Old December 16, 2001, 02:35   #1
miloII
Settler

Local Time: 11:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stack and sentry
I am currently playing a game ~1870 I will win this game...if I can stand the boredom of playing without being able to move a stack of units together (esp workers) and without the sentry order. As is, the end game is totally unplayable... it is however a great cure for insomnia....
Old December 16, 2001, 05:43   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 19:33
Quote:
Originally posted by miloII
As is, the end game is totally unplayable... it is however a great cure for insomnia....
I wouldnt go that far - Civ-3 is a great game all in all. Civ-3 has something that Civ-2 never had; instant teleportation along RR-lines, that helps reducing endgame move-managment. But sure; they can still do things that eases of the move-related repetitiveness even further.

A move-related unit-stack ability would also help greatly. Only regular 3-4 unit armies share their hitpoints, of course - while any other stacked unit only fight for themselves. This added stacking ability is strictly move-related only.

Added to above, they should make it possible to activate several airplanes placed in different cities in one go; then move them all simultaneously to this or that final relocation-city.
And once your continent is fully railroaded (and all your landbased units can be "teleported" along domestic RR-lines), they should try to add above simultaneous relocation-ability to these land-units, as well.

Finally, I do agree with you about adding a Civ-2 style Sentry-command. Civ-3 currently have two very similar unit-commands; "Wait" and "Hold". I think it would be a good idea to replace the "Hold" button with a Civ-2 style Sentry-button instead. One dont need a special hold-button for that - keyboard space-key command is enough.

Last edited by Ralf; December 16, 2001 at 05:49.
Old December 16, 2001, 08:56   #3
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 13:33

Yet another plea for group movement!

"He who has ears let him hear." — Jesus
Old December 16, 2001, 18:41   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 14:33
Why do you need a sentry/hold command for? Fortify fills this nicely.

-edit-

I think I know what you are meaning: you want a command that 'wakes' the unit when enemie approach, is that it?
Old December 16, 2001, 19:18   #5
Marko Polo
Warlord

Local Time: 18:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
Why do you need a sentry/hold command for? Fortify fills this nicely.

-edit-

I think I know what you are meaning: you want a command that 'wakes' the unit when enemie approach, is that it?
Exactly. Especially useful for naval units guarding your coasts as well as guard units sentried to your boards.