Old May 31, 2002, 07:45   #61
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 13:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Real time actually gets pretty hard at the first time you meet a group of Skeletoids with Dev Cannons. Once you get shields its goes back to easy. In the missions at the end of the game, the aliens spawn every few seconds so it can get really bad really fast in real time.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old May 31, 2002, 14:25   #62
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 18:21
I always use an android or two if they are available in the early game, for a while they are just better at throwing grenades, especially when you have an agent who throws one on top of theirselves and bombs themselves.

I have always played turn-based, but turn-based takes so long, and I have other things going on right now, that I never got to finish a game.
It's a long game, someone said about 250 missions long, and I really get disgusted with the moving dog, or whatever it is, sort of like the terrorists out there now, except its not human!

Wouldn't want to say anymore, if some people find the Collector's Edition like I bought a couple of years ago, now. Might still have it somewhere on the Internet, except it was out about Christmas Time, when they decide to package some older games, but then I have not seen it lately - it had the three main X-COM's in it.

I kill a citizen or two also sometimes, especially when they get in the way.

Going up the elevator is fun, once you figure it out how to move your squad from floor to floor, building to building, crawling, running, walking, except I would have to agree that the aliens looked better in the first game than the blue soldiers in the Apcolypse game.

Never enough money, equipment, or training it seems.
Maybe I will play it to see how many businesses I can irritate, this time.
It's fun to play at night in the dark, with the music going on!

Of course, now, I look up at the sky at night sometimes, just curious!
Old May 31, 2002, 14:46   #63
Raion
Prince

Well, all I find is a couple at eBay here for sale:

Probably original version, may have to start computer in MS-Dos ( I did not look that close at it)

Recent bids page:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...calypse&newu=1
Old May 31, 2002, 14:50   #64
Raion
Prince

Two days left - -ends June 2nd -- I payed 9.99 for all three in the Collector's Edition -- bids now for the used ones are $0.01 and $1.00 -- I bid a little more and well, that up to anyone who wants it...................
Old May 31, 2002, 15:34   #65
Raion
Prince

Look here, except I think one pays shipping and handling charges of $7.50, both UFO: Defense and Apocalypse (original versions, I think) ---- free:

http://www.free-cdsoftware.com/gam.html?client=42434187

Bottom of page!

Free it says, except I think for S&H of $7.50

May have to start computer in MS-Dos for original game, back in 1996-7 when it came out!
Old May 31, 2002, 15:39   #66
Raion
Prince

Main page of Apocalypse:
http://www.free-cdsoftware.com/cgi-h...POCAL&asi=1514

Have to go now!
Old June 1, 2002, 02:14   #67
Raion
Prince

I'll have to take that back. Online manual means the game must be newer like the Collector's Edition I bought. The original game did not have an 'online' manual or computer copy of the instructions of the game, only a book.

One of my agents got brainsucked, one agents keeps hiding against the wall, he will be point man now, if I do not shoot him by telling the Squad Leader to shoot him, dang it.

I think I will buy a couple of tanks and try to knock down the Cult of Sirius building from the outside, but first I should raid it, and torch part of it, then knock it down by the tank;s guns.

I think I will try the first game again, since I just looked at some of the pictures of the review, although I just don't remember it looking that good, unless its on a gameboy or something like that, but I may have to find out.

Both are great to me, except if you want fancy graphics instead of game play, -- to me.

Don't get hurt!
Old June 1, 2002, 22:33   #68
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I never used androids for my main battle squad, as they can't learn. Even though they start out much better than humans do, by that same logic they would be much better at killing and hence steal most experience-giving kills.

I generally have my standard combat soldiers (10 in total) and send either 4 or 6 into each mission, rotating as some are injured. I also buy 10 hybrids as early as I can, put them into psi training and just leave them there until they get powerful. In a pinch they are useful for defending the base.

And that reminds me, I do actually buy androids for base-duty at all my extra bases. No need to train them up.

Last edited by Skanky Burns; June 1, 2002 at 22:42.
Old June 1, 2002, 23:28   #69
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:21
Why would you want to destroy the Cult of Sirus buildings? Leave them alone, as they get to rebuild and restock, so you get to raid it again (and again).
Old June 2, 2002, 15:42   #70
Raion
Prince

I know, but I got disgusted and now a few other companies are mad at me -- I never tried it before - but the alien inflitation is still at 36% - I just having a terrible time with this new game - agent's killed by my stupid mistakes, lost my tank (to knock down the building due to friendly fire). So, I knock them all down - still the Government is stilled allied with me, maybe I will knock down a few other buildings - ran out of missiles though, so I may have to wait for more to arrive.

Keep the city alive, while their friendly with the aliens, I will have to think about it.

