View Poll Results: Why do the Whiners act like this? They...
like attention 15 15.15%
take part in their own "no. of replies"contest 4 4.04%
are employees of rival software companies 2 2.02%
like whining 15 15.15%
are just kids..(it's the age) 15 15.15%
don't like number 3 5 5.05%
can't understand the game 25 25.25%
have nothing! else to do 18 18.18%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 18, 2001, 21:58   #1
DarkForce
Settler

Local Time: 20:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Whiners
i read many forums about various games and i must admit that this forum is the one with the most whiners. (the fifa 2002 forum is the only other game forum where i saw so many whiners too.)

i think Civ3 is GREAT

i am tired of reading the threads in this forum everyday in order to find something interesting about the game but instead find endless stupid compaints and childish negative posts. i hope you understand what i want to say. i mean i'm tired of people posting threads with titles such as "Why Civ3 is bad" etc. i think they don't care at all about the game but only want to see if they will break their personal previous record of the replies they had in previous threads they started.

i belive that civ3 is a great game (much better than civ2 or civ1) and most bygs have dissapperaed with the 1.16f patch.

so, about the whiners, my question is:

why do u think they act like this?
Old December 18, 2001, 22:36   #2
simwiz2
Warlord

Local Time: 13:43
too bad theres not an option for "they paid $50 for a game that is a major dissapointment, bordering on false advertisement" such as just enough editor to claim one existed, etc.

so put my vote down for "other" er, i guess there isnt one of those either....

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old December 18, 2001, 22:50   #3
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 12:43
What part was falsely advertised?
Old December 18, 2001, 22:54   #4
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 19:43
Quote:
Originally posted by simwiz2
too bad theres not an option for "they paid $50 for a game that is a major dissapointment, bordering on false advertisement" such as just enough editor to claim one existed, etc.

so put my vote down for "other" er, i guess there isnt one of those either....
I'm more for the option of:

-"What? Someone might actually have a different opinion than us?"

or how about...

-"They actually wish to speak their minds on a public forum?"

Darn whiners, why can't they just settle into orgasmic bliss from the mere utterance of Sid's name like the rest of us sane folk?
Old December 18, 2001, 23:01   #5
Code Monkey
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by ****gyRA

Dear lords, don't start this one again!

(The LE did make claims about its contents that are only true if you spin around real fast and lie down with your eyes shut.)

Other than that, I don't think anything claimed officially about the game was demonstrably false but there's no convincing some people who mistake their dislike of a game mechanic's implementation with that mechanic being falsely represented.
Old December 18, 2001, 23:04   #6
Fayadi
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ****gyRA

They said Civ III will come up with a great editor.....

Anyway just wanna tell,this is a flawed poll,people complains because they love civIII and was disappointed.Will u happy if Civ III stay put and dont learn their mistakes to become a great game because nobody complains?Wont u be happy if Civ III learn their mistakes to come out with something to become a great game and the credits goes to the complainers?These 2 sentences are about the same just wanna make sure u fully understand
Old December 18, 2001, 23:21   #7
Master Marcus
Prince

Some may be employees or related to rival software companies, yes, and many for sure can't adapt to the fierce Civ III'S AI and don't corner how to play it next to Civ II.
Old December 18, 2001, 23:29   #8
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Fayadi

They said Civ III will come up with a great editor.....
The official quote is:

"More powerful and intuitive customization tools."

The problem is that the statement is so open-ended. To a blind chimpanzee, a stick in the sand is more intuitive than what was equipped before. And shouldn't "more powerful" mean that we should be able to edit more than before? Sure, the editor has *potential* to be more than the txt files of yesteryear, but that wasn't what was given to us in that shiny metal tin.

Here's a quote from Jeff Morris:

"When we approached the editing tools for Civilization III, we were determined to offer a contemporary customization environment. In previous incarnations of this franchise, users were capable of making radical changes to the game systems, but often needed to locate and edit text files to do so. In Civilization III these changes are still possible...."

Except it is illegal to read/change the code isn't it? I wonder if our Deutsche Freunden read this and mis-interpretted it too...

Here's another:

"Using the editor, users are empowered to create scenarios that we never dreamt of during development."

Must have been in a coma. Either that, or they have problems reaching REM when they sleep.

Try this:

"Firaxis is very interested in Civilization III having an active mod community, but need to know where our efforts are best spent."

