Old December 19, 2001, 19:57   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What should I do First
I'll have EU I in a few weeks, do you have any suggestions on what I should do first in the game?

Anything special, goals, settings?
Old December 19, 2001, 20:41   #2
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 14:45
Russia in the Age of Revolutions scenario.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2001, 16:22   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Is it interesting- is it good for war or trade? etc? I don't know much about the game... sadly... But soon I will
Old December 20, 2001, 17:51   #4
Kyle
Prince

You start the scenario at war with the Turks. That'll be a little challenge for you, especially since you don't know what you're doing (it was for me).

And yeah, you always have trading, no matter what scenario you're doing.

You can also get some colonization done, as Siberia is wide open to you and you have some North American colonies (Alaska). Plus you can, with Prussia, finish off Poland-Lithuania, etc.

It's very good for the first timer as you get a little bit of everything.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old December 22, 2001, 19:38   #5
DarkCloud
staff

Okay, I'll try that out, thank you
Old December 22, 2001, 21:01   #6
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 13:45
A couple things to watch out for:

- attrition, especially in winter
- slider values... watch them like a hawk.
Old December 25, 2001, 19:42   #7
DarkCloud
staff

Merry Christmas

Well, now I have the game...

Accidentally I chose Russia in the Great Game scenario instead of the age of revolutions... I dedided to start a 'little war' with Poland and thought I could take their cities, however, their army of 20 increased to 94 in 2 years and destroyed moscow... then the game froze...

I restarted and tried as the Austrians and became king Francis I of Austria.

So far, I conquered one of the Bohemian provinces and am allied wiht the Hungarians and have royal marriages with: Venice, B-something, Wurtenburg, Hungary, England, Spain, and some others.

Recently Papal States/France/Lorraine decalred war on England/Spain/etc.

Strangely enough I don't ahve attrition problems?

---
However, a question, why do the provinces change colors during the game?

-
Stran
Old December 28, 2001, 01:00   #8
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

To explain attrition, just select an army and put your hand pointer thing over the number next to the skull.
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2001, 09:07   #9
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:45
Quote:
Global warming.
Old January 4, 2002, 13:45   #10
DarkCloud
staff

Hmm... well, I seem to be doing something wrong- or the game is messed up.

it doesn't log victory points???
I accepted some missions and got messages that I completed the msuccessfuly, however it didn't log them?

Also, according to the game- as the French (I restarted) I have the largest army and most spent on land tech in one screen; and yet, on another screen it says I have the WORST army... and I just got creamed by the 2 landed city state of Lorraine... and then I restarted and beat them by raising taxes, taking loans and with 120 or so army, and yet I CANT DEMAND PROVINCES EVEN THOUGH IT TELLS ME TO. The guide is NO HELP! It doen'st tell me how to explore or demand provinces.

And yes, I played the tutorial until I had to leavve- It didn't let me save .

-
How do I explore on land tech 5- the Spanish are exploring and they have tech 5 or something of the sort.

--
Please help- I cannot play this game
Old January 4, 2002, 14:13   #11
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:45
Ok, I got this for christmas and have been spending plenty of time trying to figure it out. Until you get your land & naval techs up into the 30s and 40s, the only way you'll be able to explore is with explorers and conquistadors. You'll just have to wait patiently for them; the spanish and portugese get them earlier than everyone else. As for demanding territory, first you must capture the province you want, and then you need to demand it in peace negotiations. You cant completely annex a multi-province country in just one war; you need to take all of their other provinces in one war, leaving their capital province, and then take that in another war.

Hope that helps.
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2002, 20:35   #12
Kyle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Hmm... well, I seem to be doing something wrong- or the game is messed up.

it doesn't log victory points???
I accepted some missions and got messages that I completed the msuccessfuly, however it didn't log them?
Make sure Victory points are turned on in the Options screen when you start a game at first. On the other hand, I vaguely remember hearing on the official forums that VP's weren't being awarded sometimes. I don't quite remember what, if any, solution to that was.

Quote:
Also, according to the game- as the French (I restarted) I have the largest army and most spent on land tech in one screen; and yet, on another screen it says I have the WORST army... and I just got creamed by the 2 landed city state of Lorraine...
There's really nothing that says you have the "Worst" army. Victories aren't always determined by who has the largest army. Lorraine may have had a leader or two to go against your armies.

