Old December 9, 2001, 22:41   #1
karlmarx9001
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Are golden ages treated as rush building?
So, I was playing a single city game on emperor, small map, as the English. I finished the Colossus, which started my Golden Age, and started up the Oracle to prepare to switch over to the Great Library. When I researched Literature I was about half done on the Oracle.

However, I couldn't switch to either the Great Library, or even the Pyramids, neither of which had been built! I wacked "end turn" over and over until the golden age ended, and *then* I could build the Pyramids and Great Library.

Is this a bug? It appears that the game thought the extra production I received from the golden age was rush building, and it wouldn't let me switch. I thought that maybe I had cleared off a forest by accident and that was causing the problem; but I checked the 4000 BC autosave and there was no extra trees. What the heck is going on here?
Old December 10, 2001, 03:43   #2
karlmarx9001
Chieftain

Alright, I figured out what it was: I disbanded a warrior in the city while I was producing the Oracle. This doesn't add any production, but it flags the city as "having forest/disband/hurry" production in it. Therefore, when it checks to see if you should be able to switch to a different wonder, it says no. It just doesn't notice that you're already producing one and didn't gain any benefit from the hurry. If you discard all the shields by switching to wealth, you can then build wonders normally.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug or unintentional effect, as you receive a no-switch wonder penalty for disbanding a unit in the city, even though you get no production for it.
Old December 10, 2001, 03:49   #3
karlmarx9001
Chieftain

Yet another tiny update: cutting down trees doesn't cause this problem, just disbanding units.