Old December 11, 2001, 02:47   #1
kailhun
Warlord

Local Time: 18:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I hate civ III or not?
This post is not intended to start a thread, but just to give my opinion of civ III up till now. I've played and given up on two regent games, won one chieftain and a game on warlord failed to end (gave up on that one).

The most telling thing about civ III is perhaps that I keep returning to it. I find it hard to start a new civ after ending the last one. Getting into a new game is hard on some level (I had the same in Pharaoh/Cleopatra after finishing a city). Yet I return.
All in all, I like it. I like the graphics, the units, the music, the colours, the emphasis on culture (especially cities defecting to me), the improved diplomacy, the settler/worker division, the wealth-option, the resources. I enjoy playing the game. For the most part.
I hate the new corruption (once I figure out how, this is the first thing to go: more buildings will have a reduce corruption factor; i haven't really tried as I was waiting for what the patch would do), the fact that wonders can't be rushed, the fact that the save/reload cheat doesn't work anymore.
I dislike the fact that automated workers can't be trusted and that you can't find them once you've automated one. I used automation in one game and spend the next x turns tracking down automated workers and repairing their damage. Little b******s flicking across the screen like gremlins.
And I dislike the new combat system. Doesn't favour the player enough . On an even footing I'd say I lose.

That's about it. Hm, thought this list would be longer.

[edit:] Thought of another one: why are cities more or less empty when they defect or you conquer one? This makes little sense to me. Can this be changed in the editor?

Now back to work and tonight: the game!

mvg,

Robert