Old December 11, 2001, 07:01   #1
HulluKarhu
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Vel are you going to update your Strategies post patch.
First I would like to say that I used them to play pre patch and survived. Without them I was dead in BC everytime.
The rating I would give for the Prima guide would be as follows:
"It is too shiney to use as toilet paper and is therefore less usefull.!"
I think you could get away with an unofficial guide if you did not call it "Civ3" stategy guide....daah ..thinking thinking..what could you call it so it did not use this "protected name" yet enable everyone to know what it was??
" King Sid M The 3rd's secrets revealed!"
Any other ideas?

Old December 11, 2001, 07:41   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 13:19
A solution that I offered him was to write a book that is a critique of the official guide. No one could stop that, and with the right format, he would have the perfect opportunity to offer up his own strategy guidelines. Something along these lines:

-----

Expansionism

Prima's guide states blah-blah. While technically accurate, this information can be misleading. For example, Prima doesn't mention these key factors about expansionist tribes:
  • Point one
  • Point two
  • Point three
You can clearly see, therefore, that expansionism is less effective on tiny maps than on larger ones. Prima's guide ignores this fact.
Old December 11, 2001, 10:42   #3
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 18:19
Yep....we've been talking over in the strat thread about the changes made by the patch, and the implications on the most popular strats we've been discussing. Most notably, post-patch is VERY early conquest (0 Culture = razing, which leads to "chasing the AI Capitol"), IFE (put on the endangered species list as a closed out exploit), Palace Bounce (Dramatically more expensive)....also brought a number of totally new ideas to the table. The "Vassal-State Strategy" led to my "Client-State" variant, an alternative to classic REX strategy led to the development of "Oscillating Wars," and a few other goodies.

As to the guide itself.....after reading in the other thread I started, asking questions about Hurricane's little run-in with Prima, I'm feeling more and more comfortable about finishing my own guide and putting it out to compete with theirs. I like the notion of critiquing their guide, and I'll do it that way if it ultimately comes out that I cannot publish my own thoughts/views any other way....but sooner or later (when I'm satisfied that my own work has been beaten into proper shape, and polished by continual discussion here), Prima will have competition.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.