Old December 9, 2001, 11:43   #1
Moraelin
Warlord

Local Time: 18:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Be careful what you wish for...
... you might just get it.

So I'm thinking "wth, tanks losing to hoplites is downright silly". So I get the editor and start modding, to drastically reduce the probability of that happening. I also up the defence of cities and fortresses, while I'm at it.

And I start a new game with that...

And now on a whole flippin' half of the world there is NO saltpeter. In fact, I have like two strategic resources total on my side of the map. I'm defending my Universal Sufrage and Wall Street with Hoplites. Yep, you read that right. Hoplites. Is it fun, or what?

I COULD attack the English for their Saltpeter, but it's highly unlikely that I could win. And the English are the only ones who aren't against me, anyway, so I'm having second thoughts about annoying them.
Old December 9, 2001, 11:51   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 13:14
Can you trade for their saltpeter?
Old December 9, 2001, 12:20   #3
Moraelin
Warlord

Strangely enough, the English don't seem to have discovered Gunpowder yet.

Well, truth be told, it's not like I can't conquer them if I really try, but they're the only ones not on the brink of war with me. For some reason, the whole rest of the world seems to be royally annoyed me. (Dunno why. I never posted on their forums) Not sure if it wouldn't turn into a world war.

And the saltpeter isn't even just across the border, it's all the way across the British empire. Even if I march all the way there, it's not like I can quickly connect it to my cities, have an instant upgrade all over, and not care about counter-attacks any more.

Guess I'll just have to try.

Just thought it was funny either way, though.
Old December 9, 2001, 13:48   #4
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 19:14
Quote:
Strangely enough, the English don't seem to have discovered Gunpowder yet.
Give them the tech, and not only will they like you better, they are more likely to give you the resource as well.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old December 9, 2001, 14:52   #5
Moraelin
Warlord

Well, as I've said, it's not really that I have a major problem or anything. It's mostly just that I found it funny. I mean, I've played several games and usually I have everything and don't even need to trade anything. And there I'm thinking that resources don't even make any difference.

And then the instant I go making my own balance based on that assumption, comes one game where I don't have just about anything. I mean, forget saltpeter, I don't even have horses to make knights. THAT kind of thing.

Dunno, looked to me like poetic (in)justice
Old December 10, 2001, 07:05   #6
Thomas Paine
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:14
Perhaps the next patch will address kharmic inbalances.
Old December 10, 2001, 08:58   #7
xane
Chieftain

Ah, karma, just reminded me ...

Karma Ghost