Old December 11, 2001, 21:17   #1
LotC
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 11:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Maps seem just perfect sometimes
Is it just me or do the randomly generated maps sometimes seem to be generated for long term strategy, as opposed to Civ2 maps that seemed to just be a jumble of random terrain? I know that Firaxis changed the map generation to make more sense from a geographical perspective (especially with regards to continuous terrain) but did they intend for the maps to be so strategic? Here's a few screens from a current map:

As you can see, the Americans and French seem to be there for me to annihilate early game and the Persians are surrounded by mountains. A chokepoint between the Persians and the rest of the continent certainly holds the key to long term domination. The gulf in the south, if held with naval power, will enable troop landings on the other half of the continent while fortification of the chokepoint and mountains will prevent land incursions.

All in all, a perfect strategy map. This type of thing reminds me of playing Black Forest maps in AoK.

So my question (Firaxian replies welcomed ) is: did Firaxis intend grand strategy maps like this? If so, good job! One of my frustrations with Civ2 was that I always seemed to be settling the map with no overall goal in mind.

As well, I have an idea or two for a strategic map in the vein of a Mediterranean style AoK map with a centre island (OK, so I play RTS games, flame away ). I know many here like real earth maps but would anyone be interested in something like this?
Old December 11, 2001, 21:39   #2
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 13:21
Well I like the map generator due to its realism.

Deserts exist 30 degrees above/below equator, jungle in the middle. Mountains have an effect on the moisture of surrounding terrains, its all very cool.

I wonder if there is also a plate-tectonic model underlying the formation of continents. That would be interesting to know.

I think the strategic features this offers are really cool since you have big spanning tropical forests that can restrict expansion, long chains of mountains, deserts etc of the size you might see on earth.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old December 11, 2001, 21:49   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:21
I love it so much more than civ2. In fact I truelly despised the map generator in civ2. The absence of a decent earth map with starting positions was partially made up for by the map generator. I still would like starting positions though. But having good maps generated has kept my interest in civ3 going. Everyone complains about jungle. But you can't expect to get all grassland and plains!!. I started a game in desert and flood plains and won that game. It was a struggle at first, but I pulled through. Luckily flood plains provided good food and I had hills nearby for production.
Old December 12, 2001, 00:37   #4
justjake73
Prince

If I start in a flood plain and there's no better terrain within 2 squares I start a new map. Before Sanitation, FP's can kill your people through disease. Same with jungles. I view both as inhospitable to either travel (exc when necessary, and then I try to leave ASAP) and I do NOT colonize them before San!
Old December 12, 2001, 00:43   #5
justjake73
Prince

The map is very realistic when it comes to mountains in the fact that there are large "backbones" in continents (continental divide). They also seem to have a mountain or hill at the beginning of all rivers (i.e. they flow downhill!)
Old December 12, 2001, 02:50   #6
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

Local Time: 14:21
I think the random map generator is one of the best improvements of Civ3 over Civ2. I wonder if there is a way to convert Civ3 maps to Civ2 format. I'd like to play Civ2 with the Civ3 maps.
Old December 12, 2001, 06:41   #7
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 19:21
Quote:
Originally posted by justjake73
If I start in a flood plain and there's no better terrain within 2 squares I start a new map. Before Sanitation, FP's can kill your people through disease. Same with jungles. I view both as inhospitable to either travel (exc when necessary, and then I try to leave ASAP) and I do NOT colonize them before San!
Mh, that is shortsighted...

Floodplains also offer an abundance of food, easily compensating for the occasional disease. In fact, I personally like flood plains a lot.
Old December 12, 2001, 07:47   #8
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 20:21
Quote:
They also seem to have a mountain or hill at the beginning of all rivers (i.e. they flow downhill!)
Remind me somehow of SMAC.
The rivers there showed also realistiv behavior
Old December 12, 2001, 17:33   #9
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 14:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras

I wonder if there is also a plate-tectonic model underlying the formation of continents. That would be interesting to know.
I believe the answer is yes. Look at adjacent continents in a random generated map. They look to fit like a puzzle if you moved them around. Very similar to earth's geography where all continents broke from Pangea. Civ3's continents have the same characteristic.