Old December 9, 2001, 17:04   #31
gfrazieror
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ah, but I have reinstalled it, and made the mistake of using my box for something other than Civ3, and when I attempt to relaunch the game, I get the "can't find CD" message again. By the way, it doesn't even attempt to "retry" when you click on the retry button.

This seriously blows. One should not have to reinstall the entire game every time one wants to play it. I'm going to stop buying games if this nonsense does not cease. When being honest is made much more difficult than being dishonest in an attempt to foil the dishonest, something is certainly wrong.
Old December 9, 2001, 18:47   #32
jadlakha
Warlord

Local Time: 18:09
Re: It works fine
Quote:
Originally posted by Jodo Kast
Read the posts and you'll see: If you bought the game the patch works, just uninstall and reinstall.

Most system configs are different, so this fixes it. If you have an illegal NOCD copy, then tough luck.

But you knew that.
Like Ive said for the millionth time Ive uninstalled and reinstalled several times allready. And Ive already stated this many times that I do have the real version of the game. Read the posts before you reply.

But on a much better note I did solve the problem somewhat. I changed something in my registry so now the game works in my cd burner drive, but it still doesnt get read in my DVD rom drive. But at least now I can play. However I still believe that the game companies should not make me go through the trouble of editing my registry, nor should they force me to have to use the no-cd patches. This is the first time Ive encountered any problems with any game.
Old December 9, 2001, 19:24   #33
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 14:09
Why don't you try uninstalling and reinstalling again?
Old December 9, 2001, 20:22   #34
AustralianJeremy
King

Local Time: 03:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Exactly - Civ2 didn't require the CD in the drive, and it's not like they didn't make any money off Civ2...

I ended up using my DVD drive for Civ3, because in the 48x normal CD drive it made the most horrendously loud spinning noises. Weird.
Old December 17, 2001, 15:57   #35
buster
ACDG3 CMNsACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 20:09
For an explanation of problems re recognizing the CD after the patch and a solution check here: http://www.civgaming.net/forums/show...t=704#post7047
Old December 17, 2001, 17:31   #36
felder
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemming
u do have a legal copy, do u?
I really hate this assumption people make whenever someone complains that the game won't run due to a CD issue. While this may be a seperate point from the issue with the patch, I still think it's worth a mention. Safe Disc breaks a lot of games when used on certain cd-rom/dvd rom drives. That's right kiddies...even on new drives. This happened when I put Civ3 on my fairly new (6 months old) sony vaio laptop. The game simply wouldn't recognize the CD in the drive. I ended up having to download the patch from Game Copy World to play it on my laptop.

It's infuriating to me that game companies continue to use these lousy copy protection schemes that do nothing but keep legitamate users from running their games. Don't think for a second that Safe Disc does anything to keep the pirates out. A web browser pointed at Game Copy World and/or a copy of clone CD ensures that. Furthermore when legitamate users complain about the issue of safe disc they are almost always accused of illegally obtaining the game.