Old December 7, 2001, 05:17   #1
Rushton
Settler

Local Time: 19:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A few little culture problems!
In my latest game I am going for a culture victory and just passed 80,000 points. I have a FAQ that states that 80,000 is the winning mark but have also read 100,000. Which is true and is it also true that you have to be DOUBLE the nearest other civ?

Strangely, on the same turn I LOST a city to culture. This was an enormous suprise as I have been getting cities myself this way and had just got one from the Russians. The city, St Petersberg, (size 17) reverting back to the Russians one and a half millenia after they joined me because of my culture. I had all the culture improvements in it but it only had a culture score of just over 1,000 and was next to their capital. As I am still on the learning curve and wasn´´t expecting this I went back a couple of turns and bought a research lab and put loads of tanks in there. It seems to have worked for the first 2 turns. So a couple of questions:

1) Will stationing lots of troops there stop it from reverting?

2) If I make a couple of entertainers and put it in "we love the Emperor" mode will that help too?

Thanks

Paul
Old December 7, 2001, 05:58   #2
Peets
Warlord

Re: A few little culture problems!
Quote:
Originally posted by Rushton
1) Will stationing lots of troops there stop it from reverting?

2) If I make a couple of entertainers and put it in "we love the Emperor" mode will that help too?

Thanks

Paul
1) Yes, it will work until you have 5 units in it.

2) Yes, it will help too + you get less corruption.

The Russian reverted back because you didn't had enough units in it. They are at size 17 so you need to do more to keep them with you. The culture in the city of other civs are important too. I noticed that a city of the Azetcs were conquered by the Greeks. It stayed that way for a long time until I went in war with the Greeks. I captured the city and putted 3 units in it to keep the city from revolting back. But it still went back to the Greeks when we were back at peace. The culture that the Greeks had in the city was to high for me to keep the city.
I hope you get the point
Old December 7, 2001, 06:04   #3
Rushton
Settler

Thanks Peets!

Does that mean that you need AT LEAST 5 units in it or that each units helps up to 5 units?

Paul
Old December 7, 2001, 06:11   #4
Peets
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Rushton
Thanks Peets!

Does that mean that you need AT LEAST 5 units in it or that each units helps up to 5 units?

Paul
It depends from city to city.
If you capture a city were there was a low culture and far away from their capitol or Forbidden Palace then you can do it easily with 1 unit. It just depends with many factors.
The important ones:
- Culture
- Distance from Capitol
I may have forgotten an important factor
Old December 7, 2001, 08:37   #5
sophist
Prince

Local Time: 12:07
Sometimes it doesn't matter how many units you have; they just don't like you . All you can do is reduce the odds.
Old December 7, 2001, 09:21   #6
Quint
Settler

Local Time: 13:07
The other thing you can do is crank out workers from the city to reduce its native russian population and let it fill back up with your own loyal citizens. This seems to help me out with cities defecting.
Old December 8, 2001, 19:17   #7
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 14:07
If you are a despot or communist, it's good to pop. rush with foreign nationals. Dont wan't 'em around trying to sway your shiny new city.