Old December 6, 2001, 03:05   #1
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 04:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Riders of the Storm
The Civilisation storm has come and gone [more like a mild breeze than a storm actually].

This is not a thread to whine or moan, merely the celebration of one man who found strength within to resist the hype.

I must confess that the month prior to the release of Civ III, I was interested. But after seeing the reaction of this game [thanks Apolyton], and playing a demo of it in a computer software store, my interest declined like a stiff member might shrink after seeing a puss filled orifice.

If Civ III has not tempted me, then I am afraid I have finally grown up. There is always MoOIII, but I don't believe the hype anymore.

Nevertheless, I have utterly enjoyed the activity of this forum - it has been highly amusing.

I guess Civ is dead. Good. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Bkeela.
Old December 6, 2001, 03:18   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
you must not have played very much.

I think in your case civ is not dead. But TBS games are. I'm getting close to that point. I still like civ3. But I think this will be the last TBS game I ever like. Basically civ3 to me is what civ2 should have been. Nothing really new here. Just an improved civ2. I expect to play it about 6 months, maybe more. and unless some huge advance comes in TBS game making (that is good), I'll be playing RPG games.
Old December 6, 2001, 03:30   #3
Bkeela
King

Yes Dissident. I personally have no problem with Civ 3. It is just through playing Colonization, Civ 1, and Civ 2, and Alpha Centauri, I have utterly exausted the entire genre of TBS. [A few extra bells and whistles, which by all account decrease the enjoyment of play, are no incentive].

I need something new, something that transcends all known gaming genres. [There is only so many times you can re-heat hash before it makes you gag]. I thought for awhile that Black & White was the answer, but I merely believed the hype. I am not holding my breath though, for the outlook is extremely bleak. The only solution is to find new interests. Maybe even get married or something!

Bkeela.

Last edited by Bkeela; December 6, 2001 at 03:57.
Old December 6, 2001, 03:59   #4
Ragnarok
Settler

Hell yeah!
Get married, have kids and start your own civilization!
The real Civ3!
Old December 6, 2001, 04:22   #5
Alex 14
Prince

Sure a TBG like Civ get boring, thats why I play other games as well that arn't turn based for variety, obviously playing a real time game will get boring eventually too.
Old December 6, 2001, 04:45   #6
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 13:04
Quote:
I guess Civ is dead.
What hysterical solipsism! Because you don't like it (not even having played it, no less!), it's dead.

Let me guess. You believe the age of the universe is — how old are you?
Old December 6, 2001, 04:46   #7
Libertarian
King

And by the way, the song was "Riders on the Storm".
Old December 6, 2001, 04:48   #8
Alex 14
Prince

Old December 6, 2001, 05:54   #9
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 19:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian

What hysterical solipsism! Because you don't like it (not even having played it, no less!), it's dead.

Let me guess. You believe the age of the universe is — how old are you?
Wow. I guess people can be a jackass wihtout actually trying. By the way, solipsism is a scientific theory, not a mental condition. The next time you dust off your dictionary looking for big words, I suggest getting a 2nd opinion to stop you making yourself looking like a jerk.
Old December 6, 2001, 12:33   #10
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

i only played about four hours of the game, then gave up. starting from the begining of time just doesn't appeal to me anymore, i've done it too many times in civ2. and 3 isn't that much different really
Old December 6, 2001, 12:47   #11
Disk Killer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by N. Machiavelli

Wow. I guess people can be a jackass wihtout actually trying. By the way, solipsism is a scientific theory, not a mental condition. The next time you dust off your dictionary looking for big words, I suggest getting a 2nd opinion to stop you making yourself looking like a jerk.
Actually....he used it correctly. I will withhold opinion on who looks like the jerk.

(From Merriam-Webster online - www.m-w.com)
Main Entry: so·lip·sism
Pronunciation: 'sO-l&p-"si-z&m, 'sä-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin solus alone + ipse self
Date: 1874
: a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing
Old December 6, 2001, 13:18   #12
xane
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:04
I've certainly replaced Civ2 completely with Civ3, admittedly it _is_ a "new and improved" Civ2, but then thats exactly what new version numbers mean ?

Just as I did with Civ2, I can happily see myself picking up this game every few months long after the enthusiasm for it has died, the very nature of the game has a long lasting quality that has existed back with Civ1 (or even "Empire" !)

As fas as I'm concerned, I'll get more than my moneys worth of playtime out of this game. Unlike Black and White, which despite all its innovative ideas, completely failed to recapture me once I'd got bored with it.

Now if only I could get Harpoon II working on Windows ...
Old December 6, 2001, 13:20   #13
LordLynch64
Settler

Local Time: 18:04
Yea
May I say by judging from the original post that you are absolutly disgusting. I was hopeing for an intelligent thred discussing the game but that was just juvenile.
Old December 6, 2001, 13:57   #14
wotan321
Warlord

Bkeela, hold on here just a minute.

Now I don't know whether you are a "jerk" or just bored or what, but I must respond to your post when you said:

Quote:
The only solution is to find new interests. Maybe even get married or something!
Come ON!!! Its just a game!!! Dear Lord in Heaven!!! Don't you know that with Civ3, when you get tired of it, or things aren't going well, or you want to go out and watch a movie.... you just close down the game or pause..... but when you are married...... the GAME NEVER SHUTS OFF!!!!! Its always there....day and night, night and day.... talking to you... wanting you to take out the garbage.... asking you "did you leave your socks here...is this where the socks go?....."

to which you can only reply :
"NO you solipsist toad, that is not where the socks go.... they go in your pus filled orifice!!!! AAAAaaargh! "

Okay, maybe that's not exactly what you would say.... but don't get so bummed out by Civ3, or any game, or anything in life for that matter.... that it causes you to go out and get married.

...cuz that's no game......
Old December 6, 2001, 20:37   #15
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 19:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Disk Killer

Actually....he used it correctly. I will withhold opinion on who looks like the jerk.

(From Merriam-Webster online - www.m-w.com)
Main Entry: so·lip·sism
Pronunciation: 'sO-l&p-"si-z&m, 'sä-
Etymology: Latin solus alone + ipse self
Date: 1874
: a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing
Main Entry: Dar·win·ism
Pronunciation: 'där-w&-"ni-z&m
Date: 1864
: a theory of the origin and perpetuation of new species of animals and plants that offspring of a given organism vary, that natural selection favors the survival of some of these variations over others, that new species have arisen and may continue to arise by these processes, and that widely divergent groups of plants and animals have arisen from the same ancestors; broadly : biological evolutionism

So does this mean that if a butterfly evolved, that butterfly has a mental condition called darwinism? Bot hare scientific theories, not diseases.