Old December 20, 2001, 23:17   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 18:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If I could change but one thing about Civ3....
It would be that the folk at Firaxis would each load a copy of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 onto their computers at work.

Open the scenario editor.

Study it extensively and reverse-engineer.

And make a Civ3 editor along those same lines.

IMO, the HOMM3 editor is among the very best in class. The terrain graphics can be combined for some truly *heart stopping,* beautiful effects, everything is drag and drop, save for the land itself, which is painted on via brush. Events are drag/drop/type/radio-buttons controlling timing. Starting postions....also drag and drop. Most everything is customizable.

Simply awesome.

I love the game (Civ3), and with an editor like that.....wow....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old December 21, 2001, 00:40   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 14:47
HoMM3 is awesome. End stop. Period. And though I never used its editor, to see Vel here singing its praises just knocked the HoMM series another level higher in my book.

Have you seen the shots of HoMM4? Great stuff!

Anyway, yes. Firaxis. Listen to Vel. He's even sometimes right! (...now forum people who don't know better will miss my intended humor, as we know Vel is *never* right ... kidding)

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old December 21, 2001, 09:57   #3
Ozymandous
Prince

Local Time: 13:47
Hey Vel,

From what I have read an editor like that is what they want to eventually have in Civ3.

Now whether or not they can or will finish it to that degree is anyone's guess, but I believe that was what they meant when the comment was made about a good editor is better than the cheat menu from Civ2.

Let's cross our fingers, maybe when they get done we'll have an editor like that.
Old December 21, 2001, 10:23   #4
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 18:47
'morning guys!

Yes....I DO hope that when the dust settles and no more patches are forthcoming, the editor we have for Civ3 approaches the same level of greatness as the HOMM3 editor. I only made 2 scenarios (the fatally flawed and impossibly hard "Here there be Dragons" and the much more precisely balanced "Seventh Kingdom")for HOMM3, but spent endless hours tweaking and pouring over them, and I can tell you, for someone who doesn't have much patience for that sort of thing, the way the editor is put together....the way you go about CREATING with it is so engaging it's rather like a game in and of itself! Absolutely absorbing, and....fantastic!

As for HOMM4, I've been following it's progress very closely, and am looking forward to playing it....however, even when I get that one, something tells me that HOMM3 will retain its place on my hard drive....

-=Vel=-
(Gimmie Deemer and a fistful of those sturdy Dungeon troops and stand well clear!)

PS to Yin:
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Last edited by Velociryx; December 21, 2001 at 10:30.
Old December 21, 2001, 10:52   #5
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Local Time: 13:47
If I could change just one thing . . .
. . . about CivIII, it would be to have combined arms attacks similar to CtP2, in which archers stand behind the spearman and have a ranged attack and the horseman stand on the flanks attempting to flank the enemy.

I just enjoyed finally seeing in a civ game some semblance of combined arms combat, even if it wasnt' perfect. It was enjoyable and much more realistic.

Of course, this type of feature goes hand in hand with stacked movement.