And people wonder why 'whiners' keep repeating their requests over and over and over and....

This one is my favorite:

"Together we can make Civilization III a potent platform for not only exploring factual history, but also your creativity and interests."

The same factual history where spearmen destroy tanks or cavemen can single-handedly sink 5 battleships in-harbour.
Old December 18, 2001, 23:45   #9
Fayadi
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Marcus
Some may be employees or related to rival software companies, yes, and many for sure can't adapt to the fierce Civ III'S AI and don't corner how to play it next to Civ II.
Look I am a big fan of Civ series and was disappointed okay?
How u know many people cant adapt to the fierce AI?Have u done a survey something?To me the AI at Regent Monarch is just ok nice challenge....nothing difficult
Old December 18, 2001, 23:57   #10
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 14:43
Settler Diarrhea. Wins every game. Every time. Any level.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old December 19, 2001, 00:26   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Settler Diarrhea. Wins every game. Every time. Any level.
And so it was in Civ2, which I believe I have seen you profess to love.

Consistency, the bug bear of... Ooops, not supposed to go there. Don't like closed threads do we?
Old December 19, 2001, 00:32   #12
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I stopped playing Civ2 about 3 or 4 years ago. Got tired of it. Of course, that was after several months of great gameplay for its day. I stopped playing Civ3 3 or 4 weeks ago. Got tired of it. Of course, that was after the few games it took to realize the game not only didn't progress in any meaningful way but that things like Settler Diarreah were made even WORSE than before despite the incompetent claims of 'we finally fixed it.'

Old December 19, 2001, 00:41   #13
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

And so it was in Civ2, which I believe I have seen you profess to love.

Consistency, the bug bear of... Ooops, not supposed to go there. Don't like closed threads do we?
Good Gods, are you still here? :Waves Scepter: Out! Out! You Demon of Stupidity! Go find another bridge to Troll under...perhaps one with hapless billy goats.
Old December 19, 2001, 00:57   #14
Master Marcus
Prince

guys, if you're so disappointed, why are you still lurking here? If you think the game is "broken beyond repair" ( whining quote of the year ), go someplace else .... I dunno, go back to Civ II-CTP -SMAC forums, Empire Earth, EU II, MoO3...
Old December 19, 2001, 01:07   #15
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 18:43
Quote:
I stopped playing Civ2 about 3 or 4 years ago. Got tired of it.
GOOD HEAVENS! You've been hanging around in a forum concerning a game you've been tired of for 3 to 4 years??!

Chronus walks over to the voting booth and casts a vote for "like attention".

(ahem . . . sorry)
Old December 19, 2001, 01:10   #16
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Clearly you haven't been around the forum long enough to know exactly what I have been up to the past two years here, eh? Care to try again?

Old December 19, 2001, 01:17   #17
Comrade Tribune
Prince

I just voted for 'Can´t understand the game'.

I can´t understand the game, meaning: I have no idea what they were thinking when they created it.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old December 19, 2001, 01:53   #18
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by N. Machiavelli

Good Gods, are you still here? :Waves Scepter: Out! Out! You Demon of Stupidity! Go find another bridge to Troll under...perhaps one with hapless billy goats.
Effective. I am dissolving... BUT, I shall return.

BTW, can't handle someone who speaks about you and your friends the way you and your friends speak of the designers can you?
Old December 19, 2001, 02:46   #19
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Marcus
guys, if you're so disappointed, why are you still lurking here? If you think the game is "broken beyond repair" ( whining quote of the year ), go someplace else .... I dunno, go back to Civ II-CTP -SMAC forums, Empire Earth, EU II, MoO3...
So this board is only for those who think Civ3 is perfect? No constructive criticism allowed? Who said "broken beyond repair"? Care to give the source of that quote? The game isn't beyond salvation, that's why I'm here at least. I wish to give input on parts of this potentially-awesome game that I feel are in need of improvement.
Old December 19, 2001, 04:09   #20
Aqualung
Chieftain

I've been playing since Civilization first came out (on the Amiga 500).

YES. It does bother my pride that after a month and a half (having spent years mastering Deity on CivII... 921%?) that I'm still stuck on Regent. No matter, it's a more complex game. I'll master it eventually.