Quote:
and then I restarted and beat them by raising taxes, taking loans and with 120 or so army, and yet I CANT DEMAND PROVINCES EVEN THOUGH IT TELLS ME TO. The guide is NO HELP! It doen'st tell me how to explore or demand provinces.
Did you actually conduct the siege and gain control of the province? If it's Lorraine you're talking about, with two provinces, if you take both of them, you pretty much have to annex them, unless they offer a different proposal. If it's still not working, I'm not sure what could be going on, I've never had that problem in EU. Make sure you have the latest patch for EU 1 (1.10 I think).

Also helpful, take some screenshots at things that don't work (press F11, the screen is save in the EU directory) and link to them.

If you don't get the answers you need here, I strongly suggest going to the official forums. There are a lot of very experience people there. www.europa-universalis.com/forum/index.php is the address. And make sure you go to the EU 1 forum and not the EU 2.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old January 5, 2002, 03:54   #13
uglyduck
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle

Make sure Victory points are turned on in the Options screen when you start a game at first. On the other hand, I vaguely remember hearing on the official forums that VP's weren't being awarded sometimes. I don't quite remember what, if any, solution to that was.

From the 1.09 patch onwards these were turned on by default. Previous to that they were not!

......To check set them in the Options Screen when you set the Random Missions etc. They are called "Base Victory Points"......

There's really nothing that says you have the "Worst" army. Victories aren't always determined by who has the largest army. Lorraine may have had a leader or two to go against your armies.

......There is also the morale factor and terrain etc........

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/
uglyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2002, 03:58   #14
uglyduck
Warlord

Quote:

---

-
Stran
The answer depends on which map view you are using!

I would suggest. as Kyle has, that you register for the official EU forum. We do not bite and answer the basic questions with politeness and rapidity.
If anyone does get stroppy then I quickly cut him down to size

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/
uglyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2002, 16:23   #15
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
Ok, I got this for christmas and have been spending plenty of time trying to figure it out. Until you get your land & naval techs up into the 30s and 40s, the only way you'll be able to explore is with explorers and conquistadors. You'll just have to wait patiently for them; the spanish and portugese get them earlier than everyone else. As for demanding territory, first you must capture the province you want, and then you need to demand it in peace negotiations. You cant completely annex a multi-province country in just one war; you need to take all of their other provinces in one war, leaving their capital province, and then take that in another war.

Hope that helps.
Thank you
Thus, the explorers just pop up in the game? I played from 1490-1525 as the french without an explorer and played 1490-1505 as the austrians wihout.

How do I demand it in peace negotiations; the negotiations won't allow me to
Are you sure about the war requirements?
-

Okay, thank you about the victory point information.
-
About my armies:
In the History book, I had the largest army, etc.
In the Shield click, it said my army was RED ONE STAR compared to the others

-
I suppose I'll look for the patch.
It wouldn't allow me to annex them even though I controlled both provinces; it may have had something to do with their armies running around my provinces... but their armies didn't control ANY of my provinces????

Thank you
Old January 17, 2002, 16:50   #16
SideshowBob
Settler

Thus, the explorers just pop up in the game? I played from 1490-1525 as the french without an explorer and played 1490-1505 as the austrians wihout.

Verazzano turns up for the French in 1522, do you know what you are looking for? They look like normal naval leaders except they have a little picture of a sextant next to their name. Also the default message setting is set to only inform you of new leaders in the scroll bar at the bottom. Change your message settings so you get a pop up box.

Regarding Austria they are a land power and exploring/colonising isn't one of their strong points, i don't think they get any explorers as historical leaders but you might get some as a random event if you control a port.

As for peace settlements, go to this thread

http://www.europa-universalis.com/fo...threadid=25586
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2002, 17:11   #17
Tom DeMille
Prince

Quote:

-
About my armies:
In the History book, I had the largest army, etc.
In the Shield click, it said my army was RED ONE STAR compared to the others

-
Was the same for me. This is a bug. I'm pretty sure it comes from China starting with huge armies in provinces that don't support them. China's armies go from several hundred k to a few dozen k within the first few months. The computer must still be tallying their original numbers...
Tom DeMille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2002, 12:20   #18
DarkCloud
staff

Okay, thank you, the game works much better now that I have the patch and IGC

Now, that bug no longer exists.