Old December 20, 2001, 18:02   #61
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 14:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
LOL! God, I love people who don't 'get it.' Things here would be so boring if, after I was attacked, my counter-attacks were actually understood!

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old December 20, 2001, 18:38   #62
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 19:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Bugg
Does anybody think that 5 battalions of tanks could hold New York City?
Perhaps, perhaps not. They should be able to hold a 2-pop. town like Mayberry without succumbing to annihilation. I understand that Aunt B's pies generate ALOT of culture, but hey. As for tanks holding on to large cities...ask Hungary how that revolt vs Soviet tank brigades faired in Budapest back in the 50's. They vastly outnumbered the incoming troops, but as much as movies and video games hate to admit it, civilians simply are not equal to combat-hardened troops.
Old December 21, 2001, 05:03   #63
Be Quicker
Warlord

Local Time: 19:40
Sorry to be apologetic, but I think the city reverts due to the now invisible and highly effective CivIII partisans, which you can NOT challenge or fight in a conventional manner (unlike the CivII partisans, which were just an annoyance and easily taken care of)

PS I am mainly defending the main idea idea behind this game design decision, which I think is ok because it makes conquering more difficult. I do think that some implementations should be better (like what happens to your troops, or how many troops will always, i.e. 100% of the time, be able to hold the city)
Old December 21, 2001, 15:16   #64
bahoo
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Bugg
The reason that revolutions are allowed to happen is to prevent the players like myself who have no morals from giving the A.I. a few luxuries and gold per turn for a Rights of passage treaty and then waltzing next to a city that has the Colossus, Newton, Copernicus and the Pyramid and taking it over in a turn and then suing for peace. In civ 2 when we had an alliance we could freely travel in A.I. territory but when war started we were kicked out, this doesn't happen in civ 3 you just get a bad rep. To prevent you from doing this you have the culture flips. It's not worth having the bad rep if you are going to lose the city two turns later.
The AI ought to be smart enough not to give you a Right of Passage agreement if you have displayed such ruthlessness in the past. Compensating for the AI's lacking is a not very good excuse for a poor game concept.