Old December 13, 2001, 18:09   #1
jgflg
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How to Roll-up a big civ in 1 Turn!
Playing as the Iroquis on a Standard size Continent map I had just converted all my armor to modern type and declared war on my continental neighbors the Chinese. After some heavy fighting to take their first few big cities (20+) I begin following my normal strategy of occupying the hills and mountains surrounding the next group of cities I wanted to attack.

As I'm doing this, I notice that Chairman Mao has built all his remaining cities on the continent spaced three squares apart, about eleven cities total. Which means that if I take one city that only leaves two squares of enemy terrain movement for my modern armor. I roll my armor into the first city, leap frog another set of units into the next city and before you know it, the Chinese are living in Polynesia.

Has anyone else following this strategy? I lucked into it since I had always assumed that the AI would normally try and space core cities at the optimal distance of four squares apart. Who would have that that one square would make such a huge difference. Something to be aware of if they ever make a multi-player version.
Old December 13, 2001, 18:43   #2
pcasey
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:28
Coingratulations, you just figured out how to rush conquer. It works equally well with cavalry in the late middle ages, or any move two unit in the ancient era when cities all have a radius of one.

Now you'll find yourself played every game with a gnawing certainty in the back of your mind that you could do better if you pop rushed a horde of cavalry and conquered everyone, and you'll be right.
Old December 13, 2001, 19:39   #3
jgflg
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:28
Quote:
Originally posted by pcasey
Coingratulations, you just figured out how to rush conquer. It works equally well with cavalry in the late middle ages, or any move two unit in the ancient era when cities all have a radius of one.

Now you'll find yourself played every game with a gnawing certainty in the back of your mind that you could do better if you pop rushed a horde of cavalry and conquered everyone, and you'll be right.
That was the first thought that crossed my mind after I did it with armor. The one advantage later is railroads, which makes it a lot easier to take huge bunches of territory.
Old December 13, 2001, 20:31   #4
pchang
King

Local Time: 18:28
Why wait?
No need to wait for Cavalry. Start as the Aztechs and do it with Jaguar Warriors in 2000BC.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.