Old December 5, 2001, 18:55   #1
black98z
Settler

Local Time: 18:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Patch looks good but what about borders?
I didn't see anything in the fix list that would have anything to do with the AI ignoring borders. Am I wrong? That is the one thing that really annoys me. I love the game other than that.
Old December 5, 2001, 19:12   #2
barefootbadass
Prince

Well, it said some stuff about units moving around over and over again in some kind of loop, and also about how, you couldn't 'infinitely delay war' anymore with troop movements and such. So maybe now it will just be agressive when it wants to march through your territory.
Old December 5, 2001, 19:25   #3
Karhgath
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:03
Well, if I was able to bring units and pass thru your country, and the only treat you would pose would be saying "Please, move your troops out or I'll kick you in the ass", I would gladly bring all my troops and just pass thru to annoy you =)

I rarely have that problem, because other civs are usually respecting me, either military, culture, but often both. They might want to pass thru with a settler and spearman from time to time, but I usually bring a good amount of my units in its territory and ask him to leave... he usually does =)
Old December 5, 2001, 22:56   #4
MarBaS
Chieftain

Now i probably havent played as many games of civ3 as some of you but in all of my games that i have played, i have not once had an ai civ come into my border without me saying its okay. I think its just beccause they are at war with a civ on the other side of you. Not sure, hasnt happend to me though.
Old December 5, 2001, 23:09   #5
Sevorak
Warlord

The "infinitely delay invasion" was in reference to the trick where, in the face of a large approaching AI fleet, you take two large coastal cities far apart, heavily defend one and uncover the other. The AI, since it knows the entire map and is pre programmed to go for the least-defended city, will sail for the uncovered city. Just before the fleet gets there, you yank all the defenders out of the defended city and rail them to the uncovered city. Since that city is no longer the least defended, and the AI sees that another city is now uncovered, the fleet turns around and sails for the new empty city. Repeat ad infinitum and the AI will never land, sailing back and forth trying to hit the empty city. The patch fix probably means the AI won't be taken in by such silly tricks again.

-Sev
Old December 5, 2001, 23:11   #6
dannyevilcat
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:03
What bothers me the most is when the AI builds cities on the other side of you. I don't know if it's to surround you or what, but they constantly move units between their territory and don't take kindly to being told to sod off and die.

them (YOU) them= **** off, already!!!!
Old December 5, 2001, 23:18   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:03
that's a feature not a bug

they had to make the ai more aggressive or they would lose everytime to the human player (well they do anyways,but not as badly)
Old December 6, 2001, 01:45   #8
Ludwig
Chieftain

Actually, although it's a feature and not a bug, they decided to get rid of it. Or at least to tone it down.

According to Firaxis the patch decreases the desire of the AI to build on that last scrap of desert in the middle of your territory.

Since they don't want to get to that desert tile, they won't need to cross your territory to get it.
Old December 6, 2001, 07:16   #9
black98z
Settler

But what about foriegn wars? They tend to send 10's of units across your land to attack another AI rather than cart them with ships.
Old December 6, 2001, 11:43   #10
dweez
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:03
Quote:
Originally posted by black98z
But what about foriegn wars? They tend to send 10's of units across your land to attack another AI rather than cart them with ships.
Of course they do, I would do as well. Do you mind? Of course you do, but are you going to say something while I have 10's of units next to your cities?
Old December 6, 2001, 12:54   #11
xane
Chieftain

On one of my first games I had two other civilizations at war with a third, with me in the middle, they were moving hundreds of units through a narrow land bridge I controlled and across my territory to get there. After they captured a few cities I shut off the land bridge with units and trapped half their armies in small cities on the other side of my empire, then waited until culture caught them up

The AI never thought about shipping them out or even disbanding them.
Old December 6, 2001, 18:21   #12
black98z
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by dweez

Of course they do, I would do as well. Do you mind? Of course you do, but are you going to say something while I have 10's of units next to your cities?

Oh, I agree, they should do it sometimes, but only under certain conditions, like when they are a big baddie. But the little AI civs shouldn't. They should be afraid to.

In any case, they should at least ASK. And if they are big and bad, then if I say no, they do it anyways.