Old December 8, 2001, 06:49   #1
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 19:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Super Horseman
My air force and naval fleet were wiped out by a single horseman [frown] So one unit on entering a city kills all naval and air units, they must have snook in under cover of dark, then managed to set up bombs. Man my air force and Navy deserved to die after letting enemy perpetrate such a heinous act.
Old December 8, 2001, 07:29   #2
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:10
Well, since the ships are docked in the port and the airplanes are on the ground they cannot fight and are easy to destroy.
Old December 8, 2001, 08:14   #3
sophist
Prince

Local Time: 12:10
Well, how ridiculous was the civ2 method of a Cavalry and Transport duking it out?
Old December 8, 2001, 09:10   #4
Boney
Warlord

But hey, what a waste. Shame they couldn't have captured some of the units intact.

Ships docked in port still have armed sailors, especially if you have a fleet of them. Maybe they should be given more of a chance against weaker units, I mean how can a single warrior scuttle 4 battleships without a shot being fired, or should I say without an axe being flung.

As to cavalry and and transport, ala civ2, maybe some of those sailors did not want to go down without a fight. Anyway the transport invariably lost.
Old December 8, 2001, 11:11   #5
sophist
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Boney

Ships docked in port still have armed sailors, especially if you have a fleet of them. Maybe they should be given more of a chance against weaker units, I mean how can a single warrior scuttle 4 battleships without a shot being fired, or should I say without an axe being flung.
Maybe they sink their own ships to prevent the enemy from getting them
Old December 8, 2001, 11:25   #6
Expatriate
Chieftain

I think the question here is how a civilization that is obviously so far ahead in tech can be stupid enough to let a bunch of primitive horsemen get an oportunity like this?

Maybe you should fire the person responsible for the cities defense. Because by leaving it undefended he is the guilty party here. Im pretty sure this wouldnt have happened if 2-3 units of Mech Infantry were guarding the city.
Old December 8, 2001, 14:43   #7
Boney
Warlord

Quote:
Maybe they sink their own ships to prevent the enemy from getting them
You should relay this idea to the artillery corps too.

Quote:
I think the question here is how a civilization that is obviously so far ahead in tech can be stupid enough to let a bunch of primitive horsemen get an oportunity like this?
Well Expat, you are quite right, but this actually happened in my first game when I was still in a bit of civ2 mode. The first game I played was without bothering to read anything first, a case of download and here we go. Never let it happen since though.
Old December 8, 2001, 14:49   #8
Trifna
King

Local Time: 02:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by sophist
Well, how ridiculous was the civ2 method of a Cavalry and Transport duking it out?
As weird as this case and this is why we blame it.
Old December 8, 2001, 19:10   #9
madmario
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:10
Quote:
I mean how can a single warrior scuttle 4 battleships without a shot being fired, or should I say without an axe being flung.

They do have at least a year to do it in...

-mario
- Prince Hal
Old December 9, 2001, 00:22   #10
Bandit65
Settler

Local Time: 10:10
[Truly Tasteless Mode]

Yeah, I mean primitive warriars taking out ships?

I mean, it's not like a few guys in a Zodiac could take out an Aegis Cruiser, or anything?

Or a couple of guys with Box Knives take out a skyscraper?

[/truly tasteless mode]

I have come to rationalize the spearman/tank issue this way. A civ may be totally backward compared to my modern armor, but the facts are that in real life some of these very backward third world 'armies' tend to do some serious damage to Us Americans world wide through 'terrorist' methods.

I don't know if the game designers meant this, but it is the only way I can justify the dreaded Anti-Tank Spearman...

I guess I have to think that although the 'Unit' in the game is called Spearman, and is represented by a 'Spearman' icon, he is really just a very untrained, third world fighter, with little or no modern training, little supplies, and poor equipment.

The Vietcong were shooting our Hueys with Wooden Arrows, you know.

I guess I just don't look at it so literally.

Not to say that the unit in the game is okay, I don't agree with it at all.

A modern tank unit in the game should only be taken out by a spearman under some very extreme situations. There should be some kind of randomness in the equation.

Or if he is the last defender in a size 12 city, he should get some resistance benifit or something.

But in an open field battle?

I don't think so. Maybe on occasion. But not as consistanly as I have seen.

You know, though, I was in the Armored Cavalry for 8 years, and a few well placed Malatov Cocktails can 'take out' an M-1 Abrahms tank. Not exactly destroy it, but render it pretty useless as an offensice weapon. And if the game units represent more than one actualy unit, then maybe a 'Company' of 'spearmen' could render a Troop of Modern Armored Cavalry useless by whatever means available.

Yeah it's possible, but is it as likely as we have all seen it? I don't think so.
Old December 9, 2001, 01:23   #11
Terser
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Expatriate

Maybe you should fire the person responsible for the cities defense. Because by leaving it undefended he is the guilty party here. Im pretty sure this wouldnt have happened if 2-3 units of Mech Infantry were guarding the city.
Get real. You know you can't be assured of holding a city against horsemen with anything less than five elite mechanized infantry.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old December 9, 2001, 01:27   #12
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 13:10
And some artillery for assitance.
Old December 9, 2001, 01:59   #13
barefootbadass
Prince

Quote:

You should relay this idea to the artillery corps too.

If my defenders are likely to be taken out(like almost certain) I disband my artillery first. Although this has only happened to me once.
Old December 9, 2001, 02:03   #14
barefootbadass
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Terser

Get real. You know you can't be assured of holding a city against horsemen with anything less than five elite mechanized infantry.
lol, I'm usually comfortable with two regular spearmen.
Old December 9, 2001, 08:35   #15
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 20:10
And the Sailors...

Maybe they all adhere to the Priciples of Bushido and commit Seppuku, cos they canīt stand the shame that the defendig Elite Rifleman was overhelmed by a single Regular Horseman-Unit (with the last sailor still alive igniting the bomb which sends the Ship to the bottom of the harbor)
Old December 9, 2001, 12:12   #16
napalm010
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:10
Well a single horseman taking out a entire docked naval fleet would be no problem.

1. Keep ships docked with no external food supply.

2. Feed sailors trapped on ships nothing but beans.

3. Sit back and wait for niccotine craving sailor to light up cigarette.

4. Laugh from pier as ship explodes in glorious fiery explosion from noxious sailor gas emissions.
Old December 9, 2001, 20:21   #17
FALVES
Chieftain

Haven't you ever heard of the LONE RANGER and his faithfull native american companion TONTO?!

Be afraid, be VERY afraid...
Old December 9, 2001, 23:11   #18
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 14:40
As weird as it is, it's better than in Civ 2 (at least I think so) where you had to make repeated assaults to root out those last few hard-core cruise missles that were stubornly defending the city to the death.
Having those kinds of units just die is good because most of your units only get one attack per turn (except modern armour), and a bunch can't even kill anymore, just rough up the unit (planes, ships, artillery).