Old December 11, 2001, 14:06   #1
Mike_W
Settler

Local Time: 13:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What does "We love the King Day" do?
Does anyone know what the exact effects are in terms of corruption, production, commerce, etc.
Old December 11, 2001, 14:27   #2
Gamer at heart
Settler

Hello there, fellow Québécois! I'm not sure what exactly WLTKD does, i've yet to measure any significant changes. I remember that Soren said the effect was quite minor, but it does help prevent cultural defection. Other than that, well, I have no clue

GaH
Old December 11, 2001, 15:02   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 14:20
Under republic/democracy: It seems to cut corruption/waste by a bit, but in my experience the only time it's made a real impact was in cities that were producing 1shield/1commerce, which sometimes went up to 2 shields during WLTKD. That cut production times in half. For cities closer to the core, I doubt it has much of an effect (a shield or commerce here or there) as I've never really noticed it. It does help prevent cultural defection, as GAH said.

I don't know the effects under Communism, since I've never actually gone communist. I don't remember if I've had WLTKD under despotism. In other words, I don't know much.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 11, 2001, 16:00   #4
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 18:20
The most noticeable effect are little puffs of smoke appearing next to celebrating cities.
Old December 11, 2001, 17:31   #5
Bilo
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by solo
The most noticeable effect are little puffs of smoke appearing next to celebrating cities.
Actually, puffs of smoke are for civil unrest, there are fireworks when there is a WLTKD.
Old December 11, 2001, 22:00   #6
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I stand corrected, but still must insist that the fireworks give off puffs of something that looks like smoke. There's nothing "puffy" I can see about a burning city that is in revolt.
Old December 11, 2001, 23:00   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 11:20
WLTKD can dramatically increase production in a remote, 1-shield production city. I have seen it go to 5 shields. This is post patch. Makes a bleepin amount of difference if you're building that Forbidden Palace!

Remember, you cannot have a WLTKD until your city reaches 6 population.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 11, 2001, 23:06   #8
dissent
Chieftain

Soren said that WLKD would eliminate wasted production in cities far from the Capital, but it would suffer all other Corruption effects. I was baffled when I read that, because that was definitely not the case. After building all Happiness wonders, having a bunch of resources, and rush building a couple happiness city improvements, you can be assured that most of your cities will hit WLKD, but there was never any change in Shields. This does appear to be fixed in the patch, but not to the same level that Soren originally stated (if I remember correctly).
Old December 12, 2001, 07:06   #9
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 19:20
In order to test that, you'd have to build only one city after your capital, and found it as far away as possible. Check the corruption under that particular type of government and get it into WLTKD.

If all distance effects are eliminated, the remaining corruption is due to other causes.

In case of the last poster: how do you know the 1-shield situation in your cities wasn't s due to having *too many* cities (as opposed to them being far away)? It might be that that single factor nullifies all production already.
Old December 12, 2001, 15:10   #10
DaBear
Settler

Local Time: 12:20
WLTKD Increases Production Lost To Corruption From the Minimum 1 shield to 25% of production. This is prepatch because I'm still doing a tournament game. This is really important for a FP the hard way as Jaybe stated.
Old December 13, 2001, 00:06   #11
dissent
Chieftain

Quote:
In case of the last poster: how do you know the 1-shield situation in your cities wasn't s due to having *too many* cities (as opposed to them being far away)? It might be that that single factor nullifies all production already.
I don't think it would matter. Corruption is corruption, regardless of the cause. Also, Soren didn't qualify his statement by saying it was only due to capital distance.

Here are a couple excerpts from the Chat:

SITS: well, it is like a permanent We Love The King Day, which can help your production a lot. Needless to say, however, it is not one of the AI's favorite wonders.
(in reference to Shakespeare's Theater)

the chance of city defections can be lessened by a) troops b) no civil disorder c) we love the king day d) culture and e) distance to respective capitals. e) is especially important.

CyberGnu: to help keep your cities from switching sides try... filling the city with cheap combat units... capturing cities which are far from his/her capital and close to yours... rush-building culture in the city.... building culture in your civ... having a WLTKD... squelching resistance

I can't find the where he said keeping cities in WLKD should eliminate corruption production, but I do remember reading it and testing it during my next game, with disappointing results. Maybe someone in Fireaxis is around that can clarify.
Old December 13, 2001, 08:13   #12
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 19:20
Quote:
Originally posted by dissent

I don't think it would matter. Corruption is corruption, regardless of the cause. Also, Soren didn't qualify his statement by saying it was only due to capital distance.
Yes yes - but one cause of corruption *culd* be so severe that it takes all production already. If then an improvement or WLTKD addresses the other cause of corruption, the effect on actual production would be nil.
Old December 13, 2001, 16:37   #13
dissent
Chieftain

This is just frustrating. I don't think we've seen that in real history. Take the Roman Empire for instance. They amassed a large empire (larger than many of my Civ3 games). While there was a significant amount of corruption, in most cases they actually enhanced the cities that became part of the Roman empire with their own advances (aqueducts, laws, roads, etc.). Roman cities, even those far from the capital (think Constantinople), were able to build countless improvements.

Excuse me, I'm just venting. The previous poster who stated it is actually 25% production in WLKD is probably correct. The question now is it worth it to keep cities if you can keep them in WLKD. Probably not. So, if I wish to conquer the world, I'll have to effectively burn down 75% of the known world Nice realism there Fireaxis.