Old July 24, 2000, 23:12   #1
Napoleon I
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:25
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Maybe I am just being smug because I know (with a large degree of certainty) that my current computer will be above the required line for Civ3, but I say that Firaxis should feel free to make the requirements higher as long as it is for a worthy cause. That is I would feel reasonable about the 128 meg ram requirement if it was needed to allow us to play larger maps and have more civs in the game at the same time.

However, if the extra requirements go towards multimedia purposes such as making culture specific advisor movies, I would really be disappointed. I don't think that decorative stuff like that should have a significant effect on the game.

Anyways, just my 2 c.

------------------
Napoleon I
Old July 25, 2000, 00:36   #2
Apathetic Dreamer

What should we expect in the way of technological requirments?
New games that come out now seem to average right around requiring p-200's with 32 ram and recommending p233's with 64.

Civ3, coming out in a year or so (year and a half, probably) the average game will require more like 266-300 probably. Will civ3 be similar, in require that much? And recommended 128 ram? What about modem speeds or DVD instead of regular CD-ROM format?

IMO, i think Firaxis shouldn't be afraid to push a little bit, as far as what the game will require, as long as it's worth it. AND as long as many options that would require more are turned off.

what are everyone elses thoughts on this?

Old July 25, 2000, 02:26   #3
Evil Capitalist
King

Local Time: 00:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I agree- somewhere between P233-P333. I hope you're wrong about 128Mb RAM, but you're probably right.
Mind you, at the current rate of procrastination we'll all have 8GHz systems with 2Gb RAM.
Old July 25, 2000, 07:17   #4
Pondo
Settler

Hi all!
I agree that FIRAX should not be over-careful, but do hope that they do not invest too much time into fancy graphics to use all those 3-D features available. The Civ-Series was never know for excellent graphics, but for the gameplay. So make the requirements what it takes to make it FUN!

Pondo
Old July 25, 2000, 08:35   #5
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:25
Civilization II and SMAC gain a tradition to be Notebook PC friendly.

I mean, that's a game that not only young and brave students can play from their powerful desktops, also commuters employeers like to play from a notebook on a train (sometime a notebook they got from company to finish that oh-so-urgent work ).

Maybe this notebook compliance largely depends on Brian Reynolds feeling (now that we all know he love notebook, see apolyton/misc link to "Reynolds on trade tool" article), and will end with the coming CIV III.

But I hope Firaxis (are you listening, sir?) will let us commuters to enjoy some game from a seat of the so-often-late trains without have to fork out for some 5.000$ system.

What a pity if I'll must limit myself back to some good book reading!

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old July 25, 2000, 19:44   #6
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 10:25
I hope not. I'd have a hard time justifying buying a new PC for just one game. (And if I'm honest with myself, that's probably what it would be.) But, you never know. They seemed pretty keen to have top of the line stuff.

- MKL
[This message has been edited by MidKnight Lament (edited July 25, 2000).]
Old July 25, 2000, 20:04   #7
phunny pharmer
Chieftain

Guys, I expect that the games will become more and more equipment-expensive (sigh). It's going to hurt, having to shove out a few grand for a new computer every ten or fifteen years. Dang! Technology is moving too fast

It seems easy to say this sitting behind my dad's 400mHz-16.6GB HD-128MB RAM. However, I know I'll have to leave home one day and buy my own machine. And I don't want to have to pay big bucks to be able to crush my friends at multiplayer!

However, if the game will be equipment-intensive, I hope it will make the equipment cost worthwile. Otherwise, I'll drop Civ when I go off to college!
Old July 26, 2000, 01:00   #8
Par4
King

Local Time: 16:25
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I'm gonna make sure my comp will be able to play Freelancer very fast at the maximum graphic and sound quality so Civ3 shouldn't be a problem. But I think it'll be around 266-333 or 266-400 but rec specs will be around 500-700 is my guess but by then we'll have 2ghz PCs so anyone who can't play the game should consider upgrading how expensive could a 400 PII be by then!!

------------------
King Par4!!

There is no spoon
-The Matrix
Let's kick it up a notch!!
-Emeril Lagasse
Fresh Soy makes Tofu so silky
-Ming Tsai
Old July 26, 2000, 02:01   #9
Biddles
Prince

Par4 has a point. When this game (finally) hits the shelves, buying a PII 400 processor will be cheaper than the actual game. I don't think that any civ game will be high end on the hardware scale. They just don't need the rescources the first-persons, RTS's etc. need. I'd say 300Mhz max.

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission