Old December 18, 2001, 01:20   #1
Geez
Settler

Local Time: 12:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Very Disappointed In This Junk Of A Game
I can't believe what they have done to the combat system in this game. It is the final death blow to what I thought would be the revival of a revolutionary game. Cavalry REPEATEDLY wasting tanks. That is very historically accurate . Now, I wish I would have bought Empire Earth instead. To think I had them both in my hand and put the wrong one down... I'm going back to Civ2. I am very disappointed that Sid would put his name on this junk. Eye candy and nothing more. Watery. Crap!

P.S.- The diplomacy model is also crap. I mean, you go to war with one civ, you are suddenly at war with the entire planet for the rest of the game (on and off, mostly on). OOOOOOOOOOK! Where can I get my 50 bucks back?
Old December 18, 2001, 01:25   #2
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 19:39
Re: Very Disappointed In This Junk Of A Game
Quote:
Originally posted by Geez
Cavalry REPEATEDLY wasting tanks. That is very historically accurate .
But a game based on human civilization over the course of history isn't supposed to be remotely accurate! And calvary beating tanks? Pssh. Thats one of the revolutionary new 'features' promised us. These calvarlymen are armed with the new 88-mm anti-tank carbine rifle....jeeze use your imagination!
Old December 18, 2001, 01:30   #3
Geez
Settler

Stop smoking pot.

Tell me what is the point of striving to beat everyone to Motorized Transport (or any other advanced military tech), when I can build 1000 Longbowmen and (if I was the computer) waste everybody?

Give me 1000 Longbowmen and I will take over the world!

AAAAAH HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAAAAAAAAAH!
Old December 18, 2001, 01:30   #4
Stryfe
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:39
I keep wondering if the people who make these complaints just suck at the game or what.
Old December 18, 2001, 01:47   #5
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Geez: Sarcasm is a wonderful thing; especially when folks can't figure it out.

Stryfe: Keep wondering, my friend. Here's another conundrum for you to ponder: How do you keep an idiot in suspense?
Old December 18, 2001, 01:52   #6
Hrnac
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Settler

Hmmm
Quote:
Originally posted by Geez
Stop smoking pot.

Tell me what is the point of striving to beat everyone to Motorized Transport (or any other advanced military tech), when I can build 1000 Longbowmen and (if I was the computer) waste everybody?

Give me 1000 Longbowmen and I will take over the world!

AAAAAH HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAAAAAAAAAH!
I agree that the loss of a Tank to a Cavalry unit is not realistic nor fun, but there are ways to deal with this. If you are not already doing the following, I would suggest trying these tactics:

1. If you have airpower within range, bombard the Cavalry units before attacking. The same tactic can be applied with ship bombardment as well.

2. Bring along some guarded artillery and alo bombard the Cavalry units before attacking.

3. Assemble small armies of at least 3-4 units before attacking. This will allow you to have alternate options should an attack or two go bad.

4. Wait until you get modern armor and then drop the hammer on those once bothersome cavalry units.

5. Edit your modern unit attack and defense values to reflect your tastes and to allow a moden unit to have a better chance of victory.

The thing to keep in mind in Civ 3, is that the game allows one to use combined arms tactics and rewards those who do. While many will argue that the Civ 2 combat system is better, the reality is that in Civ 3, we have a Civ 1 type system and it's probably not going to be changed. While not perfect, it's certainly doable and can offer fun to those willing to work within the framework of it's rules.

Hope this helps.

-Hrnac
Old December 18, 2001, 02:16   #7
Fayadi
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Stryfe
I keep wondering if the people who make these complaints just suck at the game or what.
I think u r the dumb one.....U r the one who is too dumb to enjoy and defend a game which is loaded with combat bugs that ruined the fun of Civ 3.Military plays a significant role of 90% of the fun of Civ3.Imagine a civ game without military units ......Now that the combat system is screwed and upsidedown,I wonder how much fun will the Civ3 gave us left
These dumb ppl who works or spy for Firaxis in Apolyton just cant believe the fact that Civ 3 is really screwed.Some people are too stupid that we all are trying to improve the game by complains. Some moronic people really shouldnt spam in an friendly way instead he should come up with a "professional " suggestion if not he/she should shut up

Last edited by Fayadi; December 18, 2001 at 02:22.
Old December 18, 2001, 03:02   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Give it up you pack of f*ckin whiners!

Learn how to play to game. Or don''t and just perpetuate the b*tch fest. That would become you as you seem more like a pack'o-b*tches than you do gamers.

Oh, geez, can't just run my tanks mish-mash anywhere I want. Well guess what, neither could Generals Manstein, Zhukov, nor Schwartzkov (or however the hell you spell it). Not without losing them that is.

I have yet to lose a Tank to any unit older than Infantry. I have yet to lose anything significant to any Spearman (hello, can you say Civ BB vs Phalanx). F*ck. Get off the pot already and learn how to play the friggin game that's in front of you.

Guess what Chuckie, it ain't Civ 2.1. It ain't SMAC on Earth starting in 4000bc. It's different. It's new. And it has quite a few things never before seen in TBS.

So either learn how to play the friggin thing or play Civ 2. Either way, no difference to me (except that I got to call you b*tches, he he).

Salve
Old December 18, 2001, 03:05   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

PS.

I strongly suspect that some of you b*tches work for other development companies. I mean, the odds of so many of you being so stupid are incalculable. The only alternative left is malice.

None Salve
Or whatever.
Old December 18, 2001, 03:20   #10
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Give it up you pack of f*ckin whiners!

Learn how to play to game. Or don''t and just perpetuate the b*tch fest. That would become you as you seem more like a pack'o-b*tches than you do gamers.

Oh, geez, can't just run my tanks mish-mash anywhere I want. Well guess what, neither could Generals Manstein, Zhukov, nor Schwartzkov (or however the hell you spell it). Not without losing them that is.

I have yet to lose a Tank to any unit older than Infantry. I have yet to lose anything significant to any Spearman (hello, can you say Civ BB vs Phalanx). F*ck. Get off the pot already and learn how to play the friggin game that's in front of you.

Guess what Chuckie, it ain't Civ 2.1. It ain't SMAC on Earth starting in 4000bc. It's different. It's new. And it has quite a few things never before seen in TBS.

So either learn how to play the friggin thing or play Civ 2. Either way, no difference to me (except that I got to call you b*tches, he he).

Salve
Quote:
PS.

I strongly suspect that some of you b*tches work for other development companies. I mean, the odds of so many of you being so stupid are incalculable. The only alternative left is malice.

None Salve
Or whatever.

Whew, thanks man. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time (the time Gore stated that he invented the internet, if I recall). Your satirical post brought tears to my eyes and brightened an otherwise boring day at work. Finally, someone on this board who understands the fine workings of sarcasm...

What? You were serious?

.......Oh.

Never mind then. Let me just move my cursor to that little *Ignore* area and you can join an exclusive club with you as the only member. Congradulations!

Old December 18, 2001, 03:30   #11
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 14:39
notyoueither: Please post more. Honestly. I look forward to it.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old December 18, 2001, 03:33   #12
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by N. Machiavelli

What? You were serious?

.......Oh.

Never mind then. Let me just move my cursor to that little *Ignore* area and you can join an exclusive club with you as the only member. Congradulations!

Glad to make your day, b*tch.

Meet you in MP, meat.

Or maybe you could learn how to play the game and not b*tch about how it doesn't cater to YOUR concept of how a game should work.
Old December 18, 2001, 03:36   #13
bigredlemon
Settler

Local Time: 13:39
The shitloads of crazy stuff is way too common to be ignored...

just today, i send 10 VENTRAN MODERN ARMOUR to attack a city with 3 infantry on grassland, and the all died but all 3 infantry lives. Some with close calls though, but their health were full next turn. My computer allies then attack with 4 mechanized infantry, and wins with NO LOSS.

How the fûck is this possible? Using the odds given by the borad, I should win the lottery before this should happen!