I just wanted to be the mad, bad XCOM Commander once!
Old June 2, 2002, 15:50   #71
Raion
Prince

That's because I am still sad that the VGA graphics are garbelled for the first XCOM game - guess I try to figure that out -- need to use my old graphic card maybe - as I wanted to take a look at that game again -- but then -- can't play if the screen is just garbelled and unseeable -- sad!
Old June 2, 2002, 16:22   #72
Raion
Prince

And anyway, the Cult of Sirius wanted compensation for damage the police did, so the 1st level of the building is probably still there (underground level) so, I know where to find them easier, once my agents heal!

The XCOM Commander has gone berserk!

Fight in all the basement levels of the buildings!

Old June 2, 2002, 20:22   #73
Raion
Prince

Back to UFO:Aftermath link also has other links:

Will not be the same game Mythos came out with, something about copyrights, but hey, how can you copyright a possible reality?

http://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/

Keep looking up!
Old June 2, 2002, 22:00   #74
Urban Ranger
Deity

Ah, so it's a open invasion instead of a sneaky infiltration this time.
Old June 3, 2002, 15:27   #75
Raion
Prince

More like a free-for-all.

Well, that XCOM:Apocolypse is still out there, but probably will not work with newer OS's. Saw the Collector's Edition for sell somewhere like a military type simulation computer game store, but could not find it again.

Mo-slo for UFOefense, or another one I ran across to slow down the computer.
I saw a page about what they really wanted to include with XCOM:Apocolypse about spying on corporation leaders and other things that were cut out of it.
Well, if i ever get the game done!

Publisher's own copyrights, I guess.

They wonder about that kind of stuff for the new one, UFO:Aftermath, but then a few changes for the game I can think of -- although they won't have 'panic' in it and some other things -- so.................. bleeping blahs!
Old June 3, 2002, 15:32   #76
Raion
Prince

Oh, I might add that I am at a negative 5200 points in the 3rd day of the game!
Old June 3, 2002, 15:43   #77
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:21
Destroying the city will do that to you!
Old June 3, 2002, 15:56   #78
Raion
Prince

I'll have to try real-time mode, taking too long!
Got more weapons, though!
Old June 3, 2002, 17:08   #79
Raion
Prince

Dang! I loaded up the DOS version of UFOefense (actually Enemy Unknown) and it works fine. Version is 1.04, don't know if I need a patch, have that somewhere.

The Windows version still had a garbelled screen, but this version which must (I guessing) must be the Gold Version.

Works fine, --- fine out if I need a patch.
Have to review the Adobe Acroread manual.

Yeah!

This is going to be fun!

Tell the truth!
Play XCOM or CIVIII -- someday I might finish both now.

That was simple, just ran hdinst.bat from Windows 98SE, set up my old AWE 64 Gold Soundcard (Soundblaster) and off it went.

Works fine!

Allright!
Old June 3, 2002, 17:14   #80
Raion
Prince

Oh, Infogrames ( I always thought it was Infogames) has support for XCOM:Apocalypse although also for UFO Defense ( nothing for that game though) at their URL.

Kinda like CIVIII support!
Duh!

I don't think there was ever a patch for the 3rd game.
Also have 'Terror from the Deep', but rather play the first game.

Bye!
Old June 3, 2002, 17:48   #81
Raion
Prince

Readme.txt from game -- already V1.4

Well onward!

Clunky graphics, perhaps!
Not a FPS -- get real!
Fun to play -- best game ever made!
(except for floors not collapsing, but hey, it was back in 1993-94!)

UFO: ENEMY UNKNOWN V1.4
=======================

The following additions and changes have been made to the game since
the manual was written. We hope these improvements will enhance game
play.

SOUND

1. If you wish to change the sound configuration, after initial
installation, run the setup program in your UFO directory.

MEMORY

Due to the game's size and complexity you may experience difficulties
while playing on a machine with only 2 MB of RAM.

1. If your game fails to load, remove EMM386 from your CONFIG.SYS.
UFO runs in protected mode so it does not require an expanded memory
driver.

2. If you do not get sound effects for certain events from your
Gravis or Soundblaster card, this is due to a lack of available RAM.
This could be caused by superfluous TSR (terminate and stay resident)
programs in your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files. Remove these TSR
programs and all sound will play correctly.

((Don't use EMM386 with Windows 98SE - don't know about newer OS's and how the game will work)!

Old, yes, fun, definitely!

Old June 3, 2002, 22:27   #82
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I still get nightmares from XCOM UFO Defense...... Damn Sectoids scared the freak out of me, especially when running into them in all the little barns, and opening the doors of the UFOs.

In this regard Apocalypse was better, none of its aliens was sufficiently frightening, thus I could keep my eye on the tactical situation better (improved troop survivability is good also, UFO defense troops seemed so... expendable.
Old June 4, 2002, 00:22   #83
Urban Ranger
Deity

Strange. I had an easier time with Enemy Unknown than Apocalypse initially. It's those exploding worm things that killed my troopers.
Old June 4, 2002, 02:20   #84
Raion
Prince

Yeah! I hate those hyperworms or all the rest of them.

The good thing about Apocalyse is it runs the same speed on a fast or a slow computer.

I have an old computer that will slow down UFO-Defense or else I try a slow down program like MloSlo.exe which I just downloaded.
But that game is a little hyper in the Geoscape screen, so it running fast, but then my old computer which needed a power supply would run both those games good!

Some other slowdown program may be listed for it at that link above for UFO-Aftermath, I will have to see what they suggest.

Windows version garbelled screen, now the Dos version works ( I guess its the Gold Version) which would not run that good with Windows 95 because that OS needed emm386.exe for it which the game does not use. Microsoft still owes me for Windows 98FE, that thing, but for homework coming up soon, I may need Windows 2000 at least, so that is what I bought - professional version which I still will use FAT16 with unless I put these older games (a few) I still want to play or keep on my old computer, which be great if it lasts!

A second is a second in XCOM: Apocalyse, but then one has to speed up the game to get through it, although my 'running' squad did not run to fast -- works fine, so it works with both older and newer computers. VESA 2.0 drivers for MS-DOS have been in video cards (all the ones I ever had) for about the last 8 years with nothing else additional needed (drivers that is for the video card)!
So that game works better now than it ever did with my newer computer than my older computers.
But................homework rules yet coming up!

I think I played CivII for that reason, I will get to CIVIII someday later, MOOIII coming out, too bad XCOM got cancelled, but then maybe this UFO-Aftermath will not be too bad, and have to see then!
Old June 4, 2002, 06:19   #85
Raion
Prince

Okay, may have found out some useful info on running the old game.

CPU Killer 2.0 is a slowdown program for the faster computers nowadays but runs in Windows. Link:
http://digilander.iol.it/robyrobo/Products/index.html

Has a cost to register, demo runs only for 20 minutes to try it out, but a person with Windows XP claims to be using it for UFO: Defense to slow it down.

The Collector's Edition with the garbeled screen can be fixed (I have not tried it yet) by taking off DirectDraw with DXDiag.exe program, and maybe taking off the acceleration off the graphic card in the Performance setting of Windows.

Probably will run fast but the program up above can be used for other games also to make them run right, all the info is at the link.

I will try it, for UFO: Defense to see if that fixes the screen problem with the Windows (sorta) version included with the Collector's Edition.

Had no problem with XCOM:Apocalyse my self yet, but fixes are also mentioned at that sister link for the new Aftermath game up above mentioned link that has a link for XCOM and that forum on the message board forum section.

http://64.46.109.220/forums/ikonboar...fc8cfe6a1cffff;act=ST;f=7;t=691

If I went to the link right while making out this reply!
It's late, so play away if it all works!
Old June 4, 2002, 06:22   #86
Raion
Prince

Some nice links for people who have all aspects of the XCOM games still going also!
Look around!
Old June 4, 2002, 06:43   #87
Raion
Prince

Turning off DirectDraw and downing acceleration of the graphics card (and not installing DX6.1 because I am already using DX8.0a)
made XCOM: Enemy Unknown (UFO Defense) of the Collector's Edition all work.

Now to kill the CPU with CPU Killer 2.0 version program (register for $15.00) to play all those old games (works in Windows) that you know you still wanted to play ---- someday!

At the link in previous post for demo download that works for 20 minutes at a time, and all the XCOM games (and if there were any other games you may want to play -- I think even programs to keep settings for separately and individually to store and play at a reduced speed) for even Windows XP whoever wants to use that OS type of 'keep those ol' games rolling, rolling, rolling, keep them playin', playin', keep those old games playing -- Yahoo!

Okay, its late!

This means even the gold version may be slowed down but that is in MS-DOS, although starts from Windows, but somewhere there is a slowdown program for that probably somewhere also!
Like MoSlo.exe or something else!

Well, get all versions working!

Its late!
Later!

Old June 5, 2002, 14:25   #88
Raion
Prince

Using more Hybrids this game, getting killed too much, have to start thinking!

Those aliens are tough!
The music haunting!
Old June 5, 2002, 22:49   #89
Urban Ranger
Deity

Don't bring out the hybrids early as you don't need them. Practice your people with cult raids. Maybe stunning the worms is a good idea after all
Old June 5, 2002, 22:53   #90
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I find Hybrids great for cult raids. Just have them mind control a member and then detonate some grenades.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd