Old December 12, 2001, 19:40   #1
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 13:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hoover Dam glitch?
I was able to build the Hoover Dam in a city with no river in its city radius.

Also, thinking back, I had most of my cities on 'Wealth', and there was little change in my income when it was built (I forgot to check for shield increase, otherwise).

Has anyone noticed anything funny with the Hoover Dam?
(Note - all with patch)
Old December 12, 2001, 20:19   #2
Libertarian
King

The no-river hasn't happened to me (yet), but your shields won't increase without a factory. Plants just augment factories.

I think.
Old December 13, 2001, 10:25   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
In my current game, the Hoover Dam needed water, not sure if it counted the ocean as a good source though. Other cities inland didnt have the option of building it.
Old December 13, 2001, 11:49   #4
Slax
Prince

Hmmm. I was on the ocean. Maybe it allowed that. And most cities had factories.
Old December 13, 2001, 12:08   #5
Thrawn05
King

I found also that the Hoover Dam can work in a city with no rivers and a coast, however it dosen't work with a city next to a lake. It is kinda strange daming an ocean.
Old December 14, 2001, 08:22   #6
Disgracian
Settler

Local Time: 04:24
The Hoover Dam places a Hydro Plant in every city, regardless of whether it is near a river (or even if it has a factory, I've found). Since this wonder puts Hydro Plants in cities that could not normally build them (cities without access to rivers), do those Hydro Plants actually function or do they need to be replaced with another type of power plant?
Old December 14, 2001, 09:29   #7
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Disgracian
The Hoover Dam places a Hydro Plant in every city, regardless of whether it is near a river (or even if it has a factory, I've found). Since this wonder puts Hydro Plants in cities that could not normally build them (cities without access to rivers), do those Hydro Plants actually function or do they need to be replaced with another type of power plant?
I think you got a bug there. I never seen that. When I get the Hoover Dam, only the cities next to coast lines and rivers automaticly get it, no the ones without any river or ocean within their area.
Old December 14, 2001, 10:24   #8
JayKay
Warlord

Local Time: 18:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Disgracian
Hoover Dam gives a Hydro Plant to EVERY city (with or without a river), and those hydro plants, in cities where they couldn't be build, do work!

NOTE: This was proved to be true in pre-patch games! (i haven't tried in pos-patch games)

Portugal
Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)
Old December 14, 2001, 11:36   #9
Boracks
Warlord

Local Time: 14:24

This actually makes sense as building the Hoover dam gives you the effect of having a hydro plant without having to build one in each city. In essence, the Hoover Dam is a wonder because it can provide electrical power to every city on the continent.

So each city gets a hydro plant for effect, whether it could normally build one or not.

Going back to the original question, I do think it should only be able to be built in the same cities as a hydro plant could be built. Slax, I don't suppose you checked to see if that held for the case you mentioned?
Old December 14, 2001, 13:27   #10
Slax
Prince

I'd like to lift my suit against the defendant
Well, I went back and took a real long look at the situation, and my conclusion is...

All is working normally!

I never had a problem with hydro plants, I only thought the program allowed me to build the Hoover Dam in a city with no river. It did not, I guess. The city in question had a river which touched one corner of my city radius - only at the corner of the tile. It looks like:

<><

where the tile is on the left and the river is the 'less than' sign on the far right. The river never shows up in the city stats view (it is drawn as cutting across the outside tile).Sorry for the inconvience.

Slax
Old December 14, 2001, 13:56   #11
TrainWreck20
Warlord

Local Time: 18:24
Kind of on the same topic, I still have the option of building other power plants in the cities on the same continent as the Hoover Dam. Do these still cost $$? And do they cause pollution or server any function other than as a backup in case you lose the HD wonder?

Also, both solar and hydro plants say they replace any other plant in the city. Which replaces which? Or does it matter, I guess?
Old December 15, 2001, 11:31   #12
Disgracian
Settler

Local Time: 04:24
Trainwreck - My understanding of the powerplant system is this:

You can only have one kind of powerplant in any one city, be it a Coal Plant, Hydro Plant, Solar Plant or Nuclear Plant. So if a city with a Coal Plant builds, for example, a Solar Plant, then the Coal Plant is replaced with the Solar Plant.

Considering that the Solar Plant and Hydro Plant both have the same effect (50% production increase and no pollution), Solar Plants are only useful in cities without access to a river. Since you have built the Hoover Dam wonder, there's no reason to build a Solar Plant, even though it appears on the build list. You might, on the other hand, want to replace your Hydro Plant with a Nuclear Plant. The Nuclear Plant increases Factory output by 150%, compared to the Hydro Plant's 50%. But Nuclear Factories can suffer meltdowns, which are devastating.

Last edited by Disgracian; December 15, 2001 at 11:40.