But what I hate about it:

The editor! Need I say more? Who was it at Firaxis who thought that the players on an Earth map wouldn't mind if their Russains started out in Mexico? Idiot! And, at least for me, simply changing a civ's color (I want the French to be light blue) causes a fatal error.

Corruption. Not realistically tied to the size of empire you need for a given map. On a Huge map, 26 cities ISN'T a large empire. And yet, even Courthouses/Police Stations (patched version) do extremely little even in a Democracy. It's rediculously crippling.

Pollution. Takes too long to clean up.

The 1st patch. I've got an empire of 16 cities. Ur has a sheild production of 21 (non-wasted), and it'll take me 120 turns just to move my capital one city away? That's 2520 shields. For an empire that's only 16 cities. On a Huge map... Whoever thought of this formula for calculating the cost of building a palace needs to be severely beaten. And I'm someone who NEVER moves my palace. My capital is MY CAPITAL, and I insist on it being the most important city, #1, with the most wonders, in the game. I never move it. But the whole idea that it would take me 120 turns to move it to the closest city... absolutely idiotic.

The 1st patch, part 2. Who thought it would improve game play to increase research time from 32 to 40 turns?

General buggyness. You know how you get that chiming noise "glinglinklinkegling" when an AI wants to talk with you? And that drum sound when there's an announcement (such as cultural influence expanding "brummbrumm")? I get that all the time, mixed together, except it sounds like a skipping record "gling..gling..k...k...gling..brumm..gling...brumm. ..brumm..k... k..."

CivIII gets a maximum of a C+ grade from me. Great promise, needs serious work. Given what it COULD have been, I would have gladly contented myself with CivII for another year. But the game I now play suggests that Sid wasn't the least bit interested in actual "play-tests".
Old December 19, 2001, 04:39   #21
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 20:43
too bad i could not check all the choices in the poll
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 19, 2001, 10:03   #22
Deornwulf
Warlord

To those who like Civ3
I have a simple challenge for you fanboys, put something besides the rhetoric you accuse the critics of into your posts. All I have seen is whining about the whining. What is it that you specifically like about the game? We critics are getting tired of hearing you merely applaud the game. If I were grading your posts in my class, you would get an "F" for a lack of details. It's not good enough to just say you like the game. Give reasons and be prepared to defend your viewpoint.

Remember that all of the posts represent personal opinions. There is no logic, right or wrong, superior or inferior to them. It is all a matter of personal taste. You may disagree with the opinions offered by don't ever belittle someone for having their own opinion.

I'm tired of being told that Civ3 is the greatest game ever. That statement is not a fact and never will be. That unqualified statement is a hasty generalization based on opinion. It is faulty reasoning. It would be correct for an individual to say "Civ3 is my favorite game" or "I think Civ3 is a great game." Those are both qualified statements that are not presumptious nor based on faulty reasoning [Inspite of what you may think, Yin ].

And as for all of the posting by whiners and fanboys alike, I have been doing some serious thinking about it. Why am I (and others) willing to spend an hour or two reading and responding to posts? The answer was so obvious that it was easy to overlook. Most of us who play computer games lead "solitary" lives. We may be surrounded by friends and family but it is rare to find one that understands our obsession. Try explaining REX or ICS to your spouse or parent and you'll see what I mean. It's only on Forums like this that we find others that share our passion.

Whether or not we like Civ3 is really irrelevant. Whether or not we even currently play Civ3 or Civ2 is irrelevant. We are here because Turn-Based Strategy games are our passion. We want to share our ideas with others, talk about great games, gripe about pet peeves, and even argue about minor points.

With every post, it matters not that you agree. With every post, it matters not if you like me. With every post, it only matters that you understand............
Old December 19, 2001, 11:42   #23
Code Monkey
Chieftain

Re: To those who like Civ3
Quote:
Originally posted by Deornwulf
I have a simple challenge for you fanboys, put something besides the rhetoric you accuse the critics of into your posts. All I have seen is whining about the whining. What is it that you specifically like about the game? We critics are getting tired of hearing you merely applaud the game. If I were grading your posts in my class, you would get an "F" for a lack of details. It's not good enough to just say you like the game. Give reasons and be prepared to defend your viewpoint.
There really should be no need to justify why you like something. It's perfectly reasonable that a whole lot of people aren't going to like a particular thing. Even they shouldn't need to justify their opinion unless they, for some unfathomable reason, make a hobby of attacking people who like the game and are trying to discuss it because the game obviously sucks and/or is so flawed beyond belief they can't possibly see how anyone could like it and dammit they're going to show these idiots the bitter light of truth.

But, since you asked:

I like that the rules of the game have been streamlined to make for better AI - all the choices in the world didn't help SMAC when the AI was incapable of utilising any of them effectively. I'm a single player with TBS games, for mp I'll go play FPS or even occasionally RTS. In this case, less complexity actually does make for a better, more challenging game.

I like the much improved AI over Civ2 or SMAC.

I like the flux in the civ strengths that strategic resources and luxuries impose on the game.

I like the strategic challenges imposed by the corruption model used.

I like the fact that simplified combat makes for more strategic and tactical battles. It's very important to time attacks, to use terrain to your benefit, to consider where the defenders can come from for counter attacks, and so on. It's not perfect, but it's much better than anything that's come before in the series.

I like the addition of worker animations and the generally well done "volumetric" sprites for units.

I like that the game remains a challenge for most of the timeline instead of just the first 1/4 of the game before I rise to 20X greater in power than anyone else but still have to play for another 18 hours to win. I have won and lost games of Civ3 by mere turns, that never happened in Civ2 or SMAC.

Last, I like that I have fun playing the game, does there really need to be a better reason for saying you like a game?

I want to see the AI tweaked, I want to see the interface improved, but I like the underlying game that they gave me. I don't see the need to dislike something for things that aren't there if what is there is good enough for me to have fun playing it.
Old December 19, 2001, 11:53   #24
Libertarian
King

Speaking as an empire builder, I agree that the game is fun. Up until somewhere around the late industrial age. After that, playing Civ3 is akin to eating your peas one at a time — with a heavy weight tied to your wrist.
Old December 19, 2001, 12:28   #25
Master Marcus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by N. Machiavelli
Who said "broken beyond repair"? Care to give the source of that quote?
You can perform the search yourself and find the threads related to ( first weeks after release in Civ III- General forum ).

Oh yes, I'm a fanboy, but with a review of 87%, you'll find that I'm well below the average enthusiast reviewer. Read the review section, and I can tell you how Civ III is not a perfect game. Want more details? Play the game or go away.

Think I'm whining about the whiners? OK, perhaps I'll agree on this , for now I'm leaving this thread and everything related to whining. If you think I don't want constructive criticism, you understand nothing. I'm lurking regularly threads such as bugs list, v1.16f issues, etc...

Happy Christmas
Old December 19, 2001, 12:28   #26
Cookie Monster
King

"Care for some cheese with your whine?"

The whining has gotten so far out of hand that I don't pay attention to them anymore. Most of them are just a waste of bandwidth.

Just play the game.

"What?"

Just play the game.

"What?"

"Just bring it!"
Old December 19, 2001, 13:57   #27
Heliodorus
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:43
On the whiners:
I'm generally bothered by negativity in the world. It's easy to look at a thing and find it's faults. That only requires you to conceptualize the ideal and point out where reality diverges from it. That's TOO EASY. I personally believe that it's better for us as individuals to find things to be happy about. Finding ways to be satisfied requires us to rein in our fantasitic desires, imposed expectations, and address our personal shortcomings. I'm this way about politics, employment, and Civ3.

The WORST game I ever bought was MAX2. It sucked on toast, and one of the scenarios was designed such that it was impossible to succeed in it due to movement times and a scenario time limit (talk about lack of QA and playtesting). My solution was to stop playing it. I stopped going to message boards, I stopped trying to learn different approaches, I just stopped playing it (actually, I'm overlooking the post I put on a message board in which I berated the designers, saying something along the lines that I hoped they died of an diarhea - a low point in my personal development which led me to my current position).

I buy bad games once in a while. It's mostly my fault, though. Unfortunately, a lot of people fail to realize that there is a horde of CRAP released in this consumer market simply because, as Will Rogers said, "Nobody Ever Went Broke Underestimating the Good Taste of the American Public." If one wants to avoid buying bad games, one has to exercise some measure of foresightedness, patience, and intelligence.

Lots of you guys waited and waited for Civ3, and pre-ordered it only to learn it didn't meet your expectations once it was being played on your PC at home. That's YOUR fault, not Firaxis'. It's YOUR fault because you didn't wait for reviews, and you didn't go to boards such as this where people who can honestly criticize could dissuade you from buying this product. If you had decided not to purchase Civ3 "sight unseen" then you could have exercised patience, foresightedness, and intelligence in determining whether the product would suit your interests.

