Old December 15, 2001, 23:52   #1
johnc214
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How can I add "Americans" to the CRADLE Mod?
Ok so I know it's not historical or truly in line with the idea of the Cradle of Civilization mod, but I like to play CTP2 as the Americans. I get database initialization errors when I have tried to "Americans" to the valid civilizations for this mod. Can someone tell me exactly which CRA files to modify and how?

THANKS!
John
Old December 15, 2001, 23:58   #2
johnc214
Chieftain

Sorry for the typo
What I meant was:
I get database initialization errors when I have tried to **add** "Americans" to the valid civilizations for this mod.

The editor wouldn't let me fix it, even though I'm logged in. Weird.

Thanks!

Last edited by johnc214; December 16, 2001 at 00:43.
Old December 16, 2001, 08:53   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:45
Well, it should only involve changing civilization.txt in default\gamedata (or rather CRA_civilization.txt in this case) and civ_str.txt in english/gamedata (CRA_civ_str.txt). Just copy the entry on one of the existing civs for both files and rename everything. Don't forget to increase the number at the top of the (CRA_)civilization.txt file with one (to indicate that the total number of civilizations has increased by one).

I must admit though that I had some very weird problems with adding new civs myself a few days ago, I eventually ended up reinstalling the whole game to get rid of them (and I'm still not quite sure if it worked because I got distracted by other things). What kind of errors are you getting? If my above explanation doesn't help, could you post the exact messages you're getting?

Edit: testing, please ignore.

Last edited by Locutus; January 10, 2002 at 09:37.
Old December 16, 2001, 15:11   #4
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 13:45
There is a couple of files with the majority of the original civs (including Americans) in the english/gamedata and the default/gamedata folders. Each of those folders has a folder called CRA_playing options - within those folders are the files for the original civs in them. Take the

CRA_civilization.txt
CRA_civ_str.txt files

located there and switch them with the existing files.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old December 16, 2001, 20:43   #5
johnc214
Chieftain

Thanks for your help! I had modified those but had left off the "}" character at the end of the 'Americans' listing in one of the files. Therefore, I was getting errors when I tried to run it. After seeing your posts and convincing myself there were no other files needing to be changed, I looked again and found my error.

So simple, yet so frustrating! Thanks again!

Last edited by johnc214; December 17, 2001 at 03:05.
Old December 17, 2001, 10:24   #6
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 13:45
Miss one little character and it throws everything off...

When I was setting up the ancient civ city lists, I missed a quote mark on one of the lines of text. It took me 8 hours to locate the error.

That was the most frustration I had with setting up this Mod. Most everything else went smoothly.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old December 18, 2001, 17:22   #7
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:45
Yeah, those details can really get to you. Fortunately tracking them down because easier with experience (as *extremely* experienced modder I should know)
That's why copy-'n-paste is often a good way to work: at least you can't forget anything... Of course, then there's the risk of copy-'n-pasting too much but you can't have everything :-|