Old January 28, 2002, 23:36   #421
Encomium
Warlord

Local Time: 13:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why Culture Flipping Sucks
I don't know if this is a bug, even more AI stupidity, or just Sid's weird view of reality.

Whatever, here is what happened.

I have a mine, road, and garrisoned fortress near my border. The Aztecs move up another of those DAMN LAND-GRABBING SETTLERS again (extremely irritating) and build a town. Eventually, the border flips in that area, and now MY improvements and spearmen are in Aztec territory.

This happened even though I led the Aztecs in overall score.

I am then told "your recent movements of troops. . ." may cause a war for which YOU will be blamed. Or some such garbage.

I will NOT leave MY improvements, and even though I am militarily superior to the Aztecs they provoke the war (while blaming me). They of course start losing the war quickly - but their STUPID AI advisor is extremely stubborn, almost suicidal. I had to wipe them out.

Five hundred years later I cross an ocean. . . and the Egyptians, who never heard of the extinct Aztecs, won't trade with me "because of the deal you broke with the Aztecs"!! That's a deal the Egyptians never should have even knew of, nor cared about.

Culture Flipping borders are as big a CROCK as culture flipping cities (with their vanishing garrisons). And the AI advisor is an idiot. Beyond that, expecting someone to abandon their own improvements because for some reason known only to Sid a border flipped is ASININE.
Old January 29, 2002, 05:32   #422
RO
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:17
A simple and much needed change
When you get a tech advance the advance is implemented after you have gone through all the city build queue prompts. It would heave been much more efficient if it had been the other way around.

As it is, I have to remember going back to all the relevant cities to add that much awaited unit or improvement to the build queue after the tech advance has been implemented. I would save a good deal of time by being allowed to do it the first time through.

Robert
Old January 29, 2002, 19:04   #423
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 05:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: A simple and much needed change
Quote:
Originally posted by RO
When you get a tech advance the advance is implemented after you have gone through all the city build queue prompts. It would heave been much more efficient if it had been the other way around.
It seems the game only loops through the cities once. I've proposed a double loop to handle this:

for each city
  • add to current production, finishing items as needed
  • do pollution
  • add to science and treasury
calculate trade network
if science is done, choose next advance
for each city
  • deduct maintenance for improvements from treasury
  • if production finished, choose next item to produce
Old January 29, 2002, 23:50   #424
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

CD
I have multiple CD-ROM drives on my computer just like anyone else who has a new computer does.

I would like it if I could run Civ3 with the CD-ROM in any of my CD drives. Riven works this way. It would really help if Civ3 would too.
Old January 30, 2002, 00:59   #425
star mouse
Prince

I would like to be able to see visible ID numbers for military units as a configurable option. It may aid the story writers that are tracking the adventures of a particular battleship to know what that ship did in a war. Modern military hardware such as ships and aircraft have ID numbers on them, and it would be great if my CIV military hardware also had numbers.

This would work by changing the display in the bottom right corner from "Battleship" to "Battleship #14".
Old January 30, 2002, 01:00   #426
star mouse
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
I would like to be able to see visible ID numbers for military units as a configurable option.
Another idea I've just had - I would like to be able to name my ships!
Old February 1, 2002, 07:56   #427
Nemesis
Settler

In a Monarch-game I started yesterday something strange happened.
Standardmap two continents. My (Cleopatra) continent filled with
Americans, Japanese, Persians and Romans. The other continent with
French, Germans and Iroquois.
During midgame the Persians and Iroquois where destroyed. After that
I noticed that the Germans and Frech had dissapeared from the
Foreign Advisor screen. So I couldn't contact them anymore through this
screen.
The other civ-leader-images had huddled up together top-left (10 to 1 o'clock).
I don't remember all the starting positions but Caesar had moved from
7 to 10 o'clock. When I moved my mousepointer to 4 o'clock a green filled
circle appeared that enabled me to contact the Japanese. The Japanese
leader-image was at 11 o'clock.
I don't know if it has happened before and if it's some kind of bug.
Maybe my videocard is going crazy. I have not yet reloaded the game
but I'll try that today.
Old February 1, 2002, 11:35   #428
barefootbadass
Prince

Re: A simple and much needed change
Quote:
Originally posted by RO
The only thing I have seen that would cause this is if the tech revealed a new resource and the units available with the tech needed that resource, the problem would be that the game hasn't calculated that the resource is there if you happened to have one connected. My solution is to go pillage one useless square of road in my empire which forces the game to recalculate the resource requirements for all your cities.

