Old December 12, 2001, 21:07   #1
calvinthebold
Settler

Local Time: 18:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ Leader Moods
Does anyone know exactly what the effects are of the various rival leader moods (cautious, polite, etc.)? Can we add more moods to the game? I'd at least like to see Haughty or Obsequious added. Even when the rival civ leaders are polite, it is often hard to tell what their attitude is toward me since the folk at Firaxis made their standard lines so condescending.

Speaking of Obsequiousness, it should certainly be possible to whip or frighten a rival civ so badly that they fall all over themselves to appease me. As it is, civs that have been beaten (literally) back into the stone age often talk as though they're the ones who have beaten me.

-CalvinTheBold
Old December 12, 2001, 21:29   #2
Terser
Warlord

Local Time: 12:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yep.

Personally, I'd like to see something more along the lines of this:

Friendly
Warm
Polite
Indifferent
Suspicious
Hostile
Enraged

I assume CivIII handles Leader moods in much the same way that CivII did. That is, when you commit transgressions against other civs you are given "black marks" that accumulate (and disappear) over time. More black marks=rival civ's leaders more and more hostile toward you. Thing is, this was more apparent in CivII (as leaders would treat you with obvious disrespect or deference). I think in an effort to add humor, CivIII's designers ended up muddying the diplomatic waters. Mood indicators like those I listed above might help make things clearer...
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis