Old June 8, 2000, 17:38   #1
N_A
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:22
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Automated Civilian/Customizable Government/Education/Nation Goals
Civilians are way too slavish in the past games, they don't migrate, they don't do anything unless you tell them too. In Civ3, I think that they should pursue their freewill, as far as your government's law will permit them too. They take the job you tell them too. Sort of unrealistic.

What I propose is that there be a system that allows civialians to have free will. This will be integrated with a customizable government system rather than simply choosing from a list. There should be a list like Democracy, Republic, etc., but you should be able to create your own modified form, or completely new government. These can probably be done by a series of options that can be selected, or de-selected by the player. Once the laws are set this way, on to the civilians.

Civilians don't necessarily do what you tell them to do, unless you coerce them to by force. To get civilians to do what you want, you need to either appeal to their loyalty, emotions, rationale, or give incentives. All of these qualities depend on the type of education you give them. So, education ciriculum should be something you get to set down for the population too. Of course, changes take time, but it will help guide your nation. Setting national goals will help guide the nation as well. You should be able to turn off national goals to allow civilians to pursue their own interest.

Depending on how you have raised your people, taught them, brainwashed them, using national goals would effect their jobs, efficiency, and happiness.

Furthermore, civilians should be able to act on their own within your laws. They should be able migrate to different cities where they feel opportunity awaits or where they want to live. So... that means there will have to be several kinds of settlements. From cities, to farm communities, to uptopias to armed separatists !

I strongly feel that cities need to be separate from farm communities. Or cities need to grow out of farm communities or commercial communities.

Merchants should be able to control their own trade on shipping lines according to your laws and international trade aggreements.

It would be nice to see if all this could happen graphically. So you can see trucks moving on roads between cities, ships moving between nations, cargo planes moving tourists and goods for trade. Keep in mind, accidents do happen, so expect plane crashes and people to die, oil spills and environmental problems.

What twists does this offer as well ? Well, since it is civilization, we have to accept that these things can be exploited. You're probably wondering how new cities would be formed. Well, the government should designate a cite, give incentives for people to move their and develop a new community, either that or force an exodus. Other shrewd individuals might decide to commandeer shipping vehicles and use them for covert operations and spying. Dangerous strategists can apply sabotage to moving civilians to either weaken a nation, apply terrorism, or frame other nations.
Old June 8, 2000, 18:11   #2
N_A
Chieftain

More things that should be added to the above:

Government vs. Private employment

This would be important if you're facing a serious depression or recession. Thats assuming those economic situations will exist in Civ 3, but at any rate, you can use government employment to internalize research projects for the military and to build infrastructure.

Civilians should be able to form their own cooporations and organizations within your nation. The goals of each will depend on what problems exist inside your nation, and what kind of mentality the people have been raised with.

Research done by civilian orgnizations or coorporations should be chosen autmatically and readily avaliable to public. That way, depending on how motivated and how economically developed your nation is, the people can research multiple civilian technologies at once.

To make it clear, research should be split into classified government/military research, and civilian technology. Government research can be contracted to certain coorporations, but cooporations and organizations will pursue their own research if otherwise. Government research can be done by government branches and government employed scientists.

Civilian research can be used to build government research more quickly, and government research should be readily downgraded for civilian use.
Old June 9, 2000, 05:04   #3
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You guys have some very interesting and detailed stuff - but I think that sort of detail would probably make the game too complex.

I suspect that although the game won't be released for a long time, it's probably too far in to make changes like this.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old June 9, 2000, 07:11   #4
Psion
Settler

Local Time: 00:22
I imagine Civilization 3 to have population handled like SimCity. There are numbers of "sims" living in your city, that you really have little control over their lives, yet you can urge them to do certain things. For example, you can increase taxes on high polluting industry to keep pollution down. If civilization 3 uses a similar model, I can imagine that groups (corporations, religions, etc) can easily be handled easily, with a varying percentage of each city belonging to each group. Then simple AI can guide the groups into working together, for you, or agianst you. This would certainly make the game much more realistic, but more importantly, much more fun, IMO. And since this is based on SimCity, I imagine that it is simple enough to implement.
Old June 9, 2000, 16:38   #5
Spekter@Home

Yeah, but in SimCity, you only control one city. How many do you have in a good game of Civ? For me, it's 50-200 depending on map size. Simple isn't always scalable.

Old June 9, 2000, 22:31   #6
N_A
Chieftain

Well, its not too bad... you will probably have governors to help you out like with micromanagement and problems. All you have to do is set some national policies.
Old June 10, 2000, 05:43   #7
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:22
I personally don't want a Civ3 where I have to have governors because of the micromanagement. For me, part of the satifaction of civ is doing everything myself.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old June 10, 2000, 14:43   #8
N_A
Chieftain

Even then, the governor is still an option that can be controlled.