Old December 12, 2001, 15:03   #61
Expatriate
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sniffer, have you considered selling your guides from a website thats not based in the US?

To be honest I would like to see Prima just trying to sue someone selling a guide like that from where I live (Denmark). Personally I wouldnt be afraid of any of their threats because our courts are in general a lot more sensible in their rulings (no offense to any US citizens, but you DO have cases that judges over here would laugh at).

Im sure it would be possible to use a foreign website and make sure that Prima can never trace who the person behind the website is.
Old December 12, 2001, 15:11   #62
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 18:11
Michael....DAMN! I can't believe that! I mean, I can....I do, but....SHEESH!

I'd LOVE to see the contract that gives Prima an "exclusive" on the game. Based on what we've been seeing here (from Lawyers), is that if such a contract even exists, then it's not worth the paper it's written on, becuase there's no way they could defend those rights.....no court in the country would allow that....essentially, they could keep two guys at a freakin diner from talking about Civ3 too deeply....heh...yeah....the plot just keeps getting thicker and sicker....

Keep the faith man. I know it's no real consolation since I'm a smallish potato myself, but I'm behind you 100% (and yep, in case you're curious, I'm one of the little blips on the sales report of folks who bought the guide! Great job!).

::sharpens his war axes::

Now, I don't like it, and I won't pretend that it doesn't worry me some, but the fact is, once I verify that I'm in no way infringing on any rights they can realistically enforce, and once the ship is ready to sail, she's going to go head to head with Prima's. Probably, they'll just laugh it off if they realize they can't threaten me into submission. After all, I'm just one guy. But if it causes even ONE person to lose even a moment's sleep, or wonder at what "that crazy hippie over there" might be doing, then I'll feel like I've done something worthwhile to turn the tide.

Way to go Prima....way to wreck the goodwill of the gaming community....don't let anybody talk about it....heaven forbid! Gotta make that buck. Milk it for all it's worth!!! Yeah...well, don't count on putting any of MY money in your bank account.

The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old December 12, 2001, 16:30   #63
Sniffer
Settler

Thanks for the cool words, Velociryx! It feels really good to know that we won't go down without at least a few people taking notice. I was just as upset when I saw what Infogrames did to Kai. What a bunch of crap. It really makes to realize how little these companies care about the gamers who built the industry (in every real way). I'm glad that you liked my guide. If I had more than a week to write it, I would have included a lot of good ideas that I have since discovered. If you want, write to my hurricanegaming account and I will tell you my normal mail--we can trade some ideas. If I get around to it, I'll just create a strat. forum post here when I have the time (of course, maybe they'll sue us for that too)!

Any by the way, anyone who has a copy of my guide already should realize that no ones controls the IP for that guide anymore. HG had to remove it, and Infogrames did not buy us out, so the IP for my work is up in the air. That means that I will not go after anyone who distributes or uses any of my ideas. Don't sell anything (obviously), but let everyone enjoy the work. The only reason I was selling the guide in the first place was for the purpose of doing guides full-time. The Prima people get games early, are paid VERY WELL, and still don't do what the strategy buffs here in the forum are able to put together within a couple weeks of release. There has to be a way to make things work.

I should start a threat for, "What the world would be like if Prima/Infogrames' assertions were true." Everyone would talked about American politics could be sued by infringing on American IP. We would own 4/5 of the world within a few days.

One of the official Randomhouse complaints was that my strategy guide was too long. I thought that it was too short, and I wanted to do a free expansion for the guide later on! I wonder what isn't too long.

Civ 3 Strategies:

Play to Win

Fin, a guide for the community
Old December 12, 2001, 16:35   #64
Sniffer
Settler

Oh, and about the idea of writing and posting on a Denmark website, that is a good idea, but I think I'll just move to Europe entirely. I might as well enjoy the scenery! In truth, I have considered moving to England at some point, because I've heard that publishing in general is a bit more reasonable there. I've been trying to publish two fantasy novels here in the States for a couple of years, and it is pretty brutal to sell anything that isn't cookie cutter material (unless you get lucky and meet a good contact).

