Old June 6, 2000, 17:51   #1
Gameopolis

Lets Not Get Carried Away Now!
I was looking at all the ideas peeps have and I think they ar all great but we must realize we cannot break things down such as "Micromanaging Trade Routes in the West of East Asia" Making the Game to Complex will make it hard to play and painstaking. I don't know how many of you want to play until your brain Blows Ups, not me though.
[This message has been edited by Gameopolis (edited June 06, 2000).]

Old June 6, 2000, 18:47   #2
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some of us like new ideas, you know...

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old June 6, 2000, 21:26   #3
Kumiorava
Prince

Local Time: 19:22
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I like to play untill my "brain blows up".
Occasionally.
Old June 6, 2000, 22:05   #4
Gameopolis

Playing for a long time is really fun. I just playing Civ 2 for 3 Hours. I was saying that complexing a game so you have 1 Option which breaks down it 10 then those break down it 10 more. 100 Options! Are you crazy! Keeping a game simple yet complex in a way will make you want to play until you've tried everything. I think that is goal of all game makers.

Old June 6, 2000, 22:05   #5
L o k i

If we don't get carried away, we'll all be stuck with the same old thing.

If we change things, over time, we can improve our abilities on things. I think I used to be really bad at doom, but when they made games more complex, it became even harder, but slowly I get used to it. So it's pretty obvious that games will continously get harder and more complex, otherwise the gaming industry in the strategy area would die out.

Old June 6, 2000, 22:15   #6
Hasdrubal
Prince

Local Time: 01:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You are right. IMO, what makes Civ work so well is the simplicity of its concepts, and the way that all these simple things combine together intricately to form a very complex game in the end.
But we are all just brainstorming here. Just for the fun of it. Even if none of our thoughts would ever make it into the game, we'd all still be posting here. But you can bet, that some of our ideas will appear into the game! My guess is, that it won't be any of those complex, elaborate ideas, but the genuine original and simple to implement ones.

------------------
Ceterum censeo Romanem esse delendam.
Old June 6, 2000, 22:16   #7
OrangeSfwr

Hey, the more complex the better. It makes longer more thought out games.

Gameopolis - I hear ya, I'm so addicted to Civ...I've been playing the same WWII scenario I've played umteen times since 5:45 (about 6 hours ago!) I mean it's pretty much same old same old. I hope Civ 3 is MUCH more in depth. Besides, it's fun to discuss whether firaxis uses it or not

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~
"Oh, they have the Internet on computers now!"

Old June 6, 2000, 22:30   #8
Gameopolis

OrangeSfwr are you interested in WWII, I'm only 14 years old but I really like playing WWII related games such as "Axis and Allies" Also I really like all the Ideas people are suggesting, they are really interesting to me. I have my own ideas at my website, http://www.geocities.com/gameopolis/ If you have any Ideas for CIV 3 or DINOS email me, simtycoon@aol.com and I will post them on my website. Complexing a Game to where it is enjoyable yet not painstaking (Looking at a Book Every 3 mintues, "Where is it At, D** It!")

Old June 6, 2000, 22:41   #9
OrangeSfwr

Yuppers. I'm a history buff. Probably going 2 make a profession out of it (teacher) I love everything History related, not just WWII. But it is very interesting and playing a game about it adds to it.

I saw your website - (websites - my other passion. I make 'em. Flash, Dreamweaver, Director. Own a company with my friend. We launch this summer. )
It's good but still needs a lot of work (I realize you recently launches so I'm not bashing it) I'll keep checking back though.

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~
"Oh, they have the Internet on computers now!"
[This message has been edited by OrangeSfwr (edited June 06, 2000).]

Old June 6, 2000, 22:54   #10
Gameopolis

Thanks for the "It's good" comment. I really am interested in History too. Like WWII, Politics, War in General, Also Orange do you have any constructive critism on how I can improve my website? You know what would be cool if there was a website where you submitted an Idea for a Scenario and people would make it. Hmmm... maybe I will start that, not sure.

Also my website is about Sid Meier's Dinosaurs, mainly based on that. I think it will be a good game.

Futhermore people are always bashing my "IDEAS" like I care, saying they are unrealistic or some kind of PUT DOWN.