Old December 12, 2001, 16:42   #1
gnome
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 13:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"wealth" bug?
I can't tell if this happened as a result of the patch, so I wanted to throw it out here and see if anyone else is running into it before I put it on that thread--

In my current game I was running low on funds, so I switched my most productive city to "wealth"... but this did not result in any increase in my income.

Has anyone else encoutered this?
Old December 12, 2001, 18:09   #2
Erlend Overland
Settler

Local Time: 18:23
I have not experienced this (not checked specially tough).

I have however found that after applying the patch it's nearly impossible to make a profit without increasing the tax rate to at least 60-70%.

Before the patch I had no problems using the setting 50/50/0 (or even 60/40/0) for tax/science/luxuries for several years, making quite a bit of money and still a have reasonable science rate.

After the patch I need to go to 70/30/0 or even 80/20/0 to even manage to break even, and naturally it's nearly impossible to keep up scientifically with the CP.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old December 12, 2001, 19:24   #3
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 04:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I have found that I make less money than what I did before the patch. I haven't needed to change the rates (because I was making so much already) but the gold per turn has decreased and the science discovery rate has been lengthened. I wonder what they changed to cause this.
Old December 12, 2001, 19:32   #4
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 18:23
Re: "wealth" bug?
Quote:
Originally posted by gnome
I can't tell if this happened as a result of the patch, so I wanted to throw it out here and see if anyone else is running into it before I put it on that thread--

In my current game I was running low on funds, so I switched my most productive city to "wealth"... but this did not result in any increase in my income.

Has anyone else encoutered this?
Probably a silly question, but is the city producing more than 8 shields (pre-economics, 4 after)? The rate of conversion is 8 shields (pre-economics, 4 after) -> 1 gold, so if you're below that limit you probably won't get anything.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old December 14, 2001, 21:05   #5
gnome
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 13:23
Re: "wealth" bug?
Quote:
Originally posted by Chowlett

Probably a silly question, but is the city producing more than 8 shields (pre-economics, 4 after)? The rate of conversion is 8 shields (pre-economics, 4 after) -> 1 gold, so if you're below that limit you probably won't get anything.
It was definitely higher than 8 shields. More like 16.

And I have noticed a problem making money under the new patch... and personally I think the game was cash-poor in the first place. I have never been able to afford the espionage options, and for all of my current game I have been running at 20-30% science just to be able to have +1, +2 gold each turn...

Does anyone know what's going on?
Old December 14, 2001, 21:15   #6
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 10:23
wealth works fine for me. If your city only produced 16 shields, that would only be 2 extra gold per turn (pre-economics) or 4 per turn (post-economic). Not that easy to notice..
Old December 15, 2001, 06:29   #7
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 20:23
If I tuern a cities Production to Wealth I usually get something like 3-10 Gold from them (which is no Problem, cause I earn a lot of Money from Trades with other Civs and Cities with Gold in their vicinity.
Old December 15, 2001, 07:14   #8
Xentropy
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Local Time: 10:23
Quote:
Originally posted by dnassman
I have found that I make less money than what I did before the patch. I haven't needed to change the rates (because I was making so much already) but the gold per turn has decreased and the science discovery rate has been lengthened. I wonder what they changed to cause this.
Not sure why the gold per turn would decrease, but quite a few technologies were increased in cost with the patch, and maps larger than standard size have an even larger modifier, meaning slower teching in general on large and huge maps. I guess there were too many people getting Future Tech 47 so Firaxis changed some things :>