Old December 13, 2001, 18:14   #1
Nathan
Settler

Local Time: 12:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
There is a world outside of this forum.
I have been reading these boards for a while, but just recently got signed up because of some registration problems. While I have found much help here that has improved the way I play this game, I have been most dismayed by the huge amounts of arguments that take place about this game. People on both sides are sure that their view is THE view, and that everyone else is wrong, and they back their view up based on the number of people who agree with them in these forums. I am here to remind EVERYONE that there is a world outside of this forum. Everyone who I have talked to outside of this forum seems to enjoy the game, and doesn't really care about any of the things that get mentioned in the arguments. In fact if I try and even tell them that such things exist they ignore me, as the simply don't care. I'm willing to bet most people who play this game, and all games, do not care about what a select group of people in a forum think about a game. They play any computer game simply as a means for fun. If they like a game, they play it. If they don't like it, they don't play it. I think that most people in the world have better things to do than spend hours of their lives reading and posting about a game that they either returned, or hate playing. (I will not mention names, but you know who you are.)

More importantly, however, I think that the people who are getting so upset about this game need to go outside, take a deep breath, look at the sky, realize that there is more to life than this game, to any game, to any ONE thing. If the recent events have taught us anything, they have taught us that life is too short and too precious to waste. Spending time arguing about a computer game is a waste. If you get pleasure from this game, then good. If you don't, please find something you do gain pleasure from. Don't complain about this. Life is too short.

Nathan
Old December 13, 2001, 18:29   #2
Deornwulf
Warlord

Local Time: 18:28
Yeah, right.
Next you'll be telling me that the emperor has on no clothes.

I thought reality was for those who couldn't handle computer games.

I hope that nobody actually takes any of this all that seriously. As a teacher, I find that people can be quite venomous in writing and enjoy ranting and raving but act entirely different in the real world. Think of it as therapy.
Old December 13, 2001, 18:33   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 20:28
Yes, there is a world outside. I just seem to get there more seldom. But as you say these people aren't enlightened about what features are in the game, and what features aren't.

I think this game is great, but it could have been better if we had waited longer. But I also understand that the unenlightened people want the game before Christmas or they wouldn't buy it.

I haven't been here very long, but it has learnt me so mush more about civ games then I knew before I joined in the beginning of this year. Still I wasn't here when the list was made. The list of which I've heard so mush about. A list of features wanted in Civ3 by addicted civers that had given their soles to the Civilization games. I know many ides to Civ3 were taken from that list, and Apolyton became a Greek city in Civ3. So these people from the outside world have the addicts of this forum to thank for many great ideas that are in the game. Why don't you ask them what they would have thought about the game without those features?
Old December 13, 2001, 20:31   #4
absimiliard
Chieftain

Eeeep. Double post. Sorry.
Old December 13, 2001, 20:32   #5
absimiliard
Chieftain

No there isn't a real world! That's a lie! And Santa Claus does too exist.

*Absimiliard sticks fingers in ears*

La la la la . . . Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb.

Mary had a little lamb, it's fleece was white as snow.
Old December 13, 2001, 20:33   #6
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Out....side?

Is there such a place?

:: ponders deeply::

Nahhhh.....a legend.....wild speculation! Bah!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old December 13, 2001, 20:34   #7
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 13:28
OT=Real World
its called the OT forum, you should join us. just post a "hi, i'm new thread" and you'll get to meet all the veterans

on second thought, maybe its not such a good idea to come visit..
Old December 13, 2001, 20:37   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What would really get you, absimiliard, is the random, completely off topic pro/anti america arguments! But they DO make fascinating and (less often) thought-provoking reading.
Old December 13, 2001, 20:40   #9
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
What would really get you, absimiliard, is the random, completely off topic pro/anti america arguments! But they DO make fascinating and (less often) thought-provoking reading.
if you stay for a while, the place kinda grows on you.

what? your thread dropped off the first page? that's too bad. your debating skills weren't good enough to convince everyone that you are right? TOUGH
Old December 13, 2001, 20:49   #10
absimiliard
Chieftain

I suppose I probably should note that this is all a highly intellectual exercise for me and that not once yet have I felt animosity for anyone here. I should also note that I, like us all I believe, have a full and satisfying life away from the computer. I guess it might even be in order to note that many things are more important to me than these forums or even *gasp* Civ III itself.

But I think I'll stick with my original response.

Oh, MrWhereItsAt, I'm a vet of forums for as long as they have existed. They all have that. I'd be quite surprised if the OT forum here was any different.
Old December 13, 2001, 22:00   #11
MORON
Prince

Local Time: 02:28
Quote:
its called the OT forum,
NOOOOO THE NO POST COUNT FORUMS!!!!!
Old December 13, 2001, 22:08   #12
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Local Time: 14:28
I am going to make up a King named Sharon Laden, and I will hope he is not my neighbor.
Old December 13, 2001, 22:57   #13
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Well- Nathan, people are right to complain- exspecially since they likely paid about 60 pounds or 50 dollars for the game...

About the arguments- arguing that the number of people who support your idea in the strategy place is a good way to argue- most people argue here for fun.
Old December 14, 2001, 00:39   #14
Nathan
Settler

I suppose I posted this partly as a reminder to myself. It seems that everyone gets really wrapped up in the game. I do this myself. I spend hours persuing the boards and Vel and everyone's tips have helped me improve my own game vastly. I am guilty of staying up all night constantly telling myself "just one more turn..." I didn't mean to start an argument or anything. Just dropping a general reminder (even though I know it isn't needed) that fresh air can be a good thing, for everyone. As a side note I'd like to thank everyone in here for all of their help. I really enjoy this forum.

Nathan
Old December 14, 2001, 01:27   #15
BigNick
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:28
Re: There is a world outside of this forum.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
There is a world outside of this forum.
Yeah, but I didn't like it much, so I restarted with Pangaea continents and a newer planet for less terrain clumping.
Old December 14, 2001, 10:47   #16
absimiliard
Chieftain

*Absimiliard's jaw drops*

*He then falls off his chair laughing*
Old December 14, 2001, 10:54   #17
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:28
No. Dont come to the OT. The last thing I need is confusing between Nathan and Natan.
Old December 14, 2001, 12:00   #18
ACooper
Prince

The world is what you make it.
Old December 15, 2001, 03:25   #19
Doc Paradox
Settler

Speaking of which, has anyone come up with an Afghanistan scenario where the 1st world country has to play Where's Waldo in the Mountains to win?
Please endeavor, and take great care, not to unnecessarily and hubristically obfuscate your present composition with florid and overtly purple episodes of sloppy logorrheic fancy unless your purpose is to NOT be read.
--WalterShakespeare
Old December 15, 2001, 09:00   #20
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 19:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Paradox
Speaking of which, has anyone come up with an Afghanistan scenario where the 1st world country has to play Where's Waldo in the Mountains to win?
Yes, but not for Civ3
Old December 15, 2001, 09:26   #21
Peets
Warlord

Local Time: 19:28
You can better stay behind your pc
Outside sucks