Whether or not Firaxis released a crappy product is NOT relevant. YOU BOUGHT IT, and you are responsible for what you buy and why. You bought a game based on Sid Meier's noteable past - well, Neville Chaimberlain signed a few treaties with Adolf Hitler thinking his reputation was good. Worse can happen than getting a bad game when you believe in reputations. Bad movies are made on the names of great reputations.

You bought a game based on a noteworthy and interesting preview? Your fault. You were gullible to the hype of the writer and the developer, and you were oblivious to the fact that what goes on in the design room doesn't necessarily make it into the game. By now, you understand my point in this. Accept personal responsibility for how you ended up buying a product that would ultimately dissatisfy you. Learn from the process through which you came to have an unfulfilling product in your possession and your money in Infogrames' possession. Try not to repeat the process.

On an ironic note, I waited for Civ3's release rather excitedly. I read the gamespot review, then I read pages of READER reviews of Civ3. In reading the reader reviews, especially the low scores, I decided NOT to purchase Civ3.

A few weeks later I bought a game at Media Play, took it home and tried to install it, and the CD was bad, so no install. I took it back, and on a whim, I decided that rather than rebuy the same game (which didn't look all that intriguing once I got it out of the box and read the rules), I would take a chance on Civ3 - thinking the bad CD of the first game was an ill omen. I have loved Civ3 ever since. So all of the negative reviews I read were misinforming me to the fun I'd have with Civ3.d

Now Deornwulf has asked me to say what I do like, and at the risk of going on and on and on in this post, I shall.

I LIKE how diplomacy works. It makes little alliances pay off over short periods, and it makes sharing technology worth doing.

I LIKE the way combat works. The AI can stay in the game a lot longer with the simplified combat system (I wish to god the AI upgraded units, though).

I LIKE the insanely expanding AI because I have to pay close attention to what I'm doing to keep the AI early lead from destroying my chance at victory.

I like the Civ traits and UUs exceedingly well (some are more useful than others, obviously, but great concept).

I like strat resources.

I won't go into what could have been (or may still yet be) improved, with this one exception:
STACKED MOVEMENT DAMN YOU! STACKED MOVEMENT!

People don't like to feel that they did something dumb or foolish. Rather than admit to personal mistakes (and dealing with the notion of being disappointed with one's self) and directing energies toward more rewarding behaviors in the future, they take their frustration with themself and project it onto another object, and blame it as the source of their negative experience. This is often done unconsciously.

Flame away if you care to prove my point
Old December 19, 2001, 14:20   #28
Libertarian
King

Quote:
Flame away if you care to prove my point
Care to explain why that's not a complex question fallacy?
Old December 19, 2001, 14:31   #29
Deornwulf
Warlord

Heliodorus & Code Monkey

I appreciate your responses to my challenge. You both have brought up some good reasons for liking the game. I agree with the interesting twists that strategic resources have added to the game. It throws in a certain element of chance that leave victory in doubt. At least for those unwilling to brutally take what they need.

This has given me a idea for a new thread. It's just crazy enough that it might work. Look for the Good and the bad thread and if you are game repost what you wrote here.
Old December 19, 2001, 15:21   #30
Zealot
King

I find it really amazing that the majority of whiners about whining are just newbies!
Just because there are some people who are unsatisfied with Civ 3 doesn't mean that they are kids, or just don't have anything else to do, or anything of what that stupid poll is pointing out!
In fact, the majority of these newbies are in fact under 18!!! (at least from the small sample I made, they were under 18! )
But what's really annoying, is to see those kids starting threads like this whining about others pointing out what they dislike in a game that the "elder" at Apolyton dedicated their time to feedback Firaxis about what should be cool in Civ 3!
IMO, guys like Yin have all the legitimacy to rant all they want, because they tried to help Firaxis to make the best Civ ever! And what has the outcome been? YOU don't know because you're just a bunch of newbies whining about some members who have been here and know how Civ 3 should have evolved!

Cut the crap, and stop creating threads like these! If there are rude people attacking Firaxis, do what I do: don't read them!

MM, I hope you know that I respect your oppinions, but I don't think how may you help on this subject by joining these newbies.