I'm still broke, and 10 modern armour short
Old December 18, 2001, 03:37   #14
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

notyoueither: LOL!! Keep going!

Last edited by yin26; December 18, 2001 at 03:45.
Old December 18, 2001, 03:38   #15
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Quote:

Meet you in MP, meat.
That's a deal, carrot. Then again, by the time MP comes out, the Rapture would have already occured, so you won't even be here.

Quote:
Glad to make your day, b*tch.
My girlfriend makes my day too, but for a different reason. You make my day the same way a clown or a drunken chimp might, but thanks anyway.
Old December 18, 2001, 03:42   #16
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by bigredlemon
The shitloads of crazy stuff is way too common to be ignored...

just today, i send 10 VENTRAN MODERN ARMOUR to attack a city with 3 infantry on grassland, and the all died but all 3 infantry lives. Some with close calls though, but their health were full next turn. My computer allies then attack with 4 mechanized infantry, and wins with NO LOSS.

How the fûck is this possible? Using the odds given by the borad, I should win the lottery before this should happen!

I'm still broke, and 10 modern armour short
Honestly, I have to say I have a hard time believing this happened. I have never seen anything remotely like this. In any of 3 complete games, all the way through. Legions vs Hoplites (never). Cavalry vs Musket or Infantry (never). Tanks vs Infantry and Riflemen (never). Modern Armour vs Inf and Mech Inf (never).

You should have bought a ticket.

Salve
Old December 18, 2001, 03:46   #17
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
My girlfriend makes my day too, but for a different reason. You make my day the same way a clown or a drunken chimp might, but thanks anyway.
We're not counting inflatables around here bud.
Old December 18, 2001, 03:47   #18
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LOL! As if what a chimp believes is somehow relevant!

Old December 18, 2001, 03:57   #19
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Quote:

We're not counting inflatables around here bud.
Then why are you here? You seem to have the comprehensive powers of a balloon animal.

Btw, can we simply agree that you are an ignorant jerk and move on? This is REALLY getting to be off-topic and while I enjoy the occasional pissing contest to prove who is more juvenile, this is a wee bit OT.
Old December 18, 2001, 04:06   #20
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
LOL! As if what a chimp believes is somehow relevant!
Trying to break in here yin? You're the biggest b*tch of them all.

I'd say what you have to say would be relevant if you could figure out how to play the game.
Old December 18, 2001, 04:09   #21
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Actually, I find the game too easy. But I can see how a chimp would struggle. Keep 'em coming! This is great!

Old December 18, 2001, 04:12   #22
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:

Then why are you here? You seem to have the comprehensive powers of a balloon animal.

Btw, can we simply agree that you are an ignorant jerk and move on? This is REALLY getting to be off-topic and while I enjoy the occasional pissing contest to prove who is more juvenile, this is a wee bit OT.
No, it's exactly on topic son.

*Junk of a game* I disagree. That's off topic?

I think that many of those who feel it's junk are less bright than the average house plant. Is that off topic? Maybe.

That you should have been put to bed by mommy hours ago? Definitely off topic. But true.

Salve
Old December 18, 2001, 04:14   #23
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Actually, I find the game too easy. But I can see how a chimp would struggle. Keep 'em coming! This is great!
Nice try Yin, try again.
Old December 18, 2001, 04:22   #24
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Does it hurt your feelings that I find the game too easy, even on Emporer? In your case, I've heard chimps are capable of great things, though, when trained properly ... can you get some time out of your cage?

Old December 18, 2001, 04:31   #25
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Does it hurt your feelings that I find the game too easy, even on Emporer? In your case, I've heard chimps are capable of great things, though, when trained properly ... can you get some time out of your cage?
Ohhh. Emperor. I quiver.

Know what? I don't believe you've actually ever played it.

I think more likely you're fronting for some other dev company who hires b*tches like you.

Why else would you pay so much attention to a game you profess to hate so much? Clue, move on, get a life.
Old December 18, 2001, 04:40   #26
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 20:39
if someone wonders why this thread is closed, ask in the apolyton forum...