Still love the US, but the legal system could use a bit of tinkering. I'll bet the lawyers here on the forum agree more than anyone else.
Old December 12, 2001, 16:55   #65
sophist
Prince

Local Time: 12:11
Re: Interesting Thread
Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron07
As a result, Prima can ask/force infogames to bring a copyright infringement case against any other guide publisher if those guides utilize screenshots, quotes or other images from within the game in their guide. Infogames does have the right to prevent reproduction of their original works for profit but it is generally not in their best interest to do so(i.e. magazine reviews=free PR so why stop them), but if Prima is paying them they may be doing this on Prima's behalf.
Wouldn't use of the screenshots and such fall under fair use, and as such, be usable? Based on my (again, layman's) knowledge of IP law, for these purposes Hurricane (or Vel, or whoever) could use the screenshots. I mean, it's not like every website that writes a review of Civ3 gets explicit permission, but 1) they all talk about what's new with the game and what it takes to win (i.e., strategy) and 2) post screenshots. Ditto for magazines.
Old December 12, 2001, 16:58   #66
Expatriate
Chieftain

Btw, I am also one of the people that bought your guide. I found it very reasonable to support the work you did, and the price was more than fair. We dont want Prima to ruin the work you and others might do in the future

One thing is certain: I will never buy a Prima guide for any game in the future and I hope others will consider taking the same attitude. Theyre not very good anyway, judging from the opinions posted about them here.
Old December 12, 2001, 17:00   #67
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Heh....modders....any way we can tweak the US legal system in the editor? D'oh....sorry, mixing my realities again....::

Again Michael....my condolences on the sorry outcome of the whole affair, and if there's anything at all I can do, just PM me!

Hurricane, Kai....they're off to a good start, aren't they? I mean, the game's been out for...what? A month now? That's one every two weeks! Wow! I don't know 'bout the rest of you, but I'm impressed.....such staunch vigilance.....have they even MADE any sort of announcement (about anything!?) to the gaming community? Or, do they feel they don't need to? After all, we're just the mindless cattle they sell to. No biggie.

Yeah.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old December 12, 2001, 19:08   #68
Sauron07
Chieftain

Screenshots and Fair Use
I will admit I am not an IP law expert and from my discussions with Doug at HG as well as Sniffers posts, screenshots appear to be public domain and ok to use(I will be verifying this in the near future). Other uses of game artwork, box art, ect. however would constitute a copyright violation if you used and charged for your product. Technically I believe that Infogames could give reviewers a hard time if they used box art ect, but as a practical matter the game gets free press from reviews so its not something they are too concerned about.

Overall, I am doubtful that Prima could actually enforce a contract between themselves and Infogames for exclusive rights to publish the "official" Civ 3 strat guide against any third party which was not party to the contract. Infogames may have claims of interference with contract against someone selling a strat guide which cuts into the royalties they receive from Prima for selling the "official" guide but again this is speculation without seeing the actual contract.

Basicly, I think this is an example of Prima/Infogames attorneys using the most basic tool in the attorneys arsenal, the scary cease and desist letter which costs almost nothing to draft and send out and is surprisingly effective(especially if you dont have a leg to stand on, how can it hurt?).

Once I do some more research, I may contact Prima/Infogames and request a copy of their "exclusive publishing rights" agreement, because this is ultimately all speculation until we know what deal they have and what the basis of their claim of exclusivity is.

Keep your head up sniffer, I am in contact with Doug and am willing to donate my time to your cause as well. We may keep you here in the states yet
Old December 12, 2001, 19:43   #69
Expatriate
Chieftain

Re: Screenshots and Fair Use
Quote:
Once I do some more research, I may contact Prima/Infogames and request a copy of their "exclusive publishing rights" agreement, because this is ultimately all speculation until we know what deal they have and what the basis of their claim of exclusivity is.
Excellent idea! They cant expect us to live up to a private agreement between 2 other parties when we dont even know what their contract says.
Old December 12, 2001, 19:52   #70
Zorkk
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
Speaking of board games, I always wondered how Microprose got away with using the name "Civilization" since it was an Avalon Hill board game at the time. And it worked very much the same way: global expansion, tech advances, etc.
I was gonna bring this up too. Since i'm sure that Sid got his original idea for a computer civilization games from this phenomenal board game!!

Z
Old December 12, 2001, 20:08   #71
Sniffer
Settler

It would be great to score a point for the good guys this time. We would really be doing a great thing if we found a way to undermine the power of the companies to shut people down instantly. If there is a way to fight back, it will make things a lot harder for the publishers. In a sense, they would only be able to attack people who were actually hurting them. What a novel concept.

If we do find a way to get these unofficial guides back on track, I think that I'll have to dedicate the next one to all the nifty people here on the forums. Maybe I'll title it, "When Fans Attack!"

Old December 12, 2001, 20:27   #72
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 02:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Screenshots and Fair Use
Quote:
I was curious about this aspect too. Question though - Would they actually have to provide a copy of this contract/agreement without your officially filing a writ/court order/whatever its called.

Someone also posted about Prima not having to declare its right to an exclusive contract which to me seems like absolute lunacy (whats the point of an exclusive deal if others don't know about it? Duh ... (to use an Americanism )) or a carelessly contrived deception.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sniffer
P.S. I have received very unofficial support from Firaxis, saying that at least one person there was against this action. It would be very nice if Firaxis as a company was willing to say that I didn't deserve this.
Unfortunately I wouldn't think this very likely as it might place just too much of a strain on developer/publisher relations ... Condolences.

Vel - I was wondering about the viability of a community (or somesuch) letter sent to IG regarding some of their recent decisions - Translation/LE/Guides etc. - Something like the one the scenario community sent to Firaxis - Didn't do much good in that case - but seeing several hundred sigs on a "carefully phrased" e-mail/letter reflecting dissatisfaction with many of their decisions might scare somebody into thinking a bit straighter than they are now ...
Old December 12, 2001, 21:10   #73
sophist
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
Speaking of board games, I always wondered how Microprose got away with using the name "Civilization" since it was an Avalon Hill board game at the time. And it worked very much the same way: global expansion, tech advances, etc.
I don't remember all the details, but a quick search tells me this:

Microprose creates Civilization 1 and 2 computer games based on board game version of Civilization created by Hartland Trefoil, a British company. Microprose has a legitimate license to game concepts, name, etc. from HT directly.

Avalon Hill acquires rights to the board games from HT. Activision then buys rights to Advanced Civilization from AH (it's not clear that they necessarily had this right).

Microprose sues AH for copyright infringement for their use of the Civilization names. They purchase HT to bolster their claim. AH loses the case and rights to the Civilization stuff. Somehow out of this Activision gets the rights to publish CTP and at least one add-on.

Eventually Hasbro purchases Avalon Hill and Microprose both and now completely own the Civilization franchise. As to how Firaxis got it after this, well, I dunno. this brings us up to like 1998 or 1999.

Links:

http://www.strategy-gaming.com/revie...er/index.shtml

http://www.gamespot.com/features/command/sec1-5.html

http://www.mimgames.com/tga/tgg/misc/microprose.shtml

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=av...91%40erols.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=av...1.dejanews.com
Old December 12, 2001, 22:00   #74
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 02:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think this may've come up in the civ2 forum ages ago. I didn't think the civilization board game sold very well (unfortunately - AH made some real gems while they were still in business - and I don't think they sued anybody either ) so Microprose was able to license it fairly cheaply or didn't infringe on it or somesuch.
Old December 13, 2001, 11:30   #75
Sauron07
Chieftain

Check out this site
Hey Guys, while doing a little research on the net last night I came across a very informative website that does a decent job of outlining the basics of copyright law and provides summaries of many of the important cases - with a specific section on software.

Check it out!www.copyrightwebsite.com

ps- Im getting more confident all the time that this is just bullying/scare tactics on the part of Prima/Infogames and that we will not have any problem fighting it if they really wanted to try and stop distribution of an "unofficial Civ III strategy guide".
Old December 13, 2001, 11:45   #76
Velociryx
staff

Now THAT is music to my ears! Hang in there, Sniffer....hang in there!

And on the off-chance that anyone from Prima/Infogrames happens to be lurking....I only have one word for you:

Karma.

