Old December 10, 2001, 22:33   #1
killer84
Settler

Local Time: 11:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Couple of quick questions
I have a couple questions about the game:

1. What exactly is War time? You can set it to normal or war time motivation (something like that). What benefit does war have over normalcy?

2. Is there any way to edit the units, while still playing random maps? ie: i want everything that has a gun to have an attack and defense of 10 higher. Can i make this change, and still play a regular "NEW GAME"? (I really hate it when a spearman kills an infantry)

3. do precision strikes work for you guys? I can only strike against my own cities, not against enemies. Which makes it kinda counterproductive, although it does work like a charm.

4. is there any way to stop cities from producing warriors in the 1950's?

Thanks in advance, sorry if any (or all) of my questions have been discussed before.
Old December 10, 2001, 22:41   #2
wapamingo
Settler

Local Time: 18:18
1. War TIme = you can only build war related stuff (units/buildings).
Advantage = build war items faster
Disadvantage = cannot build other types of items

2. Not sure, haven't played with the editor. I am sure some of the Editor Buffs can answer this question better.

3. I heard this is still a problem even with the patch. Personally I dont use precision strikes, I just bombard to hell.

4. Warriors are made obsolete by Swordsmen, sworsmen are not made obsolete by any unit. But swordsmen require Iron to build. If a city has no Iron, then You cannot build swordsmen.
Old December 10, 2001, 22:48   #3
killer84
Settler

thanks so far. I think i phrased the last question wrong though, is there any way to stop producing obsolete units? For instance, a samurai (attack and defense of 4), but i want infantry (better IMO). The cities simply produce samurais rather than the better unit. is there a way to stop them from producing certain units??

Last edited by killer84; December 10, 2001 at 23:34.
Old December 10, 2001, 23:50   #4
killer84
Settler

anybody???
Old December 11, 2001, 22:22   #5
BigNick
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by killer84
thanks so far. I think i phrased the last question wrong though, is there any way to stop producing obsolete units? For instance, a samurai (attack and defense of 4), but i want infantry (better IMO). The cities simply produce samurais rather than the better unit. is there a way to stop them from producing certain units??
Anybody, huh? I guess that means me.

I think there are two reasons for this, but I'm not sure which one you need.

Is your governor turned on? Governors tend to have unrealistic weighting toward building unnecessarily large quantities of cheap, obsolete units. Turn your governors off. (Firaxis, is there any chance of having an animation added to the next patch of a governor being lined up against a wall and shot, along with the 14 bloody warrior units he cranked out for me during the 20th century of my first game? Thanks.)

If it's not on, the likelihood is that your city is either missing a strategic resource, or that it's not hooked into your trading road network. Last game I was obliged to produce obsolete riflemen in my cities instead of infantry because my cities weren't all hooked together. I think infantry needs rubber, but I can't remember exactly off the top of my head. If that's the case, get your infantry hooked into the network along with the resource you need and you should be fine.

And yes, changing the rules in the editor should let you play with new rules and generated maps.

Hope this helps.
Old December 11, 2001, 22:29   #6
Kolyana
Warlord

Local Time: 12:18
Quote:
4. Warriors are made obsolete by Swordsmen, sworsmen are not made obsolete by any unit. But swordsmen require Iron to build. If a city has no Iron, then You cannot build swordsmen.
There will always be obsolete units in your city lists ... flaw number 324 of Civ3

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.
Old December 11, 2001, 23:56   #7
Redstar
Warlord

Local Time: 18:18
precision kinda works with patch
at least i can target enemy cities.
But is does not allow you to target any kind of improvements.
So its hardly precise.

And if its precise in that it only targets improvements...then i would rather go afte the defending units.