Old May 21, 2000, 06:41   #1
Biddles
Prince

Local Time: 00:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Generals
I don't think that I have seen anything about Generals before. 'Heroes' have come up but what I mean by Generals is different than that.

A General would be an actual unit, the same as phalanx, armour, etc. This unit would only be useful when used in stacks with other units. When a General is in a stack, all units get an attacking and defending bonus. Make General units really expensive so that they are really valuable (and so that they are not mass produced, maybe even limit the number you can make, or make them proportional to the number of units) and make it so that only one is useful in a stack and then I think that these would be a good unit to add to civ3.

The bonus that the units recieved would depend on what star General it was (this is just skill level or experience).

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission
Old May 21, 2000, 13:21   #2
Par4
King

Local Time: 16:20
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Look at this EC3 idea http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum28/HTML/000343.html#7

------------------
I use this email
(stupid cant use hotmail)
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse
[This message has been edited by Par4 (edited May 21, 2000).]
Old May 22, 2000, 01:30   #3
Napoleon I
Chieftain

The generals idea sounds nice but I fear that it will be unreasonable to build them in the game. If the general is a very expensive unit than the bonuses that it confers would have to be tremendous to equal the resources that go into their production. Furthermore, since the general can only be at one place at any given time the enemy can just destroy units around that stack and bypass the penalties.

------------------
Napoleon I
Old May 22, 2000, 20:49   #4
Par4
King

I see generals permenately stuck to an army and you seperate units from that army or not. Generals make armies which are stacks and give bonuses, they cannot be built but come every once in a while or from veteran armies. Academies and stuff could raise the chance of a general coming from a veteran unit. Other than this the EC3 post is pretty much everything else I see in a general. Generals can have famous names too just to add to the atmosphere I mean if I get a patton general for land I want him to have tanks just for the namesake I mean I don't want my patton general in control of infantry, he gets tanks.

------------------
I use this email
(stupid cant use hotmail)
gamma_par4@hotmail.com
Don't ask for golf tips
Your game will get worse