Remember it.

-=Vel=-
Old December 13, 2001, 11:47   #77
Yoleus
Warlord

3rd page
3rd page and yet no Dan, no Soren, no Jeff, nobody? Well, they stated their point of view with extreme clarity in the past. Probably they are now busy with the mod/scenario stuff.
Old December 13, 2001, 12:24   #78
Deornwulf
Warlord

Legal Precedence
As a layman, I know that a great deal of law is based on precedence. Having been playing computer games for years, I can remember the days when there were multiple guides out for a single computer game. Many of these guides were labeled as "unofficial" and "unauthorized." I believe that Civilization 1 was one of those games.

Another legal point I am curious about is that by granting Prima the exclusive rights to produce a strategy guide for Civ III has the two companies in essence created a monopoly based on what might be construed as unfair business practices. Did Infrogames put out bids for the guide contract? Were other strategy guide writers contacted? (Name another publisher of strategy guides that is doing the same level of business as Prima.)

I hope this information and musings help the cause.

I will never purchase another Prima Guidebook as a result of this controversy. I read through the Civ III guidebook and found it to be outdated due to the changes just prior to release and also those addressed by the patch. ( IMO strategy guides should come out at least 3 months after the initial release.)

Deornwulf - The English Teacher
Old December 13, 2001, 14:02   #79
Sniffer
Settler

I am really beginning to think that we have a chance to turn this around. The more reading I do, the more it seems like we are in the clear and that this is a case of Prima trying to throw the first punch whether it is fair or not.

Having guides come out three months after the game's release would be great, but it is impossible to make money on guides that way (someone beats you to the sales with a quick, crappy guide and very few people are interested later on). It is a damn shame, because developers/publishers who really work with the strategy writing community can get a lot more out of the final product (it certainly helps the sales of the game if there is a thriving fan base that feels loved instead of battered and abused.

If I do get to bring the guide back to life, there are a few things that I would like to add. If we get to that point, I would really like to work with the people here to make a better final product (and, of course, the profits would be divided appropriately). Ahhhh yes, many dollars for everyone (yes, three or even four dollars).

You guys have made my entire week that much better. Thanks for everything.
Old December 13, 2001, 18:26   #80
HGI_Doug
Settler

Hi, this is Doug Walsh from Hurricane Gaming *finally* catching wind of this lengthy discussion.

Here's just a couple of things that might help add to the ire that has been displayed in the previous 78 posts. BTW, I want to thank Sauron for contacting me the other day, and I can't wait to hear back from you to see what you learned.

When first being contacted by Random House I was told that the guide would be acceptable if we were to remove all screenshots and if we "didn't tell people how to play the game as much". This much Michael aka Sniffer told you. Well, according to the folks at Prima/Random House, it was Infogrames who first contacted them about this issue. Supposedly Infogrames was PO'd about the loss royalties due to the competition our guide was giving them. Prima did not know about the guide until Infogrames had contacted them (If I'm to believe everything I was told).

What they may or may not have realized was that the royalties that they may have missed out on couldn't buy the exec's a round of lattes for their next meeting!

I had an experienced business advisor (with copyright/patent exp) call Random House on the basis that this was nothing more than a strong-arm technique of theirs. We tried to have them buy us out--afterall we aren't mind readers, how were we supposed to know that they had a guide out that was "Exclusive". BTW--we never looked at Prima's guide, didn't even know about it. Anyway, what it came down to was that the fight wasn't worth prize. The way I had created the Hurricane Gaming strategy guide business was that the author would get 75-85% of the profit from each guide. I couldn't very well spend money on legal fees for the prospect of making $50.

Let me add this. I'm currently working on my 10th book for BradyGAMES, Prima's main competitor (coincidence, huh?) and I do know that the strategy guide companies pay exhorbitant fees (and royalties) to be the Official/Exclusive publisher of a title. To those who believe these contracts can't hold up in a court of law, let me point out the following.

If these contracts are invalid, then why hasn't Prima or Versus published a guide for Final Fantasy? Why was BradyGAMES the only publisher on Metal Gear Solid 2, Tony Hawk 3, Diablo? It's because these contracts are valid. Surely someone other than Prima thought Return to Castle Wolfenstein would make for a good strat guide--they won the bid, they got the exclusive rights to the guide.

BradyGAMES just happens to be comfortable with the quality of their product. I talked with their editors about us selling a guide for Max Payne (a Brady exclusive) but they simply shrugged it off, knowing that our 40 page PDF wasn't going to impact their sales. They didn't call their lawyers, they thought it was fine. And it didn't hurt their sales. We don't have the advertising, we don't have the insider info, and frankly, the person thinking about buying our guide for $3.50 or $2.50 is obviously net-savvy and knows they can get their questions answered in forums or at other fan sites.

Vel, I wish you luck. I would advise to not only seek out a lawyer, but to do a cost-benefit analysis to see if the money is worth it. If you want your expert strategies and tips to be heard and don't want the hassle of potential legal trouble, you may want to consider posting a PDF of your work free for the masses.

Happy Gaming,
Doug
Old December 13, 2001, 18:38   #81
sophist
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by HGI_Doug

If these contracts are invalid, then why hasn't Prima or Versus published a guide for Final Fantasy? Why was BradyGAMES the only publisher on Metal Gear Solid 2, Tony Hawk 3, Diablo? It's because these contracts are valid. Surely someone other than Prima thought Return to Castle Wolfenstein would make for a good strat guide--they won the bid, they got the exclusive rights to the guide.
I can't believe that. Well, I can, but I won't. Not without more convincing evidence. Possible reasons nobody competed with BradyGAMES on the above titles:

1) insufficient market for two guides
2) slower time to market because exclusive publisher gets early look at game, inside help, etc.
3) reduced sales because they aren't "official"
4) If Prima treads on BradyGAMES's turf, then they open themselves up for similar tactics later on one of their games. Best for them to keep it friendly, at least until you came along to spoil their party

Notice how none of these reasons really apply to you because profit isn't your primary motivation.

I think it's irresponsible to think that the contracts are valid simply based on the above reasoning.

Last edited by sophist; December 13, 2001 at 22:33.
Old December 13, 2001, 18:48   #82
Velociryx
staff

Doug, I'm glad you came by here, and you're quite right....the information provided added fuel to the fire, as far as I'm concerned!

While I agree 100% with you 'bout the validity of Prima's status as the "official guide" for the game, what bugs me is this:

A friend of mine recently went to Barnes and Noble to scope out training materials for Microsoft Certification.

At the store, he saw the Official (Microsoft-Produced) Training Materials.

Right next to those were nearly identical training materials bearing the title "unofficial."

And next to those was the "MS-Networking for Dummies" series.

That Prima/Infogreed seems to be saying that because of their contract, no other person can publish their views on the game (and do so in a dramatically different way and without using the first screenshot or graphic from the game!) seems....unconstitutional? Certainly it sets up an artificial monopoly where none should exist.

Having never actually read a Prima Guide, I'm not sure what kinds of things they describe, but from comments made by others, here's a small sample of the difference:

"Vel's Guide"
....in the early game, when your biggest worry is about countering the AI's ruthless expansion, the two best, most common methods of doing so are with REX-style expansion, or via a more limited expansion scheme, coupled with the fighting of an "Oscillating War" (see details on both below).

"That other guide"
Umm....in the early game, build lots of settlers dude.

Still....your points are well taken....and though I will continue writing my guide, I will not proceed further than that until I am 100% sure of what legal legs I stand on....

-=Vel=-
Old December 13, 2001, 18:57   #83
HGI_Doug
Settler

Without going into specifics, I was told by employees of said profit-driven companies that unauthorized guides came to a very sudden standstill a few years ago when one of these companies infringed on Brady's FFVII guide.

Also, there were numerous lawsuits concerning illegal use of the artwork. One particular company thought they can get around this by hiring artists to "redraw" the main characters for a game.

I know everyone was talking about the numerous "Unofficial/Unauthorized" guides out there, but it's really not true. At least not in the US, not in the recent past.

