Old December 13, 2001, 12:36   #1
Deornwulf
Warlord

Local Time: 18:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Goody Huts don't work as manual states
I may have missed reading it in the readme.txt but what are supposed to be the current results of tripping a goody hut? The manual states that a minor tribe will sometimes join your civilization (ala civ2) but I have never seen this happen. As far as the wandering nomads, they only appear once per game and very rarely at that.

What are the hard numbers behind the goody huts? I don't care that it was changed, I just want to know for sure. Has the join result been removed? Is the wandering nomad set to almost never happen and to only happen once?

Thank you for your prompt replies.

Deornwulf - The English Teacher
Old December 13, 2001, 16:22   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:27
I suspect they reduced the odds of finding a settler or finding a village that joins you civilization. They did this to make up for the expansionist trait on civs. The expansionist trait wouldn't be very useful if a regular civ could get the same things on hut trips fairly easily.

Now if you are playing the americnas or English, then you might have a problem.
Old December 13, 2001, 16:26   #3
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 14:27
Re: Goody Huts
I've seen a Settler Pop up, but so far, I've not seen a New City come about.

[Soapbox]
Personally, I really didn't like it too much when you got a City out of a Hut. Most of the time, they weren't in the place that I would have liked them in (usually, one or two tiles from where I wanted one at). Or they were just TOO FAR WAY for me to deal with.
[/Soapbox]

Happy Yule

E_T
Old December 13, 2001, 17:17   #4
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 13:27
Playing England (who are supposed to get good goodie results), I got a settler who joined my tribe from a goodie hut.
Old December 13, 2001, 17:34   #5
opaque
Warlord

I have never seen a new city formed from a goody hut but I agree with E_T, most of the time they are just in crappy locations anyway.
Old December 13, 2001, 18:22   #6
Deornwulf
Warlord

Seeking clarification
I tend to agree with both of you. Most of the time the city ends up being in a lousy place but in Civ2, I would make adjustments to make the city useful.

My main reason for the question is merely to get clarification as to the change from the manual to the game. If it has been changed, the readme.txt does not address it.
Old December 13, 2001, 19:27   #7
Xentropy
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Local Time: 10:27
Yes, you can definitely get a settler. As the Greeks (no expansionist bonus, even!) I got one in 3950 ;> That was great, had my second city built in 3850 (# of moves it took to get out of my starting city's radius and plop down :>)... Kinda made up for starting in jungle...
Old December 13, 2001, 21:17   #8
Pyrodrew
Prince

I also have never received a city from a goody hut. The odds must be 1 in 1000. In Civ2 it was usually a matter of how many I received. Sure it might be somewhat unbalancing, but what isn't compared to starting in a diseased jungle vs. grasslands with shields by a river?

DuoSolution - Why not have Goody Huts appear more often in the crappy terrain start positions... like Jungle & Desert?
Old December 13, 2001, 21:32   #9
justjake73
Prince

As I was starting a new game and sent out Warriors to explore and look for huts. One was in Forest, and I saw this TINY little thing. It looked like part of the Forest image, but I could see it in NO other square. I moved my unit in, and it WAS a goody hut but a TEENY TINY one. prob would have gen 1 Barbarian if it was bad.

I have found a strategy for opening huts. I USED to save, move in, and then reload if I didn't like the results. Does not work anymore - at least not on the same TURN! If you get barbs, reload, advance another turn, save and TRY AGAIN. IT WORKS, BELIEVE me!
Old December 13, 2001, 21:43   #10
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Have had two settlers so far (different games each time!)....pretty cool when it happens, but don't hold your breath!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old December 14, 2001, 07:07   #11
Xentropy
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by justjake73
I have found a strategy for opening huts. I USED to save, move in, and then reload if I didn't like the results. Does not work anymore - at least not on the same TURN! If you get barbs, reload, advance another turn, save and TRY AGAIN. IT WORKS, BELIEVE me!
Yes, this is related to the random number seed saving with the rest of the game data. Same reason battles will go the exact same way if you try the save/reload "cheat". You can still "cheat" in a way, by doing things out of order (if you have a battle to fight, fight the battle, then come back to the goodie hut and it'll be at a different offset in the random number list), or if there's nothing else to be done to "use up" die rolls, advance to the next turn. The AI seems to use a lot of the stack before your next turn arrives.
Old December 14, 2001, 07:14   #12
Be Quicker
Warlord

Local Time: 19:27
Hi,

I think Deornwulf's questions was "do you get cities out of barb huts?" (like stated in the manual an like in Civ II). I have never witnessed this. So one more (very minor) case where the manual is "wrong"...

the settlers from barb huts thing ... I think everybody agrees this happens but not incredibly frequently.
Old December 16, 2001, 03:09   #13
Pyrodrew
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Be Quicker
I think Deornwulf's questions was "do you get cities out of barb huts?" (like stated in the manual an like in Civ II). I have never witnessed this. So one more (very minor) case where the manual is "wrong"...
That disappointing... discovering cities to join your empire had far more appeal than getting a settler. Just getting a settler loses all that nostalgia.
Old December 16, 2001, 03:16   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:27
surely someone has got this

I'm mainly looking for people that play as expansionist civs. Those are the only one's that have a chance to get it I suppose. I bet the odds are like 1 in 100.
Old December 16, 2001, 05:00   #15
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 20:27
IIRC I've got both a city and a settler from huts. But I've played many games, and it might have been two settlers, of which i used one to build a city on the spot.
Old December 16, 2001, 10:31   #16
Kolyana
Warlord

Local Time: 12:27
I've had settlers AND a city ... it's rare, but I've had it.

The calculations and figures can be found in the editor, I'm sure ::innocent expression::

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.
Old December 17, 2001, 14:13   #17
Dadeo
Settler

I have played probably 200 hours in play time and have seen only two settlers and no free cities. Expansionist civs definitely give better results but the benefit does not outweigh the lost attributes of the other traits. I don't play the expansionist civs anymore because I can always get the advances by trading or beating up my neighbours.
Old December 17, 2001, 15:41   #18
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I've gotten nomads, both as expansionist and not. Very rare, though in one expansionist game, I did get two.

For all of you that think expansionist is useless, I predict that MP will be the great revival for expansionists. Getting a handful of early techs while your opponents are getting barbs and empty villages will be a BIG BIG advantage. Especially if the trend of one night MP games continues. There won't be enough time for the other traits to make up the difference of 8 or 9 good huts.

RAH