Old December 19, 2001, 10:55   #1
cheerful
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Corruption: Democracy vs. Republic
Has anyone quantified the difference of corruption between Democracy and Republic? I am trying to figure out if it is worthwhile to research democracy early.
Old December 19, 2001, 11:09   #2
bahoo
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:44
To add to the question, what about the difference between war weariness in the two?
Old December 19, 2001, 12:10   #3
Deornwulf
Warlord

Corruption Levels
The corruption levels for Democracy are Minimal while those of a Republic are a Nuisance. I hope those two adjectives clear things up for you. The official recommendation would be to buy the Prima Official Strategy Guide. I checked in one at Barnes & Noble and was enlightened by their insight that a Democracy reduces the level of corruption experienced by a Republic.

BTW: The editor has the same level of helpful information.

Deornwulf - The Very Cynical English Teacher
Old December 20, 2001, 12:28   #4
cheerful
Chieftain

My test result
No one seems to have a direct answer. So here is my test result:

Standard map, about 30 cities, with Capital and FP built at good location (double ring with a lobe extending from one side).

Republic: 18.6% corruption
Democracy: 16.5% corruption

The date is from Domestic Advisor.

I hope more people will post the data. This way we can have better judgement on the research path.
Old December 20, 2001, 13:07   #5
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Deornwulf. B ut whaddya 'spect from a company whos idea of great strategy is:

"....ummmm....build settlers in the early game....dude."

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old December 20, 2001, 13:20   #6
Zealot
King

Local Time: 19:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Deornwulf. B ut whaddya 'spect from a company whos idea of great strategy is:

"....ummmm....build settlers in the early game....dude."

-=Vel=-
Old December 20, 2001, 13:59   #7
Unregistered
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:44
Re: My test result
Quote:
Originally posted by cheerful
No one seems to have a direct answer. So here is my test result:

Standard map, about 30 cities, with Capital and FP built at good location (double ring with a lobe extending from one side).

Republic: 18.6% corruption
Democracy: 16.5% corruption

The date is from Domestic Advisor.

I hope more people will post the data. This way we can have better judgement on the research path.
Do you remember what your gnp was under each govt? You should be making more money under democracy..

Thanks,
-- "Mr. Glencannon" - Guy Gilpatrick
Old December 20, 2001, 15:09   #8
cheerful
Chieftain

GNP
IIRC, they are roughly the same -- about 1050. Since you need to switch gov and undergo anarchy for a few turns, can't compare to last digit.
Old December 20, 2001, 15:11   #9
cheerful
Chieftain

GNP
IIRC, they are roughly the same -- about 1050. Since you need to switch gov and undergo anarchy for a few turns, can't compare to last digit.

Why democracy generate better GNP? As as commerce and production goes, democracy and republic seem to be the same to me, except worker is faster under democracy. Isn't it?
Old December 20, 2001, 17:54   #10
David Weldon
Warlord

Local Time: 10:44
Cheerful,
Yup, the total trade generated is equal between the two. They both get a bonus trade in any square already producing trade.

I did a similar test a long time ago and had my non-corruption income go from 1213 to 1278 (or so, it was about +60 on a base of 1200). Not very impressive. As for war-weariness I have no numbers, but I have never experienced any weariness under Republic, whereas I have under Democracy. I think the war-weariness difference is substantial.

I think the corruption effects are influenced by another factor, however. There is distance-based corruption and too-many-cities-based corruption. Most things that reduce corruption only operate on the first kind. If you have too many cities for your world size, the corruption that results is nearly un-preventable. The result is that Democracy might help a lot, but only if you aren't already experiencing type 2 corruption.

Even though it doesn't really help (and in fact it makes war more difficult), I still go to Democracy for the faster workers. Anything that reduces micro-management by allowing me to get the same job done with fewer units is worth it in my book.
Experience to extremes" -RUSH 'The Enemy Within'
Old December 20, 2001, 22:50   #11
Badtz Maru
Prince

Local Time: 12:44
Lately I have been holding off on switching to Democracy until I get Steam Power, unless I still have a lot of terraforming to do by the time I get it, as it's biggest benefit (in my opinion) is making your workers 50% faster. An Industrious civilization with Democracy and with Replaceable Parts builds FAST.
Old December 20, 2001, 23:04   #12
Redstar
Warlord

are you guys serious??
I'm a demo in the year 2070 playing the english (started in australia so obviously i'm just playing for fun)

I am building a forbidden palace. I have only 36 more turns to go (remember its now 2070 and i started it like 150 turns ago (or 320 when i first started building).)

I have the police station and the courthouse.

yet here is why i post....In the city i am trying to build FP in...

i produce 24 shields and only 6 are not wasted.

30 commerce and only 7 are not wasted.

Should corruption really be this bad without a palace influence?

If so, how do you guys manage to throw in a forbidden palace when it takes so long to build in a corrupt 3rd world?

( heh, i changed my question slightly as i realized that my corruption would of course be higher since it was not ameliorated by the palace )

I agree..50% faster workers is a huge bonus until you have developed everything.
Old December 21, 2001, 00:49   #13
SithUK
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Edit the bicstats file with the editor and reduce the cost of the Palace and the FP to 1. No more 1000turns to build a FP or relocate your palace =)

Sith
Old December 21, 2001, 06:37   #14
Fayadi
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Corruption Levels
Quote:
Originally posted by Deornwulf
The corruption levels for Democracy are Minimal while those of a Republic are a Nuisance. I hope those two adjectives clear things up for you. The official recommendation would be to buy the Prima Official Strategy Guide. I checked in one at Barnes & Noble and was enlightened by their insight that a Democracy reduces the level of corruption experienced by a Republic.

BTW: The editor has the same level of helpful information.

Deornwulf - The Very Cynical English Teacher
Do you work for Prima ?You are the first person I know to recommend Prima official strategy guide
Tell you what.....Prima Guide sucks!!big time!!!What the helll.....I have 2 prima guide free from Starcraft Battlechest and they both sucks.....My friend told me that Civ3 prima guide sucks too,the tips are for newbies !All are newbies strategies....Prima sucks!the guide are good only for newbies!
Old December 21, 2001, 07:10   #15
Dev
Warlord

Dripping sarcasm is lost on some~

/dev
Old December 21, 2001, 07:19   #16
Libertarian
King

Damnation. I haven't seen a whoosh like that since Muggsy Bogues tried to block a Dikembe Mutombo dunk.
Old December 21, 2001, 15:24   #17
David Weldon
Warlord

Local Time: 10:44
hehehehe *chuckling from a few posts up* it's always nice to have some humor in the threads...

As for building the FP, I have two words for you, Redstar:

Great Leader

Your very first one, even if it's your only one, should be used on the FP. If you're not ready to build an FP, save the GL 'till you are.

If you don't get any GLs, build the FP in your current capital, and then "march" your palace to where you would have built the FP, building it in a neighbor city (that has little corruption because it's close to your current capital) and then building it again in the new capital's neighbor city etc...

The only possible exception could be if you're Militaristic and want to make an army to get Heroic Epic to get _more_ GLs. If you think you can get enough payoff doing that and if you intend to fight enough that you might get a second GL before you want to build your FP, then go ahead and build the army. 99% of the time saving for the FP is more efficient.
Experience to extremes" -RUSH 'The Enemy Within'
Old December 21, 2001, 17:50   #18
cheerful
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by David Weldon
If you don't get any GLs, build the FP in your current capital, and then "march" your palace to where you would have built the FP, building it in a neighbor city (that has little corruption because it's close to your current capital) and then building it again in the new capital's neighbor city etc...
Post-patch, this won't work. My palace is costing over 1000 shields in early middle age with about 20 cities (about 100 turns). I ended up building FP in a not-far-away city and live with it until I get a GL to move palace.
Old December 21, 2001, 19:56   #19
Redstar
Warlord

knew someone would say that...
"As for building the FP, I have two words for you, Redstar:

Great Leader
"

it was not an option...starting in Australia ensured i was well behind the other civs..so much so, in fact, that i gave in to all demands made of me for thousands of years.

I was further kept behind because of the great corruption in africa.
But finally, i'm actually stronger than all but 1 civ now.
I am ready to fight..for a leader.

hehe, but its 2070 --a tad bit late.

On the bright side, i will have a shiny new FP in 2102. Yeah me. hehe
Old December 22, 2001, 10:21   #20
Phoxtrot
Settler

Building FP
As everyboy said : Great Leader.

Else, first get your city to "we love the *** day" : it reduces corruption.

You can also decide to build it slightly closer to your cap. than you would like..

Last idea would be to switch to Communism (v1.16) as corruption never goes above 20% or such (don't remember exact number).
Communism is however quite costly : No commerce bonus and a slightly higher overall corruption % unless you have a BIG empire.
The free unit upkeeps is nice but usually worth less than 10% of your income.

Phoxtrot
Old December 22, 2001, 10:38   #21
Peets
Warlord

Local Time: 19:44
Re: Building FP
Quote:
Originally posted by Phoxtrot
Last idea would be to switch to Communism (v1.16) as corruption never goes above 20% or such (don't remember exact number).
Communism is however quite costly : No commerce bonus and a slightly higher overall corruption % unless you have a BIG empire.

Phoxtrot
20%???
80% would be more better
When I change to communism I never had only 20%, maybe I'm just to big
Old December 22, 2001, 17:06   #22
Code Monkey
Chieftain

Re: Building FP
Quote:
Originally posted by Phoxtrot
As everyboy said : Great Leader.

Else, first get your city to "we love the *** day" : it reduces corruption.

You can also decide to build it slightly closer to your cap. than you would like..

Phoxtrot
Never played with communism much, have you?

Get an empire large enough and it replicates the Soviet Union by collapsing in on itself. Every time you add a city with a base 99% corruption, that gets averaged across your whole empire. Pretty soon, you can't get corruption below 60% with a court house and a police station in any city and at 0 science/0 luxury you'll still be bleeding money.

I've used communism to fuel late game domination but it's a race to win before my nest egg from democratic days is all used up.
Old December 22, 2001, 20:24   #23
Redstar
Warlord

slight correction
my fp time actually went up to 42 turns because i had forgotten i was in a golden age when i last posted. hehe

(hard to move your fp closer when its going in to tame africa but you are based in australia --which of course is why i implied you should start a new game if you are forced to start in australia.

And yes, as i posted before, after the patch (to lower corruption among other things)...

my large commie empire actually started losing 1300 o a turn vs pre-patch heavy corruption. lol )

so i guess my point here is that the only solution to tame corruption far a field is based on limited situations.

getting a leader --means you must fight.
Building FP closer to palace means you must be able to physically do that and put up with lower effciency once done..
or you just wait out the 300 years.

Best option i guess is to use that editor.

I don't mind as i think corruption is being further tweaked.