As far as there not being enough market for multiple guides, I'd have to humbly disagree. For example, take Luigi's Mansion. Prima, Brady, Versus, and Nintendo Power all have guides for the game. Each of them pay money to Nintendo for the rights to do a book on that title--basically for the chance to profit from their title. The same goes for Conker's Bad Fur Day and Banjo-Tooie (two books I co-authored )

Diablo II, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear 2, etc... these are premiere titles that sell millions of copies. If there is enough room in the marketplace for Prima, Brady, and Nintendo Power to publish guides for Mario Kart Super Circuit (another shameless plug for one of my books), trust me.. the market can support multiple guides for those 5 star titles I just mentioned. The reason there aren't multiple guides is because some game publishers only wish to work with one strat guide company. These companies wine and dine the game company and submit bids and proposals to get the right to publish on a 5-star title. They have to do, their longevity demands it.

An amazing business, strategy guides.
Old December 13, 2001, 19:26   #84
Expatriate
Chieftain

Whether or not those exclusive contracts are enforceable or not, I still say just publish via a non-US website. Sure, they could potentially sue you in most civilized countries but a lot of countries have different rules on how much you can copyright.
Old December 13, 2001, 19:48   #85
Sauron07
Chieftain

WE HAVEN'T EVEN BEGUN TO FIGHT!!!!
Hey Doug, nice to see you made it to this discussion. I was about to email you this afternoon when something came up at work. Anyway, your picture of the strategy guide market has piqued my curiousity even more. Now I just have to get to the bottom of this.

My initial thoughts were bolstered by one comment you made about the inclusion of game art and screenshots in the strat guides. The original game art IS copyrighted material, the question then becomes, does using it in an unauthorized strategy guide sold for profit constitute "fair use". I know that the game title cannot be copyrighted and references to the concepts and ideas within the game is also ok, the question arises as to whether infogames can prevent guides which do not utilize game art or screen captures from being published and I still am at a loss for any legal theory other than possibly interference with contract(unlikely) which would override the rights of individuals like yourselves to publish your original material regarding the game. Im tempted to create a website offering a civIII strat guide and send the link to infogames just so I can find out what their rationale is.

Keep your hopes up everone, this story hasn't even begun to get interesting yet. By the way THANK YOU, you guys have renewed my interest in the law more from this thread than anything in the last two years. Im a government attorney not currently doing any private practice but with definate leanings toward public interest law and helping out the little guy so this is right up my alley.

Hey Doug, if you're interested Id love to read the correspondence you received from Prima, and maybe even to get put in touch with some of your friends within the industry. PM me or drop me an email when you get the chance.
Old December 13, 2001, 19:54   #86
Velociryx
staff

Several things occured to me on the drive home.

First....the more I find out about this, the angrier I get....and the more determined to carry it through.

Second....I write strategy guides (among other things)....it's what I do....it's what I know....and it seems to me that this is nothing more than an exercise of the same basic strategic principles I write so much about.

This is a battle, and it would seem that the other guy has the upper hand (their side has tanks, Our side has Longbowmen.. )

So....what do you do when all the obvious avenues of attack are closed off? EDIT: In response to Sauron's post just now (cross-posted with him), he's right, all avenues of attack have NOT yet been exhausted....I'm just....thinking out loud here....

You simply force a change of venue to one where things are more even.

The fact is, there IS a way around all this stuff, we're just not seeing it yet.

Examples of workarounds that may apply:
We have blue laws in the deep south that prevent the sale of alcahol on Sunday.

What people started doing:
Selling "tickets" and giving drinks away (in exchange for X-number of tickets)

Associated application:
I just finished writing an adventure novel. I could arrange it with my printer such that, for every order for the adventure novel I got, a copy of "the guide" was sent out for free, no? ::evil grin::

Similarly, two excellent alternate plans have been fronted here by others. What about doing an in-depth review of the Prima Guide (posting my own strats in with the review as "things that they should have included")?

Or, simply publishing it outside the states?

Others? Comments on the above?

