Old May 23, 2000, 11:08   #1
amjayee
Prince

Local Time: 02:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Once in a lifetime opportunity to take part in making a great computer game!
Hi!

Like you can see, all you civ fans now have an opportunity to take part in designing a great new computer game. I'm talking about Openciv3.

Like the name tells, our game is inspired by the coming Civilization 3. It will be an open source game, meaning that everyone will have access to the source code. The name of the game is not decided yet, Openciv3 is only the project name.

Eventhough our game owes a lot to civ2 and SMAC, and to the discussion held over civ3, it will not be a clone of any existing game. It will be a completely new game, and everything is possible. All design stuff is public. Anyone can send ideas for the game.

You can visit our webpage for more info: civ3.sourceforge.net. To take part to programming (all help is much welcomed!) join our mailing list. It can be found from our sourceforge project site, here.

To join the design discussion, all you need to do is to read our threads in the Alternate Civs forum of Apolyton. Here is a link to it. Then send your comments and ideas. Our policy is, that all good ideas will be implemented (with some reason, it has to remain playable & civ-game-like).

There are already many ideas in the threads, but nothing is final. We have hardly started the design work, so there is much to do for everybody. Best way to start with is the general discussion thread, and the basic concepts thread.

Looking forward for good cooperation,
amjayee
a member of Openciv3 team
[This message has been edited by amjayee (edited May 23, 2000).]
Old May 24, 2000, 05:16   #2
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:25
I know that you said this was not a clone of any existing civ game, but it seems suspiciously similar to FreeCiv, the open source Civ game for Linux, now also in Windows flavours.

(I'm not trying to be critical - I think it's a great idea!)

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old May 24, 2000, 09:55   #3
amjayee
Prince

Ultrasonix:

No, it is not a freeciv clone - or a clone of anything else either. It is an empire building game, that will take the best parts of the existing games in the genre, and add many things of its own.

Similarities to existing games cannot be avoided, but the game system will be different from all other games. And hopefully better. What made you think it is similar to freeciv?

Everyone, come and make your suggestions about the game system in the Alternative Civilizations forum! Everything is possible, for now!
[This message has been edited by amjayee (edited May 29, 2000).]
Old May 29, 2000, 03:18   #4
pris
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:25
If you want to run FreeCiv on Windows you first need to download & install an X Server and a compiler. (15Mb+) That's not an optimal solution.

OpenCiv looks to be using DirectX so it will be going straight to the 'metal'. This is the way to go.
Old May 29, 2000, 09:17   #5
amjayee
Prince

Pris:

Yes, DirectX allows fairly good hardware independency in windows environment. It is also fairly efficient. One of the best APIs of Microsoft in my opinion.

We will create the system so, that it is easy to make an opengl version, or a linux port etc. It has only minimum windows code.

Come and make design suggestions! We are also going to have a design meeting on IRC. Come to Undernet next Saturday (3rd June 2000) at 2300 GMT. Channel is #openciv3. There, we will propably lay the groundwork for the design of Openciv3. Be there if you want to make your opinions heard!
Old July 23, 2000, 18:42   #6
The Joker
Prince

To bump this back up I would like to quickly state, that by joining the OpenCiv3 team we will not expect any amount of work from you. You can do as much or as little as you like. You can post one comment at the alt. civs forum and we will be grateful to you. Or you could quit your job/education and become a full time programmer . Everybody is useful and will be welcome. You don't even have to "join" anything. Just post a suggestion and we will consider it.

Hoping that some of you will join.
Old July 23, 2000, 19:22   #7
tonic
King

quote:

Originally posted by pris on 05-29-2000 03:18 AM
If you want to run FreeCiv on Windows you first need to download & install an X Server and a compiler. (15Mb+) That's not an optimal solution.

There is an alternative Windows Freeciv that does not require an X-Server - see the Windows section of their freeciv.org site.
Old July 24, 2000, 00:11   #8
phunny pharmer
Chieftain

How many people are taking part in this?
Sounds interesting!!!
Old July 24, 2000, 08:11   #9
The Joker
Prince

The main difference between our game and FreeCiv, apart from the fact that FreeCiv is linux based where our game is windows based is, that where FreeCiv is only trying to make a Civ2 clone, with very little innovation, we are trying to make an entire new game.

Phunny pharmer:

We are 3 or 4 core programmers, and 6 core designers. Besides this there have been many people that has just made a few posts.

We are aware that this amount is not nearly enough to make a game. Therefor everybody is welcome!

It is great to hear that you are interested, phunny pharmer!
Old July 24, 2000, 16:19   #10
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 03:25
quote:

Originally posted by tonic on 07-23-2000 07:22 PM
There is an alternative Windows Freeciv that does not require an X-Server - see the Windows section of their freeciv.org site.

Yes, I have the FreeCiv for invalids too !
Old July 25, 2000, 20:30   #11
phunny pharmer
Chieftain

Will/does Freeciv have an AI? I looked on your web page, and from what I gather, it is only multiplayer based. What do you do in games that don't have 4-8 players?
Old July 26, 2000, 09:56   #12
The Joker
Prince

I am not sure, actually. I think it is mainly supposed to be a multiplayer game. But don't take my word for it. My knowledge about FreeCiv is simply too little to know these things.
Old August 4, 2000, 05:28   #13
Otso Vuorio
Settler

Are you sure Firaxis still reads these messages? (I hope it does)
Old August 5, 2000, 08:21   #14
The Joker
Prince

None of us actually know if they are.

I think that they propably do, but that it might very well be too late for them to implement any ideas at this moment.

I also fear that Firaxis will be really conservative regarding Civ3, and that they wont implement many revolutionary features.

This was our main reason for starting OpenCiv3: A dream, that we could make a Civ game the way Civ3 should be, if we were in charge.

We still need more people, so everybody interested please check out the discussion at the Alternative Civs forum.