This is a bug. Your trade network should be recalculated when you get an advance that reveals the location of a resource automatically.
Old February 1, 2002, 11:44   #429
barefootbadass
Prince

Re: Why Culture Flipping Sucks
Quote:
Originally posted by Encomium
I don't know if this is a bug, even more AI stupidity, or just Sid's weird view of reality.

I have a mine, road, and garrisoned fortress near my border. The Aztecs move up another of those DAMN LAND-GRABBING SETTLERS again (extremely irritating) and build a town. Eventually, the border flips in that area, and now MY improvements and spearmen are in Aztec territory.

I will NOT leave MY improvements, and even though I am militarily superior to the Aztecs they provoke the war (while blaming me). They of course start losing the war quickly - but their STUPID AI advisor is extremely stubborn, almost suicidal. I had to wipe them out.

Culture Flipping borders are as big a CROCK as culture flipping cities (with their vanishing garrisons). And the AI advisor is an idiot. Beyond that, expecting someone to abandon their own improvements because for some reason known only to Sid a border flipped is ASININE.
No bugs, its how the game works. If you don't want that to happen work on your culture more or expand so that area wasn't the border. Also, I never build fortresses until my borders are fairly stable.

Your point about culture flipping borders being a crock is silly because that is the whole point of culture borders. It is an abstract way to represent 'inluence'. Obviously a new city could steal some influence(at least momentarily, if you would build some more cultural improvements you could push them back, or build another city and start pumping cultural improvements if that border city is already really high in culture.
Old February 1, 2002, 19:09   #430
Golden Bear
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
King

Local Time: 10:17
Reasonable Fixes
I gotta say, I like the corruption and culture (-flipping) aspects of the game. They make the game unique, they make sense, leave 'em be.

Changes that I care about:
- Moving stacks instead of individual units - please!
- Let us see "red faces" for unhappiness on the F1 summary screen so that we can address issues before they come up and so that we do not have to sweep around later!
- A "goto city" (g key) command a la AC would be a lot handier than what is currently installed.
- Fix the Indian Elephant.
- Personal brainstorm (-fa_t?): let me write some notes that time activate so that I remember to do things at 10 or 20 turns (or 100!) in the future.

Another culture flipping note... now that we have been told the fundamentals of how the process works, I find that I can pretty well predict, and generally avoid, the problem. "Fan-shaped" advances work better than focused thrusts for adopting territory. If there is a lone exposed city out in the middle of enemy country with high culture surrounding it, I gut the city, starve it down, ruin ALL improvements and let it revert. It is a sadistic sort of fun, but it works for me.

OTOH, the end of the game sucks. Warfare is not fun - too many units, too slow.

Oh well, no more blah blah blah.

GB
Old February 2, 2002, 22:22   #431
MegaCore
Settler

Local Time: 19:17
1.16f is so bugged it is unplayable!!
It never fails.. everytime i get to the middle ages, it crashes constantly when the turn ends. I cant play the damn game before this bug is taken care of!

I have tried disabling all the different options (including revolt pop-up) , but nothing helps. I cant believe Firaxis hasn´t solved this problem yet, as the 1.16f patch has been out for a while now.
Old February 4, 2002, 05:14   #432
Dimension
Warlord

two LEGITIMATE bugs
Video Mode:

KeepRes=1 works just fine in the Civilization3.Ini file, but Video Mode doesn't work at all. Under "ini file tweaks," the readme.txt specifically says:

Quote:
Video Mode=1792 / Video Mode=1600 / Video Mode=1280 / Video Mode=1152 - Force screen resolution to one of these settings.
None of those work.

Railroads:

There is a very annoying problem I ran into with two different squares I was trying to build railroads on. Both times there should have been 11 action buttons for the worker (6 in the top row). The workers were on luxury resources on flat land. The tile was irrigated with a road. The top-row options should have been:

1 - (B)uild Colony
2 - Build (R)ailroad
3 - Build (F)ortress (Ctrl-F)
4 - Build (M)ine
5 - Pla(n)t Forest
6 - (A)utomate

Instead, "Build (R)ailroad was missing". I tried building a fortress, then it let me build the railroad. I tried pillaging everything, and then it properly showed 12 total buttons, including "Build (R)ailroad" and "(I)rrigate." I'm having trouble repeating this...
Old February 4, 2002, 06:41   #433
Romothecus
Settler

Game-crashing bug
In a game, I destroyed all Roman cities. However, the Romans had a settler aboard a caravel. I sank the caravel, destroying the Romans, which instantly crashed the game. It tried to several times over, and the same thing happened. Also, this caravel carrying the nearly-extinct Romans never moves, it sits in the same square forever.
It's impossible to end the war with the Romans because I can't contact them; they keep refusing my envoys. Thus, my democracy is doomed because of the War Weariness.
Old February 6, 2002, 01:12   #434
Encomium
Warlord

THIS IS SURELY A BUG!!
Culture Flipping doesn't get more ridiculous than this.

I led all as the Iroquois, but Greece Declared War with no warning (or apparent reason) anyway even though they had been "Polite" for centuries and we had just concluded a trade deal.

I crushed them. None too smart by their AI.

914 to 538 is the score, Iroquois to Greeks, and that difference is rapidly increasing owing to my military victory twelve turns earlier.

I have eighteen cities, and the Greeks just two. My Culture is very high, likely five times that of the Greeks. Sparta has a temple and library, plus the usual useless large garrison. My Military could swat the Greeks like a fly.

So what happens? Sparta flips, turns Greek, and the garrison vanishes. "Imagine"!!

No, I can't imagine. IT IS EFFING ABSURD.

So now I go to war, raze Sparta, but even the Indians will hate me as a "warmonger".

Another game ruined.

Obviously, Culture Flipping is determined ONLY by the PROXIMITY of one civ's laborers to their capital city, and no doubt some randomizing factor. It is truly a joke.
Old February 6, 2002, 20:25   #435
vetcrusader
Settler

Local Time: 10:17
trade connection bug
There is a trade connection bug. The Chinese (at war) built a city on my roads, effectively disrupting trade routes between two parts of my empire. I attacked the city, which was automatically destroyed since it had no culture. Now the intervening territory between two cities is all roads which belong to no country. I have checked to make sure fog of war is not hiding anything; the roads are in place, and there is no enemy territory on any of the roads. But the game does not register that there is a trade connection between the towns. Somehow the fact that there used to be a Chinese city there makes it not register as a trade connection.
Old February 6, 2002, 21:35   #436
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 11:17
Re: THIS IS SURELY A BUG!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Encomium

Obviously, Culture Flipping is determined ONLY by the PROXIMITY of one civ's laborers to their capital city, and no doubt some randomizing factor. It is truly a joke.
Why don't you just read this, you might learn how not to leave yourself vulnerable to a flip.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=39825

At the very least, you might learn how the game works before you shoot your mouth off.

To bad you can't win all the time, I guess it's a lousy game if you have to lose once in awhile eh?

Last edited by Willem; February 7, 2002 at 17:48.
Old February 7, 2002, 11:49   #437
Aachoo
Settler

Resurrected Civs
Jeff,

I installed the second version of the patch immediatley after installing Civ III, so have never played the game w/o the patch or using the first version of the patch.

I have replayed one game several times, restarting from different points to experiment with strategy, etc. In the current version of this game, as in prior versions of the game, I completely destroy a civ, Russia. In the current version of this game, after destroying the last Russian city, I notice that there are still Russian naval units milling about and cities are reverting to Russia in culture flips. But there is no Russian capital in the city location dialog box, I have no embassy with Russia, and the embassy dialog box does not list Russia. When I recapture the flipped cities, Russian naval units are still on the map, I can access Russian leader to discuss trade, etc. but there are no Russian cities listed in city location dialog box. Can a civ have no capital, no cities? Looks like a bug to me.

Geoff
Old February 7, 2002, 17:21   #438
Romothecus
Settler

Re: Resurrected Civs
Dude, I already posted this bug... its because one or more of the ships is carrying a settler of dead civ. But if you sink that ship, it'll crash the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aachoo
Jeff,

I installed the second version of the patch immediatley after installing Civ III, so have never played the game w/o the patch or using the first version of the patch.

I have replayed one game several times, restarting from different points to experiment with strategy, etc. In the current version of this game, as in prior versions of the game, I completely destroy a civ, Russia. In the current version of this game, after destroying the last Russian city, I notice that there are still Russian naval units milling about and cities are reverting to Russia in culture flips. But there is no Russian capital in the city location dialog box, I have no embassy with Russia, and the embassy dialog box does not list Russia. When I recapture the flipped cities, Russian naval units are still on the map, I can access Russian leader to discuss trade, etc. but there are no Russian cities listed in city location dialog box. Can a civ have no capital, no cities? Looks like a bug to me.

Geoff
Old February 10, 2002, 02:02   #439
KoenigMkII
Chieftain

I have an issue with CIV III's handling of the War weariness effect under the Democracy government type:

I am playing v1.16f on a huge world with 12 starting civs. (system: 500MHz PIII, 384MB Ram., Windows 2000)

Larger worlds can have more AI's; more AI's meen it is possible to be at war with a larger number simultaneously.

Each separate war seems to cause its own quota of war weariness if the gamer has a Democratic or Republic gov.

So if you are attacked by distant AI civs you're government will be forced to regress to Monarchy or Communism, and no amount of luxeries/or luxury setting can prevent a plague of unhappy citizens.

If this was a response to a democracy attempting aggressive war, it would be fully justified in gaming terms. But a democracy falling beause it is attacked, fighting a defensive war, and wins every battle??

It is exasperating to be forced to change your government type, with no production or science for 7 turns, in a completely unrealistic way by long-distance DOW's from the AI's.

Democracy is unplayable with a large number of AI rivals, it feels totally unrealistic to spend the last 25% of the game turns in Monarchy. See below for an expansion on this topic.

----------------------------------------------

let me pick a colorful historical example :-)

Pearl Harbour: Japan attacks US fleet: US Democracy unites against external agression and fights a victorious total war against Japan.

Now at what stage during this war did the US cities start to burn down in Riots?? At what stage did a workers insurrrection occur? What year did America invite the King of England back to run her war for her? :-)

-------------------------------------------
A few thoughts on how to address this:
Perhaps a more sensible restriction on Democracies would be to ban them from raising captured enemy cities to the ground under all circumstances [exception: using nukes in retaliation]

If thats done, then defensive war war-weariness can be removed completely - agressive war war-weariness can remain as it is, since that is realistic and it would make the gameplay more fun.

Again, first use of Nuclear weapons should cause unhappiness in the home cites. But if the AI starts a nuclear war, then the gamer should be allowed full and total freedom in nuclear targeting, if he/she is just retaliating.

-------------------------------------------
New Government type needed?
The alternative is to allow a Democarcy/Republic to switch to a Facist government (As Republic but with 3 Mil units as Military police, 30% science penalty, full mobilisation restrctions [no civilian improvments], all moral restrictions removed, perhaps with a special 10 turn time penalty to change back to Democracy.

With Facism, it the science penalty could grow with time, as long term restrictions on freedom of expression will allways slow science down. It would also discourage use of Facism except as a last resort.

A special punishment for use of the Facism gov type could be a reduction in your score, and a skull and cross-bones icon blinking accusingly on one of the last, victory, screens...

All of the above is just IMHO of course :-)

Last edited by KoenigMkII; February 10, 2002 at 02:19.
Old February 10, 2002, 02:58   #440
KoenigMkII
Chieftain

My second major issue is with the dreaded corruption in Civ III:

The level of corruption experienced by a democratic government is largely irrelevent (in the real world) to capital location.- In Civ III the location of the capital /Forbidden city are absolutely crucial, even in the higher goverments.

This is a near perfect model for a Despotism/Monarchy/Communism, sort of OK for republic (but corruption should still be less intense for republic), but an absurd one for a high tech democracy.

On a huge map, corruption is not controllable once a democracy is a fifth of the land area of the map - the peripheral cities are horribly crippled. But a lot depends on the shape of the Civ's territory - its the distance from Cap. /F.C. factor that kills your production.

Since the location of vital resources is not known until you have the tech to see them on the map, axis of previous expansion may leave a gamer with extremely poorly placed capital and F.C. for future desired expansion -its not enough to build a colony/isolated city near enough to a vital resource, its a sitting duck for the AI's naval-heavy strategy. Once the Harbour allowing access to a distant resource is destroyed- zap, no coal/oil/iron etc.

To protect your vital resorces securely only defence in depth will do. This meens ideally a ring of productive cities with strong garrisons. Because of the illogical (IMHO) "curruption is a function of distance from capital" in Civ III for a Democratic government, you can easily find yourself building totally crippled cities, and forced to buy cultural city improvements at high cost to prevent flipping/AI infiltration.

All of the above problems still apply with all the anti-corruption city improvements taken in account. Democracy dosn't help, indeed democracy is the biggest symptom that the corruption/waste schema is not working in Civ III for the late game.

On a huge map, corruption/waste cannot be fixed by the gamer, its just a total fun killer for the last 25% of the game turns. The special resources are a great idea - but we need to expand to use them.

Some folks using standard size maps are claiming that the corruption in 1.16f is not that bad/manageable. I wonder if the scale factor that adjusts corruption for the larger maps has some kind of problem with it??
Old February 10, 2002, 04:42   #441
star mouse
Prince

Display bug with modified BIC file
I am playing with a modified BIC file, where I have adjusted the experience levels to these settings:
  • Conscript = 3
  • Regular = 5
  • Veteran = 8
  • Elite = 12
The display bug happens when a unit with an experience level greater than the usual 5 is moved across the map. The bar is longer than usual, and when the unit moves, it is not redrawn properly.

The attached image shows a Japanese galley off the coast of my Iroquois empire. It is Veteran (8 max health). It was also damaged by a Barbarian privateer in combat (Barbarian privateers are another mod). The damaged bits of the health bar are not being redrawn.

I have also noticed this bug happening when an undamaged unit moves. In this case, the little yellow dot at the top of the movement bar is not being erased. Units that are being moved sometimes leave trails of little yellow dots.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civ3bug3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	9742  
Old February 11, 2002, 02:32   #442
Willem
Emperor

I've spent the last 2 months working on a mod and tonight, as I was putting through what I hoped was it's final paces, I discovered that the game was resetting my science rate. Every turn for at least 10 turns, I would turn the science rate down to 10%. And every turn the game would put it up to 40%. I decided to try using the original BIC to see what would happen and sure enough, the problem went away.

So please hurry up with that damn patch and the new editor because I just don't want to do any more! My heart's really not not into starting from scratch again just to find out what's causing this bug.
Old February 12, 2002, 15:14   #443
DaXX
Chieftain

the game should report an error if you try to start two copies

popup a little messagebox and just say "Civ is already running"
Old February 12, 2002, 15:17   #444
DaXX
Chieftain

Ok currently this glitch is causing me some pretty harsh gloom and doom.....

i have a 2 movement point tank, take it and assault a square with a single enemy unit. if i vanquish it, i roll over it and can attack another square.

if i do the same exact thing, except assault a square with multiple units in it.... if i win combat victory, that's it. my turn is over for that tank. but wait i thought i have two movement points and i can attack multiple times??? so why the harsh penalty for attacking a square that contains multiple units??? i'm not talking about assaulting a city here, i'm talking about combat on the open terrain of the fertile steppe.

so now i run my tanks around my railroad networks looking to assault squares with just 1 unit in them so i can do multiple attacks... lame workaround... the enemy can bring a stack of 8 knights *KNIGHTS* at me, i need to respond with *8* tanks!! ugh
Old February 12, 2002, 15:26   #445
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DaXX
the game should report an error if you try to start two copies

popup a little messagebox and just say "Civ is already running"
I wasn't running two copies, I switched Bic files then started again.
Old February 12, 2002, 16:56   #446
DaXX
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

I wasn't running two copies, I switched Bic files then started again.
my post was unrelated to yours
Old February 12, 2002, 16:58   #447
DaXX
Chieftain

There should be an option under "Show units over cities" that allows "Show units over boats"
Old February 12, 2002, 17:05   #448
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

my post was unrelated to yours
Oh, sorry.
Old February 12, 2002, 19:05   #449
DaXX
Chieftain

when using GoTo with my galley's, the course computation fails often when dealing with gaps of the maximum range. i'm on an archipellago with lots of 3-space gaps, the ship range is 3, skipping from island to island in some areas requires you to have the full movement points allowed... it appears the logic in place doesn't know the technique of going to that location, pausing a turn to have full movement points, then fjording the gap.

this shouldn't be too hard to code as i am able to fjord these gaps quite easily using my primitive monkey brain logic

Last edited by DaXX; February 12, 2002 at 19:11.
Old February 12, 2002, 19:09   #450
star mouse
Prince

Quote:
when using GoTo with my galley's, the course computation fails often when dealing with gaps of the maximum range of my galley
You've got to have SOME advantage over the AI and its ocean-going galleys....