-=Vel=-
(Note to Infogreed: Never tell a redneck he can't...hehe)

Last edited by Velociryx; December 13, 2001 at 20:23.
Old December 13, 2001, 20:24   #87
Sniffer
Settler

I didn't know that you wrote fiction as well Vel. I'm beginning to think that we are the same person. At least you are posting from South Carolina. If you were posting from Maryland, I would really start to get nervous.

And officially, we weren't charging for the guide itself--this is rather amusing, but the charge is for the capacity to download the material rather than the guide. No one really cares, and it didn't change anything, but I wanted to mention that in case the legal gurus here thought that an angle could be used from that.

What do guys do during the day to make money? Anyone want to jump in to the exciting world of underpaid, warrior writers? Fight the law, live on Ramen for days at a time, make 1/4 what you wife makes. I am joking around, but I have been thinking of ways to make money off of writing for some time (with strategy guides being only a part of that--there can only be so many big guide releases per year, after all). Anyone here want to start something new? One of the long term goals for a group of mine up here is to have a fiction publication (what some would call a zine or ezine) that charges a minor amount and provides very high quality material in return. This is not an easy road, but there are a couple of people who are already a bit interested. The way some of you were talking, I just thought that I would mention this.

Wait--I just had another idea on the legal front. What if you wrote a guide for 4x games in general. Gear it toward Civ3, hint toward Civ3, but never spell out the details. Everyone would know the truth, but what could Prima/Infogrames do then, say that you had too many ideas? Of course, that leaves you without screenshots again, so it isn't that much of a brilliant offering.
Old December 13, 2001, 20:31   #88
Velociryx
staff

Yep....a fellow starving artist! And you know, Maryland isn't all THAT far off.....perhaps a creative jam session is in order soon....any good Mexican restaurants you could recommend in the area....

By day, I work on a helpdesk, fixing computer problems for other folks, and surfing here when the phone's not ringing. Went to school to study business (specifically, the economies of developing nations, with an eye toward joining the Peace Corps and going to Kenya....however, upon my graduation, folks with pale skin were being hunted down and killed in number in Kenya, so I decided it a wiser course to stay home....how I wound up doing what I'm doing is STILL a bit mystifying...lol)

As to the strat guides, I don't use any screenies or pictures in any of my work anyway, so that would not cramp my style at all....I've gotten quite accustomed to 'splaining things with (hopefully) a level of clarity that renders the screenshots nice if I could use them, but non-essential. (fingers are crossed there!)

Interesting detail 'bout the method of payment....or rather, what the payment was FOR...hmmm.....have to get the input of the legal folks on that one.....I have no idea what the implications are.....but keep the faith! I got a good feelin'....

-=Vel=-
Old December 13, 2001, 20:38   #89
Velociryx
staff

....and another thing....
.....so then....what Prima/Infogreed is essentially saying is that, if two guys were discussing Civ3 in a Barnes and Noble coffee shop, and got talking about the game "too deeply" such that nearby listeners might actually glean some USEFUL information about the game, the InfoCops could sue them (or write them a threatening Cease and Dissist letter) because their conversations might degrade Infogreed's royalty position by drawing a couple sales away from Prima's guide.

That's very interesting to me.

I don't think there's a courtroom anyplace in America that it would stand up in, but that's very interesting.

-=Vel=-
(the nerve of these people is simply astounding....)
Old December 13, 2001, 22:19   #90
HGI_Doug
Settler

Ok, I did fail to mention two other ideas.

1) My business advisor (who knows zilch about strat guides or gaming) was interested in the possibility of calling the guide nothing more than an in-depth review. This was suggested by someone else also. The problem I see is that this has "inside joke" written all over it. Sure, we'd let you guys know the nitty gritty, but Joe Q. Gamer dialing in through Google.com sure as heck ain't about to PAY for a REVIEW.

2) Subscription based sites. Charge a nominal fee for a year's worth of membership, gather up a team of strat writers and post enough content to keep everyone happy. We could call it the Insider... oops that's taken

The real issue here is that Prima saw that we lack their overhead, our content kicked a$$ (thanks to Sniffer) and if we did ever get the money to advertise, we'd kill them. This, of course, is a conflict of interest for me anyway since authoring the Official guides puts food on my table, but... "Official Online Guides" now there's where the future is.