Old December 11, 2001, 08:42   #1
Easy Rhino
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
massive nuclear holocaust?
just curious, has anyone every gone for a super-massive nuclear strike?

I guess I would consider that as the use of 10 or more warheads in a single turn.

Does it, uh, work?

ER
Old December 11, 2001, 08:52   #2
hwinkels
Settler

Local Time: 13:19
I stayed up one night until 4 am just building a stockpile of ICBMs. Only Egypt was left on the map along with my Germany. When I decided I had enough, I launched about 20 on one turn. Nice shaking effect! Each one causes massive pollution at its target and kills about half the citizens. Some cities took more than one in order to knock down the population to the point where my offshore invasion force could move in and mop up. I think it only worked to my advantage because Egypt didn't have any nukes of its own.

IMO it wasn't worth it, although Cleopatra was more than ready to give in to my peace terms on the following turn. They're not powerful enough esp. against cities with sizes 20 or more.

In another game with 7 other civs, I launched a couple as a test and immediately on the next turn I got blasted with about 8 on my own cities. Restore time. An interesting experiment, though.
Old December 11, 2001, 08:58   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The biggest barrage ive done was 7 ICBMs and a tactical against the French. The only reason i had those was as a deterant for their nukes.

Nukes arent that bad if you've got excess production just going to wealth, but otherwise its just not worth it. Also, if you want to capture the enemy towns, its best not to use nukes, as they will make most of the country-side polluted and evil

I have found a nice use for nukes though. If you and a neighbouring civ are roughly equal, but you have the SDI wonder, a nuke barrage will definately knock the other side out of any chance for victory.
Old December 11, 2001, 11:10   #4
Fromage
Warlord

Local Time: 18:19
I have never used more than 1-2 nukes / turn. It's pretty effective when I launched 1-2 ICBMs /turn for 10 years.

The pollution effect is nice enough. 10 nukes = 80 polluted tiles in one turn. It will take awhile before enemy can get his production back. The enemy won't send much troops to front line when their land has turned to polluted wasteland
Old December 11, 2001, 12:24   #5
hwinkels
Settler

Local Time: 13:19
One other thing - they are useless against ships. I wanted to take out a stack of about 8 battleships but ICBMs have no effect on shipping. Bummer. I know artillery and bombardment won't sink ships, but it would be nice to knock them all down to 1 hit point with one shot.