Old December 13, 2001, 21:19   #1
admiralk
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Going back to Call to Power 2
Unfortunatly this game isn't providing me with the fun from CTP2. I'm just plain old tired of getting my elites killed by lesser units and losing battles in which i should win. I mean how would u feel if a friggin spearmen killed an INFANTRY. I mean gosh darnint this game needs to improve combat. I thought the patch would fix it but it doesn't. Its one of those games that i sit and think of ways to like it and get pissed off cause i can't find one. Why am i telling u this? Well i guess i just gotta get the anger out. I thought Civ3 would be the great Civilziation experience. The amount of units in it are great. But i didn't know it would be the game that needs more improvement than anything. I mean Sid Meir did so good in Civ2 but this one is just not cutting to it. I guess because they're trying to make it more complex with the battles that its sacraficeing fun. You know that if they are gonna include leaders in the game then u should at least be able to get a leader every game you play. Not fight, fight, and fight until your 100th victory and then get one. And the combat should be simple not all that complex random dipshit. I can't believe i'm regretting buying this game. I was hoping it would be fun not an annoyance. Can someone please cheer me up.
Old December 13, 2001, 21:21   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:28
wussy
Old December 13, 2001, 21:28   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 14:28
I'll cheer you up. Try this:

"The images you seen on the screen are simply numbers. Just place post-it notes over all the graphics with their corresponding numbers ... this should include terrain, etc. Once you have completely covered the screen with number-filled post-its, you'll no longer be hungup on seeing this game as something even remotely like the real-world. Once you have achieved this state of thinking, you can finally enjoy the pure, raw mathematical results of play. And to help keep you from going beyond the pure numbers, I also recommend shutting off the sound ... or at least have the sound converted to a stream of numbers as well. Enjoy!"

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old December 13, 2001, 22:26   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Attacking with an attack 6 Infantry?!?

You dont need to go to the Yin extreme and view everything as only numbers, but at least taking a glance at their relative strengths and weaknesses would help...
Old December 13, 2001, 22:39   #5
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 18:28
CTP2 AI was annoying as hell

You could have a warrior pillage every single Farm around a city and the AI wouldnt dare come out and attack! Even if there are 12 tanks in the city!
Old December 13, 2001, 22:54   #6
justjake73
Prince

Not to mention the AI sending planes, ships and units to absolutely nowhere.... I watched AI on AI wars where bombers would just go from city to city...enemy transports pass by opposing battleships and nothing happens....3 dozen troops are stacked on one island and there is scant defense on another..... It just became BOOOOORRRRRIIIINGGG!
Old December 13, 2001, 23:16   #7
jadlakha
Warlord

Sounds like u hate Civ III cause u suck at it and the comp owns u. I hated CTP2 cause the AI was way to easy to own. Go back to ur crappy AI.
Old December 14, 2001, 00:18   #8
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by jadlakha
Sounds like u hate Civ III cause u suck at it and the comp owns u. I hated CTP2 cause the AI was way to easy to own. Go back to ur crappy AI.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!
Old December 14, 2001, 00:21   #9
Venger
King

Local Time: 12:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Attacking with an attack 6 Infantry?!?
Good Lord Yes, no country in history has EVER attacked with infantry!!!!! What would you have preferred he attack with, cavalry? Oh wait, they are 6 attack as well...a paratrooper? Oh wait, they are 6 as well...

One should expect to attack a 4000 year old unit and defeat it with much greater regularity than the Civ3 system reveals.

Quote:
You dont need to go to the Yin extreme and view everything as only numbers, but at least taking a glance at their relative strengths and weaknesses would help...
He has experienced the Forrest Gump combat system of Civ3. Stupid is as stupid does.

Venger
Old December 14, 2001, 00:32   #10
Venger
King

And of course the aptly named Simpleton brays like a jackass again...

The AI is ZERO challenge. That said, the game system is a challenge, but not in a competitive sense, as in "mentally challenged", riding the small bus to school type challenged...

Venger
Old December 14, 2001, 03:19   #11
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Venger
What would you have preferred he attack with, cavalry?

Yes. If the battle doesn't go as well as planned, then his unit can always retreat

Quote:
One should expect to attack a 4000 year old unit and defeat it with much greater regularity than the Civ3 system reveals.

He has experienced the Forrest Gump combat system of Civ3. Stupid is as stupid does.

Venger
True. I for one am in favour of a complete ovefhaul of the combat system. However, attacking with a defensive unit is generally a stupid thing to do
Old December 14, 2001, 03:21   #12
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

some people just can't hang with the big boys.

civ3 is a man's game
Old December 14, 2001, 03:28   #13
fritton
Settler

Check out Empire Earth. It's a real time strategy game, but it's along the same line as civ (empire building) I've been extremely impressed with it and have already played it twice as much as civ3. plus *gasp* it actually has multiplayer
Old December 14, 2001, 03:29   #14
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by admiralk
Have Fun!
Old December 14, 2001, 04:16   #15
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 19:28
ignorant
Civ3 has lost it for me, how many years have they had to really make it the game how it should have been. It has been one big disapointment for me, I am long gone. Venger, Yin and so many others can't all be wrong. No doubt newbies are happy with the simple inheritance, less to do less to think about. Seasoned players can see and understand the faults, even the most loyal Sid fanatics are having difficulty defending the game.

Like many I thought ctp2 was crap, and basically is, but only straight from the box. Now many of you legitmately complain about the AI, agreed CRAP.

But how many have played with the cradle of civilization mod. Man that mod really kicks ass, I am struggling on very hard level.

NOW I challenge any one of you who complain about the AI in CTP2 to beat it at impossible level, Cradle of Civ Mod. Cradle even has a version with an easier AI for you woosies. Man just try cradle, the whole game is much superior to any other civ game. So much so that it resembles how CTP3 should have been, it is more than just a Mod. Only thing for you purists is that some wonders do not have videos, but hey most of you are easily pleased if you like CIV3.
Old December 14, 2001, 11:40   #16
Venger
King

Is cradle the best mod? Is there a DEFINITIVE mod out there that combines the best elements of all of them?

Venger
Old December 14, 2001, 12:01   #17
Moraelin
Warlord

Shameless self-promotion: If the probabilities annoy you that much, you can also try the Exponential Mod from the files forum. Note that it still IS possible for hordes of archers to take a city defended by riflemen -- and the AI _will_ send hordes if needed -- but it one-on-one fights, modern units tend to hold their own MUCH better. Also now it IS possible to attack with infantry: true, tanks still do better in offense than infantry, but modern infantry hits harder than knights, and mech infantry hits even harder than that.

Seems to me like if THAT problem totally ruins your Civ 3 experience, there, problem solved.
Old December 14, 2001, 12:41   #18
Thrawn05
King

This will amke you feel better:

I've had the game for circa 3 weeks, and I STILL havn't gotton a single Leader.

But I still like Civ3, it cheered me up when AL|ENS v PREDATOR 2 let me down .
Old December 14, 2001, 13:00   #19
mattcj
Chieftain

I have yet to get a leader as well (plenty of elite units but I guess they don't go that extra mile). But, not a big deal. However, I still have yet to experience these war inaccuracies that everyone talks about. Even if I lose 1 infantryman to a spearman, the other 4 (plus a couple of cavalry) are there to mop up and I don't really miss the one guy anyway. The end result is I still take the city with ease.
Old December 14, 2001, 14:58   #20
XPav
Chieftain

Quote:
You mean CLICKING ON A DIFFERENT SHORTCUT?

I mean, you people make it sounds like its a big thing. You don't like Civ3. Hey, its your trombone, toot it however you want. You're not going anywhere, you're just playing a different game.

Its a game. That's it. Its not a lifestyle choice, its not even a bad dye-job that you have to live with for a few months.
Old December 14, 2001, 15:07   #21
Kolyana
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by XPav
You mean CLICKING ON A DIFFERENT SHORTCUT?

I mean, you people make it sounds like its a big thing. You don't like Civ3. Hey, its your trombone, toot it however you want. You're not going anywhere, you're just playing a different game.

Its a game. That's it. Its not a lifestyle choice, its not even a bad dye-job that you have to live with for a few months.
Actually, with the sheer volume of work that I'm not doing, it has become a lifestyle choice ...

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.
Old December 14, 2001, 15:19   #22
Moraelin
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
But I still like Civ3, it cheered me up when AL|ENS v PREDATOR 2 let me down .
You serious? AvP2 would be easily my choice for FPS of the year. It has VERY varied missions. The Marine ones are sort of like Undying. The Predator ones are admittedly a jump-puzzle fest. (I swear that Predator's name must be Mario, or the equivalent in his language. And he probably has a red hat under that mask ) But the Alien ones REALLY rule. Pure melee, no health packs to go back to later, walking on walls and ceiling, plus the stealth missions during evolution from face hugger to full grown drone. And of course, biting people's heads off
Old December 14, 2001, 16:51   #23
admiralk
Chieftain

Ok lets get something straight, I don't hate civ3. I just hate how that combat is. And yes i attacked with infantry it makes sense since its supposed to kill a friggin spearmen. Am i a wussy, no. Its just that I've been playing this monarch game for days now. I've fought war after war after war. I finally put myself up to second place. All i need to do is manage to get a little more territory and I would win. I don't have time for dipshit messed up combat I mean regular cavalry defeating elite infantry. Does that make sense to you. Germany comes out of freaking nowhere declears war at me and takes one of my cities. My relief force includes an elite infantry and a whole bunch of cavalry. But 1 regular cavalry kills my elite. That would piss any1 off. I'm gonna try again but its pushing me to the edge of my sanity. Is CTP2 better than Civ3? No probably not. But it can cool me off with its easier combat after getting pissed at Civ3. My friend who also has Civ3 agrees that the combat should be changed. His rifleman got killed by an archer and the rifleman was in a hill. Now, does that make sense. See what i mean? Hmmm maybe i should try Civ2 again?????

And gee wiz u guys didn't have to bite my head off for this.

Who's the one that said no country attacks with infantry. If your talking about real history then your dead wrong. WW1 was all infantry backed up by aritllery and towards the end tanks. So what u said was stupid.

To the guy who talked about Empire Earth. I already have it (i was one of the first to buy it and played the beta version) I admit its an excellent game that i play too.

And it is true about the mods for CTP2 they're great. And some of them are hard. So CTP2 is an excellent game. Although i like Civ3 in terms of interface, the advisors, diplomacy and AI. CTP2 does have its strong points.

Yeah and the leader thing should be changed too. If they are going to include leaders in the game then it should be in every1's game. I mean if a game has leaders then the player should get 1 every single game he plays. Not just get lucky and boom there's a leader. They really have to fix that.

Last edited by admiralk; December 14, 2001 at 17:01.