Old February 6, 2002, 17:51   #31
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 14:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I do pretty much what Ironikinit does with factories, except I rarely rush them. Any city that can build a factory within 20 turns is ordered to do so, unless there is something else crucial that needs doing first. In that case, whatever that is gets rushed, so I can start on the factory. The production jump that you get from the combo of RR's and Factories in your core cities is HUGE. By the time the factories are done, I usually have Scientific Method and am working on Electronics (my earlier post put Rep. Parts in front of Electronics, but I realized that I do it the other way around). Also, once I have rep. parts, I usually pump out some infantry. Sometimes it's extra, sometimes it's actually needed to replace Cavalry I've got scattered around defending cities I've taken by conquest during the Middle Ages. Prior to Tanks, I have a lot of cities set to "wealth" which helps me keep the science rate up at 70-90%. Once I have motorized transport, I build a ton of tanks and ponder what to do with them

Hospitals... well, I hold off on sanitation as long as I can (usually get it from Theory of Ev.). Then I grumble about pollution and start building hospitals. But after my cities get up around size 15-16, I send in worker teams to change some irrigation to mines so that they max out at size 18-20. I play on Monarch, and with all luxuries + marketplaces + temples/cathedrals/colloseums + Sistine + Bach, 17 citizens stay happy. I often end up running 10% luxuries so that my few size 20's stay in WLTKD (I like happy people).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 8, 2002, 13:20   #32
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 13:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Beelining in the Industrial Age
Quote:
Originally posted by Nakar Gabab
Just a quick question, what do people tend to shoot for first in the Industrial Age? Steam Power for Railroads and Industrialization for Factories? Replaceable Parts for Infantry and 2x worker speed? And is Sanitation's pop-limit-lifting important enough to justify researching it first if no one else has it?

Or do you just click "motorized transportation" and check back when tanks come around?

Well, I goto the science advisor's screen, and click on motorize transportation (aka tank tech). This will get most of what I need in a nice order. Afterwhich I do radio and flight, and by that time I get some of the other techs like sanitation and communism from the other civs.