Old December 10, 2001, 17:57   #1
planetguy
Settler

Local Time: 10:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
fungus resources
Hi all,
I have a newbie question which I can't seem to find out from the game documentation or from the forum archives. Exactly which techs allow for improved resource gathering from the fungus? Thanks in advance.

planetguy
Old December 11, 2001, 11:45   #2
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 14:18
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
fungus restrictions eased at...
Energy:
Centauri Meditation (Explore 5)
Secrets of Alpha Centauri (Discover 12)
Temporal Mechanics (Build 14)

Minerals:
Centauri Genetics (Explore 7)
Matter Transmission (Build 13)
Threshold of Transcendence (Explore 15)

Nutrients:
Centaury Ecology (Explore 1)
Centauri Psi (Explore 8) (also allows terraforming in fungus, and fungus counts as road for movement)

Other:
Centauri Empathy (Explore 3) - build roads in fungus
Old December 11, 2001, 16:04   #3
wheathin
Prince

Local Time: 18:18
Quick question: if I plant a farm in a fungus square in the very late game, do I get the funus benefits ADDED to whatever the terraforming gives? I.e. if fungus is woth 2,2,2, to me, and I get the ability to terraform fungus, does that let me place farms and solar for 2,2,2 + 2,0,1, total 4,2,3?

What does "terraform fungus" mean?
Old December 11, 2001, 16:36   #4
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 11:18
Quick answer: NO!

You will not get both. It is one or the other.

And don't forget about the Manifold Harmonics SP for enhancing your fungus production. Usually comes too late in the game to be much use, but the movie is nice.

Centauri Psi allows you to do whatever you feel like in the way of terraforming options without getting rid of the fungus first.
Old December 11, 2001, 21:06   #5
Yxklyx
Warlord

Not too late in my game. I had just finished foresting my continent when I built the Manifold Harmonics as Cult of Planet (Double Blind research). At that time I was getting 3-2-4 from the Fungus (better than the Forests) so I had to start this massive fungus planting campaign. The 3-4-5 you eventually get is really nice but I was kind of surprised to see all the eco damage! Also it seems that once I had built Voice of Planet I lost my Planet modifier for Psi combat (was at 70% for a while) - can someone confirm this? The whole continent had fungus when the mind worm onslaught started and it was worse because they could move all over the place.
Old December 13, 2001, 06:00   #6
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 05:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I just basically kill off all the fungus on general principle, even if it can be productive it often gets in the way. The MH comes just too late in the game to reverse all the terraforming I've already done. Maybe it should come earlier...
Old December 17, 2001, 15:29   #7
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 13:18
I also agree that the Harmonics comes along too late to be of any use. If you're running a good green society, then the extra mins push you over the cliff (I call the MH the Drowner). Yesterday for the first time I built it without major hassle: playing Domai at FM/Cybernetic with Nexus for planet +0 - but all that does is +1 energy in fungus squares. Fungus is then 2-1-3, but still not good enough to have as the only terraforming.

The MH would be extraordinarily powerful for a mid-game SP: when fungus is 1-0-1 it would become 2-1-3 for a Greenie with the Nexus (or at least 2-0-2 for a greenie without it). That's great for an expansion phase, because a PTS base could be built next to an unimproved fungus field without losing population.
Old December 17, 2001, 21:39   #8
Sikander
King

Local Time: 11:18
Fungus really only comes into it's own as a late game thing. Even then the only reason I would work it is that I may want to plant a base before I can form it's environs. My usual forming schemes are far more productive. For instance let's assume it's late in the game and you are pulling in the full 3-4-5 from fungus squares. Compare that to 6 nuts from any land square with a condensor / farm / soil enricher. The Transcendi supported by this square produce large amounts of energy, and with satellites each square is supporting larger numbers of Transcendi and also producing tons of minerals and energy. 3-4-5 is good production, but it only really matches the production of a borehole (12 FOP) and comes much later in the game.
Old December 17, 2001, 22:07   #9
Control
Settler

Get reed of those fungus!
use borehols, Condensers, Elchon mirrors solar collectors and forests instead. give each base 2-3 borehols(use supply crawlers if youre out of room or your city is water based). place the Condensers and the Elchon mirrors between youre bases (only if they close,this will help you to maximize their usage), also try to build Elchon mirrors near mountains. for places of low altitude and low fertilely(those lands which unaffected by condensers, and bad for farms and solar collectors) use forests.