Old December 6, 2001, 11:21   #1
Mkinser
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"Random" civs not so random
I remember this problem from CTP and CTP2 as well. I start a new game and select to have 4 random computer opponents. I ALWAYS get the ENGLISH, FRENCH, RUSSIA, GERMANY (or AMERICA if I am playing as one of the others). This isn't too random.

It would be nice to have no idea whom I playing against. Knowing these civs are my opponents, I don't have to worry about what path I decide to take. I know the English aren't going to leave their own continent to settle (at least not very quickly)...I know the French and Germans aren't going to expand very quickly either. It just takes a whole aspect of the game right out of it....
Old December 6, 2001, 11:31   #2
dweez
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:05
Re: "Random" civs not so random
Quote:
Originally posted by Mkinser
I remember this problem from CTP and CTP2 as well. I start a new game and select to have 4 random computer opponents. I ALWAYS get the ENGLISH, FRENCH, RUSSIA, GERMANY (or AMERICA if I am playing as one of the others). This isn't too random.
From the patch readme:
* Added "Culturally Linked Starting Locations" (civs are placed on maps in close proximity to other civs of the same culture; please note that not using this pref can lead to sub-optimal arrangements of civ colors)

It's not really clear if the fix is only about where the civs start or if it will also affect which civs are playing. I hope it's the second.
Old December 6, 2001, 11:33   #3
kptb
Apolyton University
Settler

Local Time: 18:05
The same happens with the random tech you get as a scietific civ. I always got monotheism with the Germans upon entering the second age.
(J. W. von Goethe)