Old December 9, 2001, 07:10   #1
Ralf
King

Local Time: 19:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Changing conquered city-assimilation is easy
First read this about conquered foreign citizens. I found it in the game Civilopedia:

Quote:
Resistance represents the unvillingness of citizens of a strong culture to be subjugated by another, less valuable culture. When a city is captured, a comparison of the two civilization culture values of the two civilizations determines if any of the foreign nationals will resist.

Resisters are unvilling to work under the new regime, but continue to eat food.

Stopping resistance:
Resisters can be quelled by ending the war or by garrison strong military units in the city - the more the better.
Now after reading above, open your Civilization III map and doubleclick the "Civ3mod" icon; Then click the Culture-tab. There you guys can tweak back and forth how big the conquered Civ resistance-chance should be regardless what cultural opinions neighbor Civs have of you. The default figures is:

Conquered citizens is distantful of your culture = Initial resistance-chance 90%. Continued = 80%.
Conquered citizens is dissmissive of your culture = Initial resistance-chance 80%. Continued = 70%.
Conquered citizens is unimpressed by your culture = Initial resistance-chance 70%. Continued = 60%.
Conquered citizens is impressed by your culture = Initial resistance-chance 60%. Continued = 50%.
Conquered citizens is admirers of your culture = Initial resistance-chance 50%. Continued = 40%.
Conquered citizens is in awe of your culture = Initial resistance-chance 40%. Continued = 30%.

Hell, you can even tweak the RATIO for each of above culture opinions - and add new ones, as well. Check it out.

Just remember: The easier you make it to oppress/assimilate conquered AI-cities, the easier it is for the AI-invader to oppress/assimilate your cities as well. Its a double-edged sword, you know.

Finally, I remembered one Firaxian saying something about 1 martial law-opressing combat-unit for each conquered foreign citizen. I dont know if this thumb of rule still applies with that new patch, and if it does so regardless difficulty-level. Anyway, with the changes made under that CivMod-editor Culture-tab, at least the probabilities, and the duration of it all, can be made much shorter, if one prefers that.

I havent tried it out myself, but its riskfree to do so, since one can always choose the editor-menu Rules -> Restore default Rules if something goes horribly wrong. Or back up the CivMod file.

Last edited by Ralf; December 9, 2001 at 07:21.
Old December 9, 2001, 13:18   #2
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 19:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sounds good thanks. I'll give it a go later, hopefully it will solve of the weird stuff I've been getting (city goes over to me by assimilation, gets conquered 20 turns later, I retake it and then it switches back again).