been fixed. If you get a tech from a goodie hut which should uncover a new type of resource, in v1.07f it does NOT do so. You are left forever not seeing horses or iron or whatever that tech should have shown you. Needless to say, this pretty well kills that game for you if you forget that this bug exists and don't reload an autosave before it scrolls off the list.

I went through the annoying registration process on this site JUST to post this. I severely hope that this was an oversight on the part of the readme.txt typist and not an oversight of the patch itself. PLEEEEEASE tell me this patch fixes this problem which has killed two of my games already!
Old December 5, 2001, 22:06   #194
zeace
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
Warlord

Everyone who is complaining about the lack of scenorios/good editor/starting locations/multiplayer and such should really be reading the posts/comments from Firaxis more closely. They've implied, on many occarions, that all these features exist, and are slated for an upcoming patch, but that they are being forced, presumably by infogames, to not release any details. They've never said such as verbosely as this, but read between the freakin lines...

I assume that infogames wants to force us to buy an expansion pack inorder to get these features. In my opinion this is a cheap way of selling the game. I certainly agree that I *expected* these features would come with the original game and I'm dissapointed that they aren't.

On the other hand, a number of people just seem to be whining.
If they actually cared about these features they'd have picked up the numerous hints dropped by the Firaxis team. Just settle down and enjoy the basic single player game for a while. When (not if) the multiplayer and scenarios come out, we'll all get to rediscover the game. The basic engine is very powerful and if the real scenario editor is as powerful as I'd expect from Firaxis, the scenarios we'll be creating will be great.

All in all, I really like the game and I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm sad that Infogames cheaped out and gave us the lame editor they did, and I hope they learn their lesson from the hundreds of whiners out there claiming that they're going to stop playing the game. On the other hand, I'll be first in line when the expansion comes out....

Ze Ace
Old December 5, 2001, 22:06   #195
Disk Killer
Warlord

Quote:
That was a good try as far as trolling goes, but it's still minor league stuff. I have my scouts watching you, though.
Ouch, he called me a troll!

I'm no troll, yin26. I do not post for the sake of being negative, believe it or not, however I do enjoy pointing out weak arguments and unsubstantiated claims...

I've been posting in various enviornments since my POPnet days, tell the truth. I am currently a minor poster on the [H]ard|Forum, which is major-league intensity compared to the stuff here.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, this is a Civ3 discussion forum after all. But I'm still chuckling about the minor league comment.
Old December 5, 2001, 22:07   #196
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

You are all Luke Skywalkers and I'm your Yoda.

Learn if you will.

Do. There is no try.

Old December 5, 2001, 22:07   #197
barefootbadass
Prince

Local Time: 18:01
Re: Re: Civilization III v1.16f Additions/Changes/Fixes
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

Is there a reason for this?
Is there a limit currently?
Well, that is probably to keep the game more stable and stuff I would guess. 512 cities is a huge number of cities. Civ 2 only allowed 256 cities and for that amount you had to deliberatly try to build that many cities practically. With 16 civs and a special pangaea map it might happen, probably not though because of cultural borders.
Old December 5, 2001, 22:16   #198
volcanohead
Warlord

Local Time: 19:01
OK Yoda, while you're here do me a favour and tell me why if you get bored of moving the hundreds of workers you have why don't you automate them? And don't say because the automate sucks for god's sake.

V
Old December 5, 2001, 22:22   #199
barefootbadass
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by sianews
Patch my ass. Your saying only 1 out of the 5 biggest problems have been fixed, you've got to be kidding me

Remains
1) Setting start locations via the editor still not possible?

Remains
2) How was corruption tweaked? # of cities, distance from capitol, both?

Remains
3) Anything done about AI unit shuffle?

Remains
4)Fortress fix

Fixed
5) Air superiotiy
Jerk. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. You are whining before you even get to play it.

The start locations thing isn't that big of a deal, and they are clearly working on it with the mods for grouping civs. Corruption was reduced, so that supposedly is no longer a problem. It sounds like some improvements that will help reduce ai shuffle are there(the stuff about not being able to infinitely delay war) but I doubt its completely gone. Fortress fix? WTF? Fortresses work for me, if you are talking about zoc. The units have to enter and adjacent square and leave, is it supposed to work differently?
Old December 5, 2001, 22:25   #200
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Yoda says, taking a deep sigh having had to state the obvious to too many these past 600 years:

"Automate sucks, it does. Programmed by swamp rats, it was."

Old December 5, 2001, 22:32   #201
smellymummy
King

i havent read through the entire thread, but I now know for sure that some of the people posting on this board are FIRAXIS.

Why?

Because of some comments and posts various individuals (yes more than one) have made, were clearly indicative that they had a game with unbroken features that are clearly being fixed with the upcomming patches.

Dan@firaxis has posted once something like "I tested your save and it worked fine..." then to only post shortly after stating "Sorry but it is a bug, the only reason it worked for me is because of the version I'm playing"

I say we, all apolyton users, do some undercover work
Old December 5, 2001, 22:32   #202
Disk Killer
Warlord

I went back to May
I went back to the May preview, six months before release.

Civilization III Preview
We catch up with Firaxis president Jeff Briggs to learn the latest on the next game in the Civilization series. FULL PREVIEW
[PREVIEW - POSTED: 05/15/01]

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...760837,00.html

The preview pretty much matches the game. To be honest, there is mention that multiplayer is not in the game until they get the single play experience the best it can be, which I suppose they could not do and still do multiplay and release it this year.

That's not exactly a written promise, though.

Am I supposed to be finding something more inflammatory?

"Your overconfidence is your weakness." - Luke Skywalker. I think it fits, "Yoda."
Old December 5, 2001, 22:35   #203
Don K Hotay
Warlord

give a me the patch....give it to me....come on, don't fool around. Why are you messing with me? Come on, give it to me.....give it to me....give it or I'll a tell your mama!
Old December 5, 2001, 22:36   #204
volcanohead
Warlord

Quote:
Yoda says, taking a deep sigh having had to state the obvious to too many these past 600 years:

"Automate sucks, it does. Programmed by swamp rats, it was."

Grrrr... Luke drop-kicks Yoda, Yoda performs a really rather beautiful parabolic curve before -splush- -bubble- bubble-

The automate doesn't do exactly what one would wish, but hell, I'd rather let them automate badly than waste 10 mins every turn and ruin the experience... But that's exactly Yoda's point, he wishes it to be perfect without having to spend that 10 minutes. How annoying.

Tell me Yoda, (good swimmer, he is) have you really stopped playing? Eh? I bet you haven't.... Sneaking a quick turn in every now and again? Fiddling with your 'workers'... Eh?

V
Old December 5, 2001, 22:40   #205
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

The game is deleted and returned to the shop. I could easily have applied the no-cd crack, but it's not even worth playing for free. And if you are happy with automated workers that literally do nothing more than move back and forth, and if you think I'm asking for 'perfection' in seeing that fixed, then Firaxis is your kind of company, friend.

They give you two options: Handle the 100+ workers one by one to actually accomplish something productive in-game but to make you go blind in the process, or automate them and simply see turns consumed with workers going nowhere and doing nothing.

Brilliant. Nice options. You chose the: "I'd like to waste my time automatically." Cool.

As for the preview posted, there is indeed more inflammatory material out there. I look forward to the first people who find it.

Old December 5, 2001, 22:46   #206
volcanohead
Warlord

Two questions:

1. Do you prefer the PW of CTP then?

2. Are you still posting on these boards for purely social gratification, or do you see a time when Civ3 would be worth buying?

V
Old December 5, 2001, 22:50   #207
MarBaS
Chieftain

Yin...Why do you even post here? All you do is whine and complain like a little baby. You might very well be the most annoying person here, does baby need a bottle?
Old December 5, 2001, 22:51   #208
MarBaS
Chieftain

By the way, great additions with the patch fixes, it looks great and the game will be much more enjoyable with them, thank you firaxis
Old December 5, 2001, 22:51   #209
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

1) Well, an automated function that actually works well would be nice. PW was 'lifeless' but effective and quick. So I'd have to say that until the automated thing actually works or until somebody comes up with an entirely new and better system, yes, PW was much better (one of the few things I liked about CtP).

2) As I understand it, the x-pack won't be a standalone product. Thus, those of us unwilling to pay for the game two or three times (first in an unfinished state), are essentially forced until the Gold Edition comes, perhaps in early 2003?

By then, I have every faith that the community here (if they have been given the proper tools), will have made the game worth playing. The question is whether or not they will be given those tools ... thus, I am watching and waiting.

Old December 5, 2001, 22:52   #210
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
Yin...Why do you even post here? All you do is whine and complain like a little baby. You might very well be the most annoying person here, does baby need a bottle?
C'mon. At least try!