Old December 13, 2001, 20:06   #1
faffy
Settler

Local Time: 18:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How to cope with late-game weariness?
Hi!
I enjoy the game immensely in the early expanding stages until the map is filled with civilizations. It is still interesting to improve my cities and terraform the countryside. However, from around industralization tediousness starts to creep into the game and I start to lose motivation. I just can't keep my interest up. The modern warfare is still a mystery to me since I have not figured out which unit is good for what. Does anyone have a solution to fight this weariness?

Faffy
Old December 13, 2001, 20:23   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hmm. I get this too, that's why I haven't yet finished a game, yet have started about 5. Perhaps try something REALLY implausible like invading a small city on another continent and NOT losing it to culture long enough to march a gratuitously large force there and sweep the place.

It seems to me inevitable that this weariness will set in unless you are fighting from behind, fighting for a special resource, politicking to start wars or invoke a war for the hell of it. A kind of "no-war weariness", I guess.

So, war is necessary for the later game - WHAAAT?! I said, war is neccessary for the later game. Cut through them like a Japanese Buzzsaw and see how many will become "just another victim".

Hell yeah!
Old December 13, 2001, 22:15   #3
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 13:28
Play on a smaller map
16 CIVS! TINY MAP!

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old December 14, 2001, 06:04   #4
faffy
Settler

I guess it also has to do with not using the interface very efficiently. Do you know a thread that deals with the interface?

Faffy
Old December 14, 2001, 06:12   #5
HulluKarhu
Chieftain

I used end turn now a lot
I had almost all my workers on shtf/a and concentrated on just a couple of tasks.
eg: moving x to y or change this to that.. and then I hit shft/return to end my turn. It is fun watching all the workers scamper off to their next tasks during the wait between turns.
Old December 14, 2001, 06:26   #6
Dev
Warlord

I agree 100% with you.
Sadly once you reach a given empire size the interface breaks down making a every turn a long tedious micromanagement nightmare

The major part of the solution is called unit stacking, it will probably be available in the $29.95 Civ3 X-Pack. :P

/dev
Old December 14, 2001, 09:01   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 19:28
I think we're in danger of complaining about a much demanded feature here. The Civ experts wanted more civs per game on bigger maps with more features. They got some, but not all, of what they asked for. Anyone who dislikes end game micromanagement shoud either cut a straight path toward one of the fast victories or go for playing on a small map with less opposition. The new options to turn off automatic moves and friendlies helps, but nothing helps as much as just playing a smaller game. Naming the middle option 'standard' was perhaps a slight mistake. The essense is to pick the one you find you most enjoy playing on. I don't intend to ever play 'huge' for anything other than